Champions Cup - Pool 3, Round 4 (Leicester, Toulon, Scarlets, Ulster)

Discussion in 'European Champions & Challenge Cup' started by Big Ewis, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Saturday 13th December 2014, KO 16:15 (local)
    Stade Félix Mayol, Toulon
    Referee: George Clancy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sunday 14th December 2014, KO 17:15 (local)
    Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
    Referee: JP Doyle

[TABLE="class: matchinfo matchinfo_ra"]
    <tbody>[TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: info, colspan: 3"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: info, colspan: 3"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Going to be a brutal game on Saturday.

4. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

mmm...:)

5. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Leicester should still have the Front row advantage even if hayman starts ayerza had him in the 1/4 finals 2 seasons ago and Ayerza has progressed since then.

Any news on potential changes in the Toulon team @Big Ewis ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

Ayerza just doesn't seem to amaze me. He's the most impressive scrummaging LH I've ever seen with Thomas Domingo.

Right now the blog talks about JOC returning (we'll know tomorrow) after his stupid motorcycle accident some weeks ago. They're not sure whether Armitage will play or not, but HP should be making his return anyways. I do believe Hayman should be starting this one, and Toulon certainly need it. Castro only got Ayerza good on one scrum, and a couple of acceptable ones, but got smashed on a couple and was under pressure most of the game. Ayerza even got Hayman good on one. Chiocci on the bench for me and Menini back from "holiday" after the int'ls.
    Basta's hand is hurt but the x-rays are fine, just a bruise. And Romain Tao a shot to the leg, hopefully he can play as he can be huge when he's on a good game.

The official fanblog are already calling it the match of revenge :p

[​IMG]

You should see the Toulon thread on the Rugbyrama forum, they are NOT happy over there over the Tigers citing incident :p

7. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

I have seen that forum makes for a interesting read.

TBH it was always going to happen the citing even the Castro one just mainly due to the press and the fan pressure.

Personally I want Castro and Delon starting as they have shown they can be gotten to esp Castro.

Sanchez is good but it was shown that he struggles when the pack is second best, that's where a more experienced 10 is handier.

The Salvi V Steffon Armitage rematch will be good (In my biased view Salvi won that with help from Thorn's clearing out).

HP returning will make it interesting I don't rate his counter attacking potential but he is solid and has a huge boots.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

Sanchez is a fantastic 10, he just needs a little more getting used to. This isn't his first French Top 14 team, but although he does show some of his class here he doesn't look like the Pumas Nico Sanchez. I'm confident in his ability, he just needs a little more time, but that's debate for later. Right now, he just needs to play focused and ze rouge et noir have some felines to tame for the weekend :hunt: or hunt down, whichever, couldn't find a smiley with a whip.

Very easy for Toulon now, really: the only thing I'm concerned about is the scrum. Chiocci+2014 Castro vs Ayerza+Cole just don't work. We need Hayman starting for sure and Menini to add experience on the LH end.
    The rest will work itself out. Toulon won't make 3 huge beginner's mistakes again, fifteen knockons; they'll know how to react to this Tigers defense now and will unleash some of that back power. They're at home. In Mayol. The pack will be in domination-mode, they looked tuned off at Leicester, well done Tigers; but I've never seen Toulon 'dominated' up front in big games, and when they get overtaken in a game they're sure to react in the next.
    Halfpenny back to knock in some 2's (hopefully lots of those) and 3's. JOC either starting or off the bench, hopefully comes back with the same form he left the field, i.e. on absolute fire, I think he was averaging like 6 DB per game before going down or something insane..

I can't see the Tigers winning this, and they do have class but showed little to nothing on attack and I don't think they've got much (or will try much in this away hostile fixture) while Toulon clearly have more than what they've shown Sunday; and a big scrum and adequate pack alone won't suffice in the Var.

