• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 2, Round 3 (Castres, Harlequins, Leinster, Wasps)

I've noticed a major decline in attacking ability from the Ireland side down to Munster and Leinster. Seems like Ulster and Connacht are the only ones keen on playing rugby.

I'm part of the MOC camp but this was nothing to do with him in so far as tactics, its simply the players not turning up. However that might be because they don't believe in what they're supposed to be doing. One thing that I think MOC can be balmed for is the total decline in skills of the Leinster players in his reign is absolutely shocking.
I disagree, our defensive systems are second rate, our strike runners are predictable, we have Darragh Fanning and so far we have relied on changing to ten man rugby in the last 15 minutes to save matches, whenever we meet a side with a bit of grit we lose and we have no structure off set plays. None of that can be the fault of the players and will make them seem bad players, similar stuff going on in Limerick too.

I disagree, our defensive systems are second rate, our strike runners are predictable, we have Darragh Fanning and so far we have relied on changing to ten man rugby in the last 15 minutes to save matches, whenever we meet a side with a bit of grit we lose and we have no structure off set plays. None of that can be the fault of the players and will make them seem bad players, similar stuff going on in Limerick too.

I agree theres an element of that, but today they didn't even execute MOC ball right. I don't like MOC ball I don't want to see it but if its what they're being told to do I want them to do it right not half ass it.

Unfortunately there's some problems in my posting with regards quoting and paragraphs at the moment so I can't write the reply I want. But I think you guys are overreacting to this after some poor performances and the team not playing the rugby some people unfairly demand. This wasn't a bad performance, it wasn't a particulary good one either but there was a number of positives and I think we could see a big performance next week. Also please stop with this MO'Cball **** it's such lazy terminology. For anyone who is properly watching he clearly does want us to play an attacking style. It's the way he wants us to implement it that's not working as well as it should and leading to us occasionly going back to a conservative style.

Unfortunately there's some problems in my posting with regards quoting and paragraphs at the moment so I can't write the reply I want. But I think you guys are overreacting to this after some poor performances and the team not playing the rugby some people unfairly demand. This wasn't a bad performance, it wasn't a particulary good one either but there was a number of positives and I think we could see a big performance next week. Also please stop with this MO'Cball **** it's such lazy terminology. For anyone who is properly watching he clearly does want us to play an attacking style. It's the way he wants us to implement it that's not working as well as it should and leading to us occasionly going back to a conservative style.
Implement what though? There is absolutely no shape in Leinster's attack, they generally ship the ball through the hands until someone checks and hits contact or a player takes the initiative and attempts to run some sort of line. Whatever O'Connor is attempting hasn't worked and he needs to try something new because if it doesn't work after 15 months it's simply not going to work. We need changes next week and mine would be:
Douglas for McCarthy
Ryan for Murphy
With the hope that DK or Ferg come back Madigan to 10, D'Arcy 12, Fitz 13 with Kirchner and one of the aforementioned on the wings
Jennings for Conan

It might seem harsh dropping Gopperth after a good first half but 40 minutes of decent rugby after the rubbish he's served up this year isn't enough.

I've noticed a major decline in attacking ability from the Ireland side down to Munster and Leinster. Seems like Ulster and Connacht are the only ones keen on playing rugby.

Us?!?!

Jeez - I can't remember the last time our backs had a good game that wasn't ad-hoc. I wouldn't read much into a game against the optionally tackling Scarlets. When it matters we are well short.

For a supposedly highly rated backs coach, Doak has an awful long way to go in my eyes.

Us?!?!

Jeez - I can't remember the last time our backs had a good game that wasn't ad-hoc. I wouldn't read much into a game against the optionally tackling Scarlets. When it matters we are well short.

For a supposedly highly rated backs coach, Doak has an awful long way to go in my eyes.

Yeah but they show a lot more intent and I'm not sure how to explain it but they just look more lively and capable of making ground through the backs. Leinster and Munster look incredibly laborious.

This wasn't a bad performance, it wasn't a particulary good one either

Were you watching a different match to the rest of us?
That performance was absolutely awful. We showed no creativity in attack, basic skills like passing were completely lacking (how many times did we lose possession by dropped balls?), discipline was crap and it cost us in penalties, and our scrum got ruined. I won't be saying our season is hopeless or anything like that but let's not pretend that the standard of today's performance was anywhere near what it should be. To say that it wasn't bad, or that we haven't seen a massive drop in the quality of our rugby from the past few seasons, is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Marler was awesome today. Hope it was just a stinger.

He really is the most complete prop and probably now the best loosehead prop in the world right now. Awesome performance, as usual;.

Robbo and Easter were great.

Last edited:
Marler was awesome today. Hope it was just a stinger.

He really is the most complete prop and probably now the best loosehead prop in the world right now. Awesome performance, as usual;.

Robbo and Marler were great.
I think a certain Mr. Ayerza probably doesn't agree with you.......but Marler was incredible today it must be said.

A little late but wow, what a game. Sweil needs to calm down a bit and remember how to kick goals though.

Leinster will still come through as will Harlequins. But Harlequins may get lucky depending on MOC's selection this weekend.

Latest posts