[Champions Cup 2018] Quarter Final - Scarlets v Stade Rochelais

Discussion in 'European Champions & Challenge Cup' started by The Alpha Bro, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ThebigARena

ThebigARena Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Typical French what you expect?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. ThebigARena

ThebigARena Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

Like they were ever gonna win

4. ThebigARena

ThebigARena Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

So much one eyed bullshit on this forum. Scarlets are the best club side in Europe beat Toulon and La Rochelle now yet you idiots give us no credit can’t wait for the semis so we can once and for all shut you naysayers up

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

lol... beat 4th and 5th in the Top 14 at home and you're the best in Europe.

Scarlets won, deserved to win too, the ref probably made it more comfortable than it should have been.

• Like Like x 3
  6. FrenchFan

FrenchFan First XV

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

la Rochelle were in ProD2 three yrs ago. They're the weakest of the 1/4 finalists. But good win all the same.

7. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Aye no one's saying scarlets didn't deserve to win, they were comfortably the better side out there.
    I'd question whether you can call them the best side in Europe when they've failed to best the team they'll likely face in the semis on two occasions this season.

8. Car

Car Academy Player

Country Flag:

Germany

Club or Nation:

Perpignan

A tiny bit of discipline surely wouldn't have hurt La Rochelle...

9. FrenchFan

FrenchFan First XV

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Good to see Wales A can still beat a club team

10. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

Its those dastardly Pro14 refs....

11. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Pearce is an RFU referee?

12. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

Exactly!

Youse Englandshire types were complaining during the 6 nations that Johnny Foreigner was able to give your upstanding gentlemanly forwards the runaround at the breakdown due to the infiltration of cowboy Pro14 referees into the international game who turned the breakdown into the wild west.

13. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

When did I say that?
    I think you're mistaking me for someone else.

I said Owens is terrible but that's just because he's incompetent not because he's a pro14 ref.

14. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Not sure how you think it works but trust me. Credit and Respect is earned. Yes the Scarlets are on an upward curve BUT in European Rugby lately they need to win big games like tonight more consistent to be named the best team in Europe.
    If they do win in that Semi Final it will shut alot of naysayers up. But that is what has to be done as teams like Munster and Leinster had to do in the past. Prove the Top14 wasn't the peak of the mountain like Glasgow or Connacht in recent seasons.
    They are playing great brand of rugby and yes it would be great for Welsh and European Rugby but Scarlets need to earn it not expect it

15. truthteller

truthteller Academy Player

the scarlets march on in their own unique way.....they need to be lucky with injuries as theyre missing jon foxy davies and johnny macnicoll already, losing steff evans and asquith early was a massive blow...but they rode the storm
    jake ball will be back next week and scarlets will start to play better as this was only the first game for most of their internationals since 6 nations
    got to hope asquith and evans are fit soon...word for beirne barclay ken owens all sensational and word for the 16th man...the fans....absolutely awesome

16. dullonien

dullonien International

Country Flag:

Wales

Scarlets won without having to play all that well. That can be a sign of a good side, and it's certainly encouraging to see the Scarlets claim the win based on their defence, because they're always capable of scoring spectacular try's as well when the opportunities arise. It shows that there's more than one string to their bow.

On the match itself, it was a pretty stop-start approach, with La Rochelle's discipline terrible. You're not going to win away like that! On the couple of occasions La Rochelle didn't infringe and Scarlets managed to go trough more than a few phases, they promptly scored a couple of try's. I was disappointed in the way the ref dealt with this constant infringing, not even giving them a warning until the second half. I know the same criticism can be levelled in the opposite direction with the yellow card against the Scarlets taking a long time to materialise!

I did struggle to understand how La Rochell's try was given. Looked like a certain knock-on to me, but there we go! Scarlets certainly didn't deal with the 2 kicks well enough.

It's going to be a tall order for Scarlets in the Semi's, especially if as expected Leinster beat Saracens today what with Leinster having a home game in the semi's. Saracens at a neutral ground may be preferable, but that would mean that they will have got their season back on track today by beating Leinster away in the RDS! Last season shows that they shouldn't fear whoever they're up against, but it's another step-up.

17. truthteller

good post....the scarlets beat leinster away in last years semi final...so that will be a good memory for them...however since then theyve lost foxy , liam williams and johnny mac....on the flipside theyve added halfpenny and asquith...so they look a little less dangerous but better goal kicking

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  18. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

On this as I've seen myself with Munster alot. There a BIG difference between league and European wins mentally. The Semi win last year will help but is still long way off the assurance you'd like. But also nothing is impossible

19. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

I dunno who said it - I know it was a topic that came up.

Hence why just using the broad brush "youse englandshire types".

20. truthteller

IF scarlets had foxy and mcnicholl and asquith id have expected them to go all the way...but without them the odds are against them....theyre a magical club and to see a little tinpot town of just 50,000 people, a town broken by the industrial collapse, to see them turn out in droves to fill up a 15300 stadium and supply all the noise and passion any team could want.... well lets just say it could bring a tear of joy to a glass eye...regardless who you support, this is roy of the rovers stuff, theyre on a budget 5 times smaller than most other top teams, the scarlets represent the magic and romance in sport

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!