• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup Quarter Final: Leinster v Saracens

Cracker of a game. Rematch of last year's final and also the two most recent winners.

Leinster looking to complete an unbeaten season against the last chance Saracens have for a while. Whoever wins becomes favourites for the whole thing in all likelihood.

Presume the team is being named today. Wonder will we see a 6-2 split on the bench? If there's any team it's suited for it's Saracens.

I wonder what form Sarries will be in i mean have they put out a fully powered first team since the season restarted even once?

Screenshot_20200917-142654__01.jpg

And my least favorite adage for a winnable game of European knockout rugby goes tooooo "nothing to lose"!

Last edited:
I'd love it if Sarries won (the whole thing), but it's hard to contend with 11(?) members of your first team squad having left the club "mid"*season - and then your flyhalf being banned, on top of that
(*technically they left at the end of their contracts, but it's mid way through this mad season)

I reckon close game until maybe 50 and then Leinster pull away for a comfortable win

I'd love it if Sarries won (the whole thing)
Bruh?

Think I'd take a Leinster v Toulouse final over a guaranteed Leinster win against another side if I was offered both.

This weekend I think we'll win, I don't think the players are over last year's final and home advantage coupled with Farrell's ban should be more than enough of an edge to win.

I'd love it if Sarries won (the whole thing), but it's hard to contend with 11(?) members of your first team squad having left the club "mid"*season - and then your flyhalf being banned, on top of that
(*technically they left at the end of their contracts, but it's mid way through this mad season)

I reckon close game until maybe 50 and then Leinster pull away for a comfortable win
Just saw this article ***le:

Greatest rugby sides: Saracens 2015-19

The reign is over, it has been written (perhaps by a Leinster fan)

Tough on Kelleher. Ballsy and correct call going Baird over Fardy on the bench. A fresh Connors to deal with Sarries ball carriers is a good play.

Leinster

15. Jordan Larmour
14. Hugo Keenan
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. James Lowe
10. Jonathan Sexton (Captain)
9. Luke McGrath

1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Andrew Porter
4. Devin Toner
5. James Ryan
6. Caelan Doris
7. Will Connors
8. Jack Conan

Replacements

16. Ronan Kelleher
17. Ed Byrne
18. Michael Bent
19. Ryan Baird
20. Josh van der Flier
21. Jamison Gibson-Park
22. Ross Byrne
23. Rory O'Loughlin

Saracens:

15 Elliot Daly
14 Alex Lewington
13 Duncan Taylor
12 Brad Barritt (Captain)
11 Sean Maitland
10 Alex Goode
9 Richard Wigglesworth

1 Mako Vunipola
2 Jamie George
3 Vincent Koch
4 Maro Itoje
5 Tim Swinson
6 Mike Rhodes
7 Jackson Wray
8 Billy Vunipola

Replacements

16 Tom Woolstencroft
17 Richard Barrington
18 Alec Clarey
19 Callum Hunter-Hill
20 Calum Clark
21 Aled Davies
22 Manu Vunipola
23 Dom Morris

Still a pretty strong team from Cobra Kai (Karate Kid 3 version) despite losing a raft of players and Farrell to his own headless behavior. Meanwhile the Cobra Goys (yes I'm leaning fully into this bit) look pretty strong across the park to the extent they can afford to drop a guy like Fardy and VDF is benched. I think their backs in particular are a step up from Sarries. Happy to see they've backed Connors, he's been excellent. Backrow in general should be exciting. Also didn't predict the emergence of Keenan, but again bar a few slip ups he's shown really well. Actually think Sarries might be able to turn the screw at scrumtime though.

I think we're looking a good bit better with our half backs, centres and flankers. Sarries probably have an edge in the front row and definitely number 8. I think we should get over the line but it could be tricky.

Sexton going to be raining high balls on Daly early doors? Or Just stick to the Leinster script?

Latest posts