• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 1, Round 1 (Clermont, Munster, Sale, Saracens)

I agree it looked ****ing dreadful. When you hear a guy scream it's never good.

5 points in the bag though great game for us !

From Sky Sports News
The headline team news from the Clermont camp is the omission of Jonathan Davies, amid rumours a cohort of Wales internationals may be making a homecoming.

With central contracts now available to Wales coach Warren Gatland under the new Participation Agreement, speculation is rife regarding numerous Top 14 players and the decision to leave him out of the Saracens clash means he will not be cup-tied for Europe.

Although there is no Davies, livewire France centre Wesley Fofana does start in his absence, offering a dynamic edge to the Clermont attack.

Highlight after the winning drop goal; a Munster fan behind the sticks with a full beer celebrated and jumped about a lot and never spilt a drop of his beer obviously Irish through and through!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's skill of a different level all together

I reckon Chris Ashton must be the most conflicting topic amongst wingers ever. Some say he's a genius, others say he's a plague. Both have facts to stick to their claims. I'm in between really.

Saw the last 20. Bonnaire in an interview said "it's just infuriating". What I saw was two sides that became very committed intermittently, but not continuously.
There's that one ruck, Clermont are 5-7 meters away from the try-line and some Saracen casually, semi-aggressively contests from his side, gets the penalty. Vahaamahina was literally just standing there, a spectator of the ruck. You're a 2m 125kg lock, it's a tight European Cup match away. You stand and watch...not like this is news, Vahaa lacking hunger...surely from what I've seen the game was easily Clermont's to take. Too bad. Well done Saracens. I'd imagine Clermont will take a decent revenge back in the volcano in the return game.

Good on you Munster. Well done.

Do central contracts also include the finance to pay a transfer fee? Why would ASM let him go mid season on a new contract without one?

God knows to be honest. He's only just signed the contract and I can't see it costing anything less than 200k to release him from that.

Just watched the first 60 now. Having watched just the last 20 live I thought the Saracens had come out with a good win and deserved it fully, but right now I'm very disappointed for Clermont and feel their frustration.
First of all, the ugly side of my post: yes there were a lot of no-calls and bad calls for the Saracens. Guy pulled down in lineout grab, fouls called in rucks (a couple of vulgar ones), a couple of scrums, Lopez not knocking on…etc…

For Clermont: Camille Lopez was absolutely magnificent, basically perfect. Definitely the best FH in France in Trinh-Duc's absence. Kayser and Domingo were good in the loose. Fofana was also good, but these days you need to really pay attention to the details or wait for replays to see his class, he's not going to pull a Tickenham 2013 every match.
Abendanon was particularly leggy and showed his counterattacking class.

For Sarries: Strettle and Ashton may not have heaps to show like other wingers from their 22 til the other 22, the mid-section of the field, but they feel the line and boy they can finish. Lethal once again when it counted the most.
Big Billy looked more than just a bus today, showed his skill.

Overall, Clermont really, really did let this one slip out of their hands. Yes the Saracens were good but they were easily within reach for the best in the Top 14, and on that day in particular evidently. A couple of golden opportunities (Lopez to Fofana 7m from try-line and Vahaa's run off the lineout in Sarries 22 at the 60th, Chouly's silly obstruction), not to mention the freak accident at the 62nd from Guildford's terrible positioning and Ashton's opportunism. What a blunder…cost the game obviously.

Well done Saracens, but I'm much more confident and encouraged having seen the whole thing now that the Sarries aren't as good as we could've imagined or feared in France. I understand their trademark and int'l 10 wasn't playing, but still.

Latest posts