• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 3, Round 4 (Leicester, Toulon, Scarlets, Ulster)

10846479_1031570866860433_7684221389246052415_n.jpg

so Ayerza's really further shown throughout this series the absolute monster he is in the scrum. Best scrummager in the world atm, and it's not even close. He's seriously more important than the TH in most cases it seems. Can't think of a TH who'd have the upper hand right now.

so Ayerza's really further shown throughout this series the absolute monster he is in the scrum. Best scrummager in the world atm, and it's not even close. He's seriously more important than the TH in most cases it seems. Can't think of a TH who'd have the upper hand right now.

I like to think so, glad Leicester signed him up to a 3 year contract this season.

It's his Testimonial year at Leicester this season:

Have just brought his shirt

Marcos002.jpg

Marcos012.jpg

Which TBH I prefer it to the regular Tigers shirt.

Last edited:
Let's hope Canterbury go back to a classic design next year - it's an awesome shirt when done right.

my God that dude on the left has got nails like my mom. Did he use to be a wizard recently by any chance ? And a superb tan...some rich ex-wizard who's got a villa in Nice...
And Ayerza, man that dude has just the perfect build for a scrummager, there's literally no distinction between his head and neck and shoulders; it's all one large, thick chunk of firm muscle.

@TheSaffycen has Juan Figallo played yet ?? If not, when's he back ?

Last edited by a moderator:
He has played a couple but is nowhere near the level he was at. If he is at his best we have one of the most powerful scrums in the world.

He has played a couple but is nowhere near the level he was at. If he is at his best we have one of the most powerful scrums in the world.

well yeah. Any front row with prime Figallo at TH is elite by that fact alone ! He's only just returned then, played as sub the few times yeah ? It's going to take a bit of time, but he's just 26 and coming off a looooong term injury, to the NECK...surely he'll improve overtime in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.: it's very unclear who's THE best scrummaging TH in the world atm, for anyone who's paid close attention.

well yeah. Any front row with prime Figallo at TH is elite by that fact alone ! He's only just returned then, played as sub the few times yeah ? It's going to take a bit of time, but he's just 26 and coming off a looooong term injury, to the NECK...surely he'll improve overtime in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.: it's very unclear who's THE best scrummaging TH in the world atm, for anyone who's paid close attention.
Wilson is up there, Ziri is more than likely the best technical scrummager. Owen Franks was voted our best tighthead but i think that's down to his work in the loose

that's exactly what I mean, no offense to David Wilson he's good but he's not going down as one of the all-time best, not even for his own country probably. Nico Mas, Adam Jones, Carl Hayman, Fidel Castro...those are THE best scrummaging tightheads, and they're all either obsolete, or nearing obsoletion which isn't actually a word.
Figallo's been down. Zirak has slowed down compared to the past 2 seasons. There are nice young TH props comin' up, but none that is standout yet.
We just have to settle for a 'pretty good' one now..

that's exactly what I mean, no offense to David Wilson he's good but he's not going down as one of the all-time best, not even for his own country probably. Nico Mas, Adam Jones, Carl Hayman, Fidel Castro...those are THE best scrummaging tightheads, and they're all either obsolete, or nearing obsoletion which isn't actually a word.
Figallo's been down. Zirak has slowed down compared to the past 2 seasons. There are nice young TH props comin' up, but none that is standout yet.
We just have to settle for a 'pretty good' one now..

That's a fair enough comment and probably smack on in all honesty. Wilson's good, probably one of the better tight heads but I won't say best because he isn't stand out. Brookes has a massive future for England. Samson Lee for Wales. I'm not sure who's good elsewhere.

Tightheads are worth their weight in gold. :)

:D that's flattering !
Though Toulon's my Top 14 club and Saracens my Aviva !..

You used to support Toulouse when I first joined this forum ??? Wtf man you can't just change allegiances ....

Regarding Toulon winning this game and probably the tournament when you spend 10 times the money that anyone else does it probably means you will win the big trophies .