- - - Updated - - -

and hey just fyi, Castro receives sanctions from prez Boudjellal. Won't play in this next game...won't receive an "ethics bonus" players seem to receive. Plus he might get screwed by the ERC too.

9. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Harlequins

Boudjellal comes across pretty good in all honesty by all accounts.

I don't mind players going to Toulon considering that great side they have, you wouldn't blame any player wanting to go.

Toulon vs Leicester is a beast of a match though.

If Tigers come out with a win, how stupidly unlikely it is, it's a massive shot in the foot and a chance to win the group outright.

Toulon are still my favourites for the entire tournament though.

10. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

I'm not sure why, but there's something very compelling and likeable about that post, although I've yet to quite put my fing...I like you now, let's be friends you should post more on this forum (particularly posts like this one) if I were in your vicinity I'd give you a cheeseburger right now.

Lobbe, newly daddy, might be back this weekend.

11. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Have to say I am liking the Toulon blogs, the conspiracy theory's for example the muddy "corridors" on Habana side although it has been like that for a while now. Can't rember why it was like that in the first place I want to say music festival but not 100%. also liking how not one person has mentioned Salvi but hey best like that.

I expect a Toulon win but it wouldn't be the first time we went away expecting to get whooped and pull of a shock win at Europe.

We go as the underdogs with nothing to lose, we are lacking Manu in the backs but I doubt the forwards will give an inch.

12. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

are you copy-pasting everything and translating through google-translate ??
    And yes I saw that muddy corridor (conspiracy) thing. Didn't know what to think of it, really. What the hell was the story there, what was that thing ??

13. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Mainly just use the google website translator CBA copy and pasting but I know enough French to get by as well.

That side has been like that since mid November we had a music festival at welford road or something and I don't think it was planned well in that regards.

RE the game if this could carry on to next weekend I will be most pleased.

[​IMG]

14. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

oh well that's cool man. And google translate is awesome for that, makes the world less locked up and opens it up more.

And that gif is no fair, that was a one-off scrum, I remember it clearly from the second half when Hayman came on with Fresia. An awful bind, or something, they never looked dominated after that. Castro and Chiocci earlier were having real trouble though, but even that combo got the Tigers badly on the one scrum.

15. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Just saying Hayman does have the body type and scrummanging style that should and on the whole does fall into Ayerza hands.

As said I can't see a tigers win happening at all, I would feel differently if we had Manu probably. But Smith is a solid 13 not much in attack but he will have just one job and that is to stop Basta.

16. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

Here you go :p

[​IMG]

You mean because Hayman is a tall prop ? Ayerza wasn't getting the better of Hayman the rest of the way like I said so I wouldn't make that comment like it's a consistent reality. Ayerza def got Castro though.

17. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Your hooker head popped out first :p

I'm going off also the Quarter finals where he got Hayman the majority of the time.

Now Ayerza has gotten better and Haymen is just coming back from an injury, although it isn't a given I wouldn't be surprised if Ayerza handles him.

FYI how many scrums was ayerza in after that one? Wasn't it just the one where Youngs forgot to hook?

18. Big Ewis

Big Ewis BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulon

God that seriously looks rated -18 out of context...

19. dasNdanger

dasNdanger Senior Member

Country Flag:

United States

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

:lol:

Rugby - the only place we can openly talk about hookers and still keep the thread on topic. :)

das

20. Maverick1987

Maverick1987 Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

Well that's an early drive if I've ever seen one !! Bloody refs always on toulons side ...... Also Ayerza is 71 minutes into a tough game when Hayman was fresh. Let's see on Saturday but I feel pretty confident Ayerza will have Hayman on toast tbh

21. TRF_stormer2010

TRF_stormer2010 Super Moderator

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Definately early. What I don't understand though is why the scrummie would put the ball into the scrum while it's backing up at a rate of 5 knots? I suppose it's easy to say afterwards but he should've turned to te ref and indicated the scrum is clearly not stationary. Might be he could get a free kick for Toulon pushing early even.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!