• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions cup pools 2015/16

I reckon Exeter could be dark horses for a runner up spot in that pool what with their smart recruitment (the largely unknown team from the ap at Europe)- don't write off Leicester either in their pool.
pool 5 is brutal, what were they thinking seeding like that...I think it could get messy with lots of away losses- only one team to emerge from that pool me thinks.

Because they did that before and it was shït. Sides got rewarded for performances from about 5 years ago, and we got Biarritz, Cardiff Blues among others as top seeds long after their time as an elite European side had come to an end, and their easier draws kept them higher for longer as well.

This new system is excellent and far better in my view. Gives more incentive for sides to perform in the league, particularly the Pro12.
Winners of the competition should be a top seed though.

My predictions are:

1. Sarries
2. Clermont
3. Racing and Saints
4. Stade and Munster
5. Toulon and Leinster

Winners of the competition should be a top seed though.

My predictions are:

1. Sarries
2. Clermont
3. Racing and Saints
4. Stade and Munster
5. Toulon and Leinster

Bold call saying 2 teams from pool 5 will go through where do you see the teams getting TBP wins?

Great group for the Ospreys, yes Claremont but I would be very disappointed if they don't beat Exeter in a race for 2nd.

Group 5 will be very exciting to follow, especially with the recruitment wasps will be undertaking.

Last edited:
Great group for the Ospreys, yes Claremont but I would be very disappointed if they don't beat Exeter in a race for 2nd.

Group 5 will be very exciting to follow, especially with the recruitment wasps will be undertaking.

Although 2 wasps recruits have torn there ACL's haven't they which might mean they will be missing till the new year.

Halal is one forgot the other.

Wonder who this all black will be that was being talked about can't see it being a youngish All Black due to the lions going there.

Was it not Frank Halai ? He is probably capped against the US and is young. George Smith still looks very good as well

Because they did that before and it was shït. Sides got rewarded for performances from about 5 years ago, and we got Biarritz, Cardiff Blues among others as top seeds long after their time as an elite European side had come to an end, and their easier draws kept them higher for longer as well.

This new system is excellent and far better in my view. Gives more incentive for sides to perform in the league, particularly the Pro12.
I'd do a mixture of the two.

Current champions = 1st seed
Add 2 to the other finalist position
Add 4 to the semi-finalists
Add 16 to the other teams.
Play-off = bottom seed.
Divide out teams based on Pro14 first, AP, Pro12

Tier 1: Toulon(winner), Clermont (4), Saracens (5), Lenister (9), Glasgow (17)
Tier 2: Bath (18), Munster (18), Northampton Saints (19), Ospreys (19), Stade Francis (19)
Tier 3: Ulster (20), Toulouse (20), Leicester Tigers (20), Exeter Chiefs (21), Racing (21)
Tier 4: Scarlets (22), Wasps (22), Oyonnax (22) Benetton Treviso (23), Bordeaux Bègles (Play-Off)

Toulon and Bath swap making more sense. Ulster and Stade Francis drop a level to make up for Lenister good performance in both competitions. SF get a bit of bum deal but they didn't compete in Europe at this level so had an 'easier' time in the Top14

I'd do a mixture of the two.

Current champions = 1st seed
Add 2 to the other finalist position
Add 4 to the semi-finalists
Add 16 to the other teams.
Play-off = bottom seed.
Divide out teams based on Pro14 first, AP, Pro12

Tier 1: Toulon(winner), Clermont (4), Saracens (5), Lenister (9), Glasgow (17)
Tier 2: Bath (18), Munster (18), Northampton Saints (19), Ospreys (19), Stade Francis (19)
Tier 3: Ulster (20), Toulouse (20), Leicester Tigers (20), Exeter Chiefs (21), Racing (21)
Tier 4: Scarlets (22), Wasps (22), Oyonnax (22) Benetton Treviso (23), Bordeaux Bègles (Play-Off)

Toulon and Bath swap making more sense. Ulster and Stade Francis drop a level to make up for Lenister good performance in both competitions. SF get a bit of bum deal but they didn't compete in Europe at this level so had an 'easier' time in the Top14

And in all this where is the rewards and knock backs for performance in domestic leagues?
The new system has made this competition as the 3 domestic leagues as competitive as ever. I don't see why Leinster should be a top seed for finishing poorly in league and getting through a handyish pool in Europe last year by the skin of their teeth while Stade are 2nd seeds for a great domestic season.
Or equally how we could benefit from having an Italian team in our pool which enhances our chance of qualifying compared to Leinster for example who are in a tight pool.

