• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 3, Round 4 (Leicester, Toulon, Scarlets, Ulster)

Ulster looking a little more in it now, playing keep ball better and not giving away those soft penalties.

Dawson thinks that wasn't a penalty because he couldn't move away. I tend to take the view that if that's the case, it's your responsibility not to end up there, especially on an attempted choke tackle. Tough ***ties, really.

Ulster looking a little more in it now, playing keep ball better and not giving away those soft penalties.

Dawson thinks that wasn't a penalty because he couldn't move away. I tend to take the view that if that's the case, it's your responsibility not to end up there, especially on an attempted choke tackle. Tough ***ties, really.

I agree. Even though he can't move he is still hindering the Ulster attack and that shouldn't be legal.

When the attacking ruckers hold a player in using their knees, which seems to be growing, I think it should be a defensive penalty because they're not supporting their weight and it's basically just cheating and Not On. But otherwise it's an attacking penalty. I bet if you made that rule an absolute non-negotiable, you'd see a lot of players who previously "simply couldn't get out" miraculously finding a way out of there.

- - - Updated - - -

How did they not score there?!?!

Bowe's pass might have been more sympathetic I thought ... still more Marshall's fault though

Bowe's pass might have been more sympathetic I thought ... still more Marshall's fault though

Yeah Cave spent most of his run trying to keep hold of the ball.

Argh haha was twisting my head there hoping Pienaar's kick would turn back in.

OMFG.... Ulster handed this game to the Scarlets on a silver platter.

Last edited:
ya know I'll drop everything 4 ya big eejit

:rolleyes: oh stop it, you ! hihihi !

AHEM AHEMM...I mean HMMMM nice one fellas, well done there, manly manly, good stuff. So the Scarlets are for real this year, huh ?! I repeat I really liked them at Toulon this year.

Two tough games for Laporte's men next time, including at Scarlets....quite wary of that one, I fear it more than Ulster at home.

P.S.: a tribute post to Bakkies. Not a big fan of his intimidation play on the field, but I've never questioned his intent on helping his team(s) out, and that hit he took yesterday was a hard one, he was bleeding all over his face, in many parts in fact it seemed, and even he had a hard time getting up and moving, but still got off the field without wincing or whining or nothin. However demonstrative he is with his religious beliefs, he compensates with real virility there by just suffering silently and not looking to display how manly and hard he is with his uber-spectacular injury. +1 Bakkies, I know you're not a member of TRF, but +1.

Wasn't it his own teammate who did that do him?

yes, Menini...I meant it's great he shows up for his team and it's great he walked off so discreetly. That was a HUGE hit to the head. Never seen Bakkies so slow to get up and shaken up.

Good to see a highly knowledgeable post!!

What's not knowledgable about this post ? The first paragraph is a personal note about what game is rather watch .

About the French part are you saying that's wrong and that everything is on a level playing field as far as squads are concerned ? I'm sure one of the French clubs (can't remember which) were spending 40 odd million euros of salary alone ... England's is capped to £6 million and wales to £3 million not sure about Ireland's

The second one is that if English clubs didn't have a salary cap Bruce Craig could outspend everyone in rugby if he wanted to ....

He sold his company for close to a billion pounds a few years back ....

Last edited:
English salary cap is 4.5m isn't it?
To be fair it's amazing that the English clubs can compete to the extent that they do

What's not knowledgable about this post ? The first paragraph is a personal note about what game is rather watch .

About the French part are you saying that's wrong and that everything is on a level playing field as far as squads are concerned ? I'm sure one of the French clubs (can't remember which) were spending 40 odd million euros of salary alone ... England's is capped to £6 million and wales to £3 million not sure about Ireland's

The second one is that if English clubs didn't have a salary cap Bruce Craig could outspend everyone in rugby if he wanted to ....

He sold his company for close to a billion pounds a few years back ....
It's very difficult to discern what sort of budget the provinces are working off to be honest, as the IRFU doesn't mention specific figures for each province in reports. Basically, they seem to fork out what they see as necessary and feasible, not sticking to any specific budget. Connacht for example got a nice wad to develop facilities etc this year, but no increase in the money made available for wages according to Lam.
We're definately operating on a fraction of the big French teams though, and have been operating at a loss for the past few years, although it's reducing I think.

But if i remember correctly the French clubs are self funding ? In a way it would be nice to see the Aviva go cap-free but then outside of Saracens and Bath who would be able to compete ? I prefer the league as it is, you have 6 teams IMO with a real shot for the Top 4 then on a one off game anyone can win it.

English salary cap is 4.5m isn't it?
To be fair it's amazing that the English clubs can compete to the extent that they do

I thought it was 6 going up to 6.5 this coming season . I'm sure if rats sees this he will be able to tell us

Premiership Cap is roughly half the T14 cap.

The "40 million" figure you are quoting is most likely the overall budget of a french club, not the salary budget.
Think about it - if that was what they were spending on their salary then they'd be paying every single one of their players at least £1 million... which is ****ing ludicrous.
The difference between English and French club budgets is not as disparate as the salary cap differential.

A club like Leicester would be among the top three overall budgets in France from what I've seen.
And those were figures from 2-3 years ago - so things may have changed somewhat, but I would be surprised if it changed that much in such a short space of time.

Bruce Craig sold his company for some £900m a few years ago - that's not the same as "Bruce Craig has £900m in his personal bank account".
I believe he has about a third of that as his personal fortune. That's nothing on Johann Rupert though... who I believe is worth $7billion.
Or James Dyson with £3billion.

And this is why Rugby needs to be careful - if the game grows significantly then there is nothing to stop individuals with some serious money coming in and throwing their weight around.
You've seen how people with relatively modest fortunes can take control of it... imagine what people with billions could do?

Last edited:
They're not necessarily trying to take control of the whole game. Boudjellal at Toulon has taken charge of one club. His overall impact on the game is limited at national level non existant outside. He wants to sign 4 big names after the WC not the entire AB squad. He may not succeed (could be outbid) and it's only 4 players.
I would argue we need private capital to expand the game here considering the Federation is doing strictly nothing and looking after its own interests. FFR are doing nothing to develop the game of Seven here. The current FRA Seven team cannot get a dime.

Last edited:

Latest posts