• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup - Pool 4, Round 4 (Bath, Glasgow, Montpellier, Toulouse)

YES Toulouse !! :D still undefeated, two wins away against Prem 2nd and Pro 12 3rd ! Laborious, some bad choices, made this much closer than it should've been, and not a single try, but solid still. Didn't think they'd get this. Awesome. Now to see the Tigers bite the doost :p

Very good Toulouse.

They were extremely solid in defence. Nyanga, one of my favourite players was excellent. Steenkamp should have seen yellow for that high shot for me. Don't think it would have changed much. Glasgow nippy in attack but had no go forward and Toulouse were far too physical.

Job done.

We shud go thru with a home QF

Now get ready for Montpellier in Top 14 for a spot in the top 6

Job done.

We shud go thru with a home QF

Now get ready for Montpellier in Top 14 for a spot in the top 6

as I was explaining earlier in the thread, I don't expect anything from Toulouse deep in the playoffs this year, but they've really insured things so far in this pool. Impressive. Really quite impressive. Typical Toulouse...highs are vertiginous, and the lows are disgusting. I'm thrilled with their results in this Cup so far.
Now they need to take care of business at home against Bath, that's a dangerous fixture even in Wallon. And MP away is the easiest fixture they could have away from home atm. Things look good right now..

as I was explaining earlier in the thread, I don't expect anything from Toulouse deep in the playoffs this year, but they've really insured things so far in this pool. Impressive. Really quite impressive. Typical Toulouse...highs are vertiginous, and the lows are disgusting. I'm thrilled with their results in this Cup so far.
Now they need to take care of business at home against Bath, that's a dangerous fixture even in Wallon. And MP away is the easiest fixture they could have away from home atm. Things look good right now..

Bath at home, dangerous fixture? :lol:

Montpellier in Top 14 is the next one we need win to get back in top 6

Bath at home, dangerous fixture? :lol:

Montpellier in Top 14 is the next one we need win to get back in top 6

act confident as you will, but dying in your own bathtub at home is one of the most common deaths ;) and always the least expected.

It was his first full game yet Burgess just gets dissed by most.

Where? The criticism is all aimed at Bath, as far as i can see there is zero critiscism of Burgess.

His choke tackling was great, which resulted in turnovers and he got around the field. Nothing much in attack, but I anticipate there's more to come. Give the guy a chance or should he have scored 10 tries and 100 tackles.

No but he was selected over a promising england hopeful in Devoto, so he should be judged accordingly. regardless, as i said the critcismas far as i can tell is of the Bath Coaching team not of Burgess so please don't drag up the union hates league guff.

thumbs.png

hope so/think so, buddy.

Where? The criticism is all aimed at Bath, as far as i can see there is zero critiscism of Burgess.

No but he was selected over a promising england hopeful in Devoto, so he should be judged accordingly. regardless, as i said the critcismas far as i can tell is of the Bath Coaching team not of Burgess so please don't drag up the union hates league guff.

Like Rats said why not give him time on a rugby field . I've heard he was supposed to go to the back row for 20 minutes at the end . He's getting chance to practice the basics of rugby union in a difficult environment for me rugby basics are the same across the field irrespective to where you play .

Aswell what I see is bath not really caring if they won that game probably made a difference too . The Premiership is the number 1 priority this year without a single doubt . Lovely to be on this competition but it's not the main thing at the moment . It looks to me lie bath feel they have bigger fish to fry

Last edited:
Like Rats said why not give him time on a rugby field . I've heard he was supposed to go to the back row for 20 minutes at the end . He's getting chance to practice the basics of rugby union in a difficult environment for me rugby basics are the same across the field irrespective to where you play .

Isn't that EXACTLY what everyone has been saying though mate? Give him time on the field. Give him full 160 minutes with the A team to get his basics correct and let him settle into an alien game rather than rushing him into European rugby.

people are waving the fact that he made a couple of choke tackles and carried the ball through a couple of defenders as some indication that he's progressing. But really what's the big deal they are the exact skills he brings from league and why he was signed - it's the other things that he needs to develop his game awareness, tacitcal reading, understanding on the ground and so on.

In attack at this level he's going to come in for some special treatment as we saw with him getting clattered off the ball a couple of times, so for me he would have been way better off getting 80/160 with the A team where they won't be able to mark him out the game, and he'll be able to go missing for a bit without it impacting on the teams cohesion.

I don't think any of this is his fault, i think Ford and co are being pushed into it and i think it's unfair on all of them.

Just my opinion though.

Aswell what I see is bath not really caring if they won that game probably made a difference too . The Premiership is the number 1 priority this year without a single doubt . Lovely to be on this competition but it's not the main thing at the moment . It looks to me lie bath feel they have bigger fish to fry

yes, well.

Isn't that EXACTLY what everyone has been saying though mate? Give him time on the field. Give him full 160 minutes with the A team to get his basics correct and let him settle into an alien game rather than rushing him into European rugby.

people are waving the fact that he made a couple of choke tackles and carried the ball through a couple of defenders as some indication that he's progressing. But really what's the big deal they are the exact skills he brings from league and why he was signed - it's the other things that he needs to develop his game awareness, tacitcal reading, understanding on the ground and so on.

In attack at this level he's going to come in for some special treatment as we saw with him getting clattered off the ball a couple of times, so for me he would have been way better off getting 80/160 with the A team where they won't be able to mark him out the game, and he'll be able to go missing for a bit without it impacting on the teams cohesion.

I don't think any of this is his fault, i think Ford and co are being pushed into it and i think it's unfair on all of them.

Just my opinion though.

yes, well.

Yeh I don't disagree with any of that first part . I think we are sort of seeing the same thing tbh

If Devoto's an England hopeful I think the game's in trouble. If he had pushed out Eastmond then I could have understood the ire aimed at him. And I still think some of the general criticism of Burgess unfair.

If Devoto's an England hopeful I think the game's in trouble. If he had pushed out Eastmond then I could have understood the ire aimed at him. And I still think some of the general criticism of Burgess unfair.

He's not in consideration for England now, but I'd definitely say he's an England hopeful - he has the skills to be a top class player, just a bit unfortunate to be at the same club as Kyle Eastmond and JJ, the two form centres in the Premiership at the moment, and both looking at long sucessful careers, quite possibly as regular internationals. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he moved clubs as soon as he could and excelled somewhere else.

Like I said. Point out exactly where Burgess is being criticised.

Latest posts