• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 3, Round 4 (Leicester, Toulon, Scarlets, Ulster)

Premiership Cap is roughly half the T14 cap.

The "40 million" figure you are quoting is most likely the overall budget of a french club, not the salary budget.
Think about it - if that was what they were spending on their salary then they'd be paying every single one of their players at least £1 million... which is ****ing ludicrous.
The difference between English and French club budgets is not as disparate as the salary cap differential.

A club like Leicester would be among the top three overall budgets in France from what I've seen.
And those were figures from 2-3 years ago - so things may have changed somewhat, but I would be surprised if it changed that much in such a short space of time.

Bruce Craig sold his company for some £900m a few years ago - that's not the same as "Bruce Craig has £900m in his personal bank account".
I believe he has about a third of that as his personal fortune. That's nothing on Johann Rupert though... who I believe is worth $7billion.
Or James Dyson with £3billion.

And this is why Rugby needs to be careful - if the game grows significantly then there is nothing to stop individuals with some serious money coming in and throwing their weight around.
You've seen how people with relatively modest fortunes can take control of it... imagine what people with billions could do?

Well according to this : http://www.lerugbynistere.fr/news/top-14--les-budgets-clubs-saison-2014-2015-1208141134.php the 40 M€ you're talking about are not the clubs' budgets, it is the TV rights per season.

I'm talking about the budgets in the table at the bottom of the article, that's what I think Maverick was misinterpreting as the amount spent on salary... something I've seen a lot of people do.
I didn't have the figures in front of me hence why I put the figure in inverted commas. ;)

Last edited:
I'm talking about the budgets in the table at the bottom of the article, that's what I think Maverick was misinterpreting as the amount spent on salary... something I've seen a lot of people do.
I didn't have the figures in front of me hence why I put the figure in inverted commas. ;)

Yep I know you're talking about the table at the bottom of the article ! So am I ! But 40 M€ is too much for a club budget as you noticed. That is why I thought you were both confusing with the seasonal TV rights for top14, which are about those 40M ... Pretty ridiculous compared with the 1 billion for the Premier league ... ;)

budgets-2-421x500.png

Le classement (en millions d'euros):

1. Toulouse (35,02)
2. Clermont (27,90)
3. Toulon (25,37)
4. Racing: (25,36)
5. Stade français (25,28)
6. Montpellier (22,54)
7. Lyon (21,03)
8. Grenoble (20,77)
9. Castres (19,04)
10. UBB (15,86)
11. Bayonne (15,76)
12. La Rochelle (14,47)
13. Oyonnax (14,28)
14. Brive (13,63)

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2014-2015/toulouse-plus-gros-budget-du-top-14-brive-le-plus-petit_sto4356076/story.shtml

Apologies for the incorrect post . I misunderstood salary and budget as rats said

Last edited:
FAI-HAI-HAI-INED !!!

...*fined*...

Castro pays 10k€ (looks like a mathematical formulation there) and dat goes to cherrrrity. But that's a big fine. Expensive, these days, to criticize a Cockerill.
Plus dude suspended..knwomsyn. Fow matches. shiieeeeet

FAI-HAI-HAI-INED !!!

...*fined*...

Castro pays 10kâ'¬ (looks like a mathematical formulation there) and dat goes to cherrrrity. But that's a big fine. Expensive, these days, to criticize a Cockerill.
Plus dude suspended..knwomsyn. Fow matches. shiieeeeet

Not suspended that ban isn't enforced it's a suspended sentence.

Could not have been give to a more deserving chap................................

what a delicious euphemism !! :p deserves a bit of rep, there...

And honestly I'm against it. I'm against pro athletes having to listen to horrible, horrible gratuitous things from the public and crowds and expected to just stand there and control themselves under the pretext they're "pro athletes" and there's conduct that goes along with it and all. I agree he should be sanctioned, but authorities need to hold their crowds a little better. We know what he answered back to the fan, but do we know what putrid things the fans yelled at him ? He's a human being like anyone else when it comes to emotions off the field away from the 80min of Rugby, he like anyone else brutally assaulted verbally is expected to last a full career of taking shiit without ever retorting the slightest ? Nahhh, not realistic, not viable, not fair.

Note: I don't like Armitage much, and this isn't because he's Toulon, couldn't care less if he were a Prem player insulted at Leic.

His rep has hurt him.

Most players take crap. And no we don't know what was said to him during the game so who is to say it is horrible Armitage record shows it doesn't take much.

It was also based on the after game incident not during the game.

Last edited:
His rep has hurt him.

Most players take crap. And no we don't know what was said to him during the game so who is to say it is horrible Armitage record shows it doesn't take much.

It was also based on the after game incident not during the game.

Togs while we don't know what could've provoked it I would say I've been to Welford Road plenty of times with Munster and yes it's intimidating but the fans aren't dirty or foul mouthed. Yes you get heckles but it's the same at every ground. These guys know they have to hold their temper regardless and he deserves this for (a) reacting in a bad way and (b) for the nature of his comments.

is it documented what he said?

The after game stuff we do I believe but not what he said during the game (Which is why it wasn't taken into account at the end of the hearing)

After considering evidence and hearing submissions on behalf of Armitage, who pleaded not guilty, and on behalf of the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, the independent Disciplinary Committee was not satisfied that a comment allegedly made by Armitage during the match had been made as the inconsistencies in the evidence were too great.

However, the Committee was satisfied that Armitage had directed abusive language at Leicester Tigers supporters after the match, and while it found that his comments were provoked, the Committee decided he was guilty of misconduct.

Togs while we don't know what could've provoked it I would say I've been to Welford Road plenty of times with Munster and yes it's intimidating but the fans aren't dirty or foul mouthed. Yes you get heckles but it's the same at every ground. These guys know they have to hold their temper regardless and he deserves this for (a) reacting in a bad way and (b) for the nature of his comments.

That's what I think but Toulon are spinning it as none stop abuse, their is a large difference between heckling and abuse imo.

Latest posts