• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup 15/16 - SF1 (Saracens vs Wasps)

Really good set of play from the cockroaches there.

- - - Updated - - -

That looked awful... Replay will be brutal.

Wasps have been just as bad, bar 1min of play

Are you joking? We haven't actually had the ball...the first half possession stats were ridiculous.
Second half so far, yes we've tried to play too much in our own half going nowhere because Saracens are a team of jacklers 1-15.

That was awful from Farrell.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, the really sad thing is that Wales have found yet another openside who is better than James Haskell; Thomas Young is very unlucky not to be playing, better than Haskell to be honest.

So that's by my calculations about the 3rd time in history that the quick lineout to the front and back to the hooker (whatever that's called) has actually worked. There was that time with Ibanez for Wasps in the Heineken Cup, I think New Zealand did it in the world cup final... the joke's on us

Last edited:
Only get to watch English clubs when they play in the ERC, as don't have BT sport, but if this is the pinnacle of club rugby in the NH then I'll stick with Super Rugby. Quality in this game and the Toulon v Racing match 2 weeks ago has been severely lacking. NH club rugby is just too attritional and doesn't keep my attention. We keep saying it's conditions, but Chiefs v Hurricanes was played in windy conditions and still there were 7 tries. No wonder our international teams are lagging behind the SH if this is the pinnacle of European rugby. For me, Super rugby is a couple of levels above this borefest.

Only get to watch English clubs when they play in the ERC, as don't have BT sport, but if this is the pinnacle of club rugby in the NH then I'll stick with Super Rugby. Quality in this game and the Toulon v Racing match 2 weeks ago has been severely lacking. NH club rugby is just too attritional and doesn't keep my attention. We keep saying it's conditions, but Chiefs v Hurricanes was played in windy conditions and still there were 7 tries. No wonder our international teams are lagging behind the SH if this is the pinnacle of European rugby. For me, Super rugby is a couple of levels above this borefest.

But then again you missed games like Saracens v Saints and Wasps v Exeter.

And wait till after the summer tours to judge.

McIntyre's card was inevitable.

But Itoje was cynical and wasn't that half the point of the sin bin?

Both should have gone.

I think that should be a warning to Itoje and play on.

Itoje only feels comfortable holding because he's not expecting to be kicked for it... That sort of cynical play will only be sorted by self policing.

Is the referee not going to talk to Itoje about holding onto his foot?
Poite talking to Smith....funny thing is I'm pretty sure Smith understands the game the better of the two.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that should be a warning to Itoje and play on.

Itoje only feels comfortable holding because he's not expecting to be kicked for it... That sort of cynical play will only be sorted by self policing.

exactly...it's complete crap, good refereeing in rugby would mean that sort of stuff not happening because players can't get away with it. It's insane that Poite doesn't even say a word to Itoje.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the referee not going to talk to Itoje about holding onto his foot?
Poite talking to Smith....funny thing is I'm pretty sure Smith understands the game the better of the two.

- - - Updated - - -

exactly...it's complete crap, good refereeing in rugby would mean that sort of stuff not happening because players can't get away with it. It's insane that Poite doesn't even say a word to Itoje.

Ok now I'm really mad...how can referees not notice when players competing for the ball are lying on top of the ruck to support their body

If this had been two French teams playing a semi final in France, the stadium would have been full....

The only reason that cynical play by Itoje was even noticed was because he took a boot for his trouble. Which is exactly the type of thing I was talking about when I said that sort of thing doesn't get punished very often.

The only reason that cynical play by Itoje was even noticed was because he took a boot for his trouble. Which is exactly the type of thing I was talking about when I said that sort of thing doesn't get punished very often.

Holding on at the ruck doesn't go punished very often because refs have decided it's not worth the effort to look for it.
And to an extent, I'd agree with that... there are enough things for them to be worrying about - there are only so many things someone can look at, at any one time.
Which Is what I mean by self-policing being the only way to realistically combat it.

Players don't get penalised for tackling a player without the ball very often because it's ****ing stupid so it doesn't happen very often. They do invariably get penalised when they do it, however.

Last edited:
There are a whole bunch of sneaky tactics that are commonplace, those are just two of many and for the most part are rarely punished. If it is penalised it is stupid, if you get away with it then it isn't.

Latest posts