• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Champions Cup 2018] Final - Leinster v Racing 92

Worst final since my boys v muster years ago .
Well done Leinster on winning.
History wont remember it unless your a Blue supporter.

Nah that was an excellent final IMO.

Enjoyed it despite the result, no point in trying to take it away from Leinster, not at their best but Racing where up for it and still couldn't win.
Shame it came down to one silly error by Thomas but that is what finals are about.

Lancaster is an Irish hero and a patriot.

giphy.gif

Slightly sobering up for a nice day of study tomorrow...

Not exactly what I was expecting, I don't think anyone was expecting a tryless game. Leinster didn't really play well, similar to the first half at home to Exe but to not give credit to the teams that stopped us playing is extremely one eyed. I thought we were a lot better after McGrath went off, he was slow around the pitch and Iribaren's kicks were less effective once JGP was on, on the other hand Lowe would have been a huge improvement so not starting either New Zealander was a mistake. Both sides lived offside, and were allowed to do whatever they wanted in the ruck in as the offensive team which really stalled the match. Ster just about good value for the win and definitely deserving tournament winners. Sexton already talking about next week which is great, we've ****** up enough doubles in the past!

How shitty must poor Jordi feel about leaving the rolls Royce for a banged up rover next season.

Leinster weren't great today but figured out a way to win and well were best team in Europe this year. 9/9 proves that.

Hard luck to Racing. I said they would have shot during week and media were writing them off wrongly. Effectively a moment of madness cost them the game.

Now next week we show James Ryan how to **** up a double

Engaging game I thought.

Will be interesting to compare the Top 14 playoffs to these Champions Cup games in terms of quality and engagement.

That was a great game admirably not a try fest but a real Arm ressle, it keeps getting pointed out that Leinster were not at their best but I think a hell of a lot of that goes down to racing, they were so physical and didn't let Leinster play their game.

I think Leinster are more or less consistantly on their game just some teams who can physically match them can cause problems but like all good sides they always find a way.

Fair play to Leinster they were deservid winners, who would bet against them winning the pro 14.

It felt like a game of chess and was as close as I expected. I enjoyed it.

Engaging game I thought.

Will be interesting to compare the Top 14 playoffs to these Champions Cup games in terms of quality and engagement.

in terms of engagement? It will be one notch above the CCup final. Either Castres or Toulouse will want smash those Parisians. You can never discount regional rivalries and our common love of the Parisians. Racing scalp up for grab with Tales at 10. Same for the other semi final.
And for quality we'll go one better by actually scoring tries...

Last edited:
As games go that was ridiculously tense and as nerve-racking as any game since 2009. (Maybe Toulon in 2015 but I wanted us to sack MOC and we wouldn't have if we'd won that game so it wasn't too bad.) James Ryan is some player. I know Lancaster gets all the media hype but Leo Cullen should be in the frame to be the next Ireland coach.

Engaging game I thought.

in terms of engagement? It will be one notch above the CCup final. Either Castres or Toulouse will want smash those Parisians. You can never discount regional rivalries and our common love of the Parisians. Racing scalp up for grab with Tales at 10. Same for the other semi final.
And for quality we'll go one better by actually scoring tries...
It might be a better game to watch but it won't be better quality. Ringrose, Sexton, Leavy, Ryan and Furlong are all better than anyone who plays in their position in the top 14. Kearney, Henshaw, Fardy and Healy would all be top three on top of that, there's not team in France as good as Leinster as yesterday coupled with the two Montpellier results, which were played without Sexton and one without Kearney and Carbery each, show!

Yesterday was a real tactical battle, Racing's blitz killed Leinster's attack which left every other side in their wake since, both sides played were hugely physical and required smart half back play to capitalise, Sexton was marginally more effective than Iribaren which was what put us in the position to force the mistake out of Thomas which was the winning and losing of the game!

As games go that was ridiculously tense and as nerve-racking as any game since 2009. (Maybe Toulon in 2015 but I wanted us to sack MOC and we wouldn't have if we'd won that game so it wasn't too bad.) James Ryan is some player. I know Lancaster gets all the media hype but Leo Cullen should be in the frame to be the next Ireland coach.
Maybe you could take Andy Farrel and Lancaster to the 2023 world cup? In that case, you're lucky France got it cause going out of the group in your own world cup is embarassing!!

Isa Nacewa stepped up again after an okay at best game tbh. That said we're going to miss his composure and leadership an awful lot. Who's going to be captain now that he's gone?

Maybe you could take Andy Farrel and Lancaster to the 2023 world cup? In that case, you're lucky France got it cause going out of the group in your own world cup is embarassing!!

I'd be happy to have either of them as backroom staff on the coaching team, I'm not convinced that I want either of them as the Ireland head coach just yet.

Latest posts