Also it's crazy how an Ospreys team who haven't done a lot anywhere in terms of success or making to finals can be ranked the same as Stade or Saints who've won domestic honours and they're still behind us (who've won nothing in a long time) and Bath who are same.

Last edited:
I gave it a little thought beforehand but yeah didn't see how it panned out until my lunchbreak.

Obviously what happened to SF in mine is a tad unfair. It obviously needs refinement but I think you need to reward European performance as well as league.

Can't be bothered to start a new thread so we've got a horrible group.

Edinburgh
Grenoble
Agen

Pool 1:
Saracens
Ulster
Toulouse
Oyannax

Pool 2:
Clermont,
Ospreys
Exeter Chiefs
Bordeaux

Pool 3:
Glasgow
Northampton Saints
Racing 92
Scarlets

Pool 4:
SF Paris
Munster
Leicester Tigers
Treviso

Pool 5:
Bath
Toulon
Leinster
Wasps

We have what's possibly, the tightest calls since the European rugby was born as to who's going to progress!

I'm not sure about Munster. Its a good draw but Leicester and SF will be saying the same thing! As well as that, I don't think Foley's bosh tactics will work against those sides.

Pool 1: Tough group. The bad news for Saracens and Ulster is Noves has left.
Pool 2: Easy pool for Clermont but a chance for the others to come in as second seeds.
Pool 3: Very even group. Glasgow play well towards the end of each season but they havn't done it in Europe yet. Saints and R92 will be tough opposition.
Pool 4: Even enough between the top 3. Treviso have recruited well also this summer so they might be a little stronger than previously.
Pool 5: Tough pool. With MOC gone, Leinster should be much improved however its a world cup year so half their squad will be tired. Toulon to win with Leinster second.

Although 2 wasps recruits have torn there ACL's haven't they which might mean they will be missing till the new year.

Halal is one forgot the other.

Wonder who this all black will be that was being talked about can't see it being a youngish All Black due to the lions going there.

Alapati Leiua has done his ACL, but he's not a new recruit, but he has had terrible luck. Halai was a suspected ACL, but the Coventry Telegraph reported that in fact it was just bad bruising of the bone, and he'll be back in 8 weeks. On his twitter there was a suggestion that he'll be partaking in the ITM pre-season, so I'd guess the CovTel have their info right.

I gave it a little thought beforehand but yeah didn't see how it panned out until my lunchbreak.

Obviously what happened to SF in mine is a tad unfair. It obviously needs refinement but I think you need to reward European performance as well as league.

I understand your ideas but it's just too hard as that was the problem. For example Leinster fans will agree they were useless last year yet got to a semi final but in a way abandoned the league in some ways and its a gamble that didn't pay off.
I think you'll never have a perfect scenario but what you have now is probably the best.
The Pro 12 in my eyes was the best overall last year as most teams were playing for something right up to last day or so. There's no let up and squad rotation and depth is now under more pressure making it more interesting. I think the extra spice helps improve guys more too

Apparently it is a current all black and will be in the RWC squad.

How much truth is in this remains to be seen.
I think one of Leinster or Bath will beat Wasps away. Grab an LBP and one TBP in the other games and they should be good. Toulon will lose in the Rec and Lansdowne rd.

I reckon Exeter could be dark horses for a runner up spot in that pool what with their smart recruitment (the largely unknown team from the ap at Europe)- don't write off Leicester either in their pool.
pool 5 is brutal, what were they thinking seeding like that...I think it could get messy with lots of away losses- only one team to emerge from that pool me thinks.

Agreed. They missed out on the play offs this season by a hair's breadth (although you could argue that the regular season suits them as they have relatively few England players). Next season, their younger stars (Nowell, Hill, LCD, Francis, Slade) will have a season more of AP experience under their belts and with the addition of Salvi, their first choice back row will be pretty monstrous. Also, Sandy Park is a tough place to win, which is useful in a competition like this. Underestimate them at your peril!

I must hold my hand up and say that I do have a soft spot for them (most Cornish talent goes to Exeter), so maybe I'm not being as objective as I usually like to think I am.

Latest posts