Same with every sport really .

I've enjoyed this competition but I've gotta say I'd watch the AP over it any day . Not really changed from the HC days same old same old really . For me the AP is the best domestic rugby comp in Europe . Rabo 12 has always been meh until the play offs . Top 14 is attritional and boring .

Last edited:
You used to support Toulouse when I first joined this forum ??? Wtf man you can't just change allegiances ....

Regarding Toulon winning this game and probably the tournament when you spend 10 times the money that anyone else does it probably means you will win the big trophies .

I've enjoyed this competition but I've gotta say I'd watch the AP over it any day . Not really changed from the HC days same old same old really . For me the AP is the best domestic rugby comp in Europe . Rabo 12 has always been meh until the play offs . Top 14 is attritional and boring .

Yeah and no. I love the AP, it's getting better every year, but a top european game is great to watch. English sides so far are going reasonably well all things considered. Should get 3 or 4 qtr final spots. If we had an english semi lockout or english teams in the semi or final I'd pick the euro games any day of the year over everything else.

Yeah and no. I love the AP, it's getting better every year, but a top european game is great to watch. English sides so far are going reasonably well all things considered. Should get 3 or 4 qtr final spots. If we had an english semi lockout or english teams in the semi or final I'd pick the euro games any day of the year over everything else.

Id take a Leicester Northampton game over literally any game in domestic rugby . No questions asked . I'm a home town boy and these frogs have ruined the European competitions ;)

Good job the RFU don't remove the salary cap because Bruce Craig makes Mourad Boudjellal look like a pauper . But I'd rather they didn't do that if our national team ended up like the French one .....

With our owners no salary cap would mean we could get the All Blacks !!

Id take a Leicester Northampton game over literally any game in domestic rugby . No questions asked . I'm a home town boy and these frogs have ruined the European competitions ;)

Good job the RFU don't remove the salary cap because Bruce Craig makes Mourad Boudjellal look like a pauper . But I'd rather they didn't do that if our national team ended up like the French one .....

Good to see a highly knowledgeable post!!

that post, but especially the first line, literally made me crack up out loud for a few seconds, I'd practically want to +1 you !!
AP and Rabo12 better than "attritional" Top 14, yes, that seems fair :D But as an exception it was fairly "attritional" to watch the Tigers play no Rugby yesterday and Toulon play all of it...

I'm a home town boy and these frogs have ruined the European competitions ;)

yes we are indeed about to wreck it, assuming that's what you meant, spot on :D

You couldn't beat the crassiest Fra in memories last time in Paris and that was with a WC chasing team :lol:

We don't need use our domestic league as an excuse for underperforming elsewhere......

I like the French clubs mainly Toulouse and Clermont (I have my reasons).

And to be honest I don't feel that many French XV are unbeatable even with the English Salary cap.

I would back a fully fit Leicester XV to beat most French clubs (although it would prob be to close to call).

Leicester ATM need a outide view on it's attack and hopefully Mauger will give that.

that post, but especially the first line, literally made me crack up out loud for a few seconds, I'd practically want to +1 you !!
AP and Rabo12 better than "attritional" Top 14, yes, that seems fair :D But as an exception it was fairly "attritional" to watch the Tigers play no Rugby yesterday and Toulon play all of it...

What about the week before when the Top 14 leaders lost to the AP's 5th place team? All in all, I don't really agree with Maverick's point because each league has their own strengths and weaknesses and there is no "Best league" in Europe. History shows that the Top 14 is the most consistent but it also shows that French teams can't handle it when the AP or Pro 12 throw out their best sides, Leinster '09-'12, Munster '06 and '08, Wasps '05 and '07 and Leicester '01-'02. The only thing I took from yesterday's game was, as a Leinster fan and considering how poor we are right now, I'd fancy an away trip to the Felix Mayol over Franklin's Gardens to have a lower chance of embarrassment if we escape our pool. So far in this competition Saints are the team to beat for me, hopefully Clermont or Toulouse can stop them though.

Latest posts