Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Leinster.png

Sunday
Local Time: 16:00
Matmut Stadium, Lyon

2009/2010 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRKFyE_Crk
2010/2011 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20Lggt_Rf4
2011/2012 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKCOo_bEoZU
2012/2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUZEJ51QYE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJuRt6X7m7A

European rugby's best rivalry has returned, the respect between these two sides is unparalleled according to any Leinster fan circa. 2013 who couldn't take losing very well. The teams will look vastly different next week, no BOD and D'Arce, no Bonnaire, Hines or Cudmore, no James, no Schmidt, no Cotter and Leo Cullen won't be able to do anything dirty in the coach's box but the rivalry will be carried on through the likes of Sexton, Fofana, Isa and Parra. Home country advantage pits les Jaunards in Lyon a mere 2hrs from home and will be quietly confident given Leinster's loss-draw record in France this season to weaker sides. Leinster travel knowing they'll have to mirror the grit and determination of 2012's heroes of Bordeaux. While they do have leaders surviving from that game in Sexton, Isa, SOB and Heaslip they'll be relying on the Ringshaw to bring what He and D'Arcy did, Triggs to be a hard ******* in the second row like his fellow Kiwi Brad Thorn and McGrath to show the experience and maturity that he has sporadically throughout the season, with ASM's formidable side being far and away their toughest test this season I believe this Leinster side to be a year too young, Clermont <7.

Clermont v Saracens in the final for me. But then Clermont can sleepwalk thru a big game like no other.

Clermont fans are already nervous with me talking about it. I dropped a few bombs last time I was there. Whatever scenario they're already nervous at the thought of

a/not making the CCup final
b/making the final but losing
c/making CCup and T14 finals AND losing both out of habit

When I meet my Clermont friends I try not to use innocuous words like 'Final, Cup, Champ' in same sentence for the sake of our friendship.

The Irish could rob us of our fun and pull a cheap Pro12 on poor CCup with an all Irish final.

Last edited:
Opportunity for Peter Dooley to come in or does Michael Bent shift to loosehead cover with Mike Ross covering tighthead?

Bent definitely the safe option for a scrumming side like Clermont. Not seen much of Dooley, but Bent is playing well and will be better prepared for this given only a few days notice. Experience means a whole lot in a huge occasion like this

Healy can't catch break can he? Harsh enough. **** day all round for him

I'd say they'll go with Dooley. He looks ready now and seems level headed.

[FONT=&quot]Leinster Rigby (caps in brackets):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15. Joey Carbery (19)
14. Fergus McFadden (149)
13. Garry Ringrose (36)
12. Robbie Henshaw (11)
11. Isa Nacewa (167) CAPTAIN
10. Johnny Sexton (134)
9. Luke McGrath (72)
1. Jack McGrath (109)
2. Richardt Strauss (143)
3. Tadhg Furlong (64)
4. Devin Toner (195)
5. Hayden Triggs (28)
6. Rhys Ruddock (128)
7. Dan Leavy (35)
8. Jack Conan (48)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]16. Seán Cronin (127)
17. Peter Dooley (36)
18. Michael Bent (84)
19. Ross Molony (41)
20. Josh van der Flier (42)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (25)
22. Ross Byrne (21)
23. Zane Kirchner (85)

SOB out... ****!!

I think we needed one of Heaslip or SOB to win this game in France, I think I'd have gone Leavy VdF Conan with Ruddock on the bench though, only 5 guys in the 23 and 1 starter without international experience though (Isa scrapes in) so I'll be hopeful on my travels to Lyon and will hopefully be able to enjoy my 8hr bus back to Toulouse on Sunday night!
[/FONT]

I'm not sure home advantage (Lyon being a couple of hours from Clermont) will count a great deal as Clermont have been blowing hot and cold this season and home games have no longer been certain victories - Montpellier and more recently, and surprisingly, Brive have won there.
As Frenchfan wrote earlier, Clermont will be nervous going into this match, and more than usual, and rightly so as Leinster will be a tough nut to crack.
I'm going with a Leinster victory by 9 or 10.

Two ways of looking at no Rob Kearney, Heaslip or O'Brien. Yes they've proved they're up to winning in France and performing at the highest level but i have to admit i'm excited by the prospect of the young lads creating their own history. Its a game for Leavy, Conan, Carberry, etc to show they're every bit as good as the incumbents if given a chance.

On the game itself....irrespective of who Leinster pick, Clermont are worthy favs. Hoping we can sneak a tight win but clear headed i'll go for Clermont by 5.

Personally i'm hoping for a Munster V Leinster final and i think out of the two fixtures Clermont even at home is more vulnerable than Saracens.

Either way this is the most excited i have been for a euro semi weekends in a while.

Best of luck Leinster tomorrow. Love fact most young guys like Leavy and Conan have big roles tomorrow and hope they've stormers.

Would rather Clermont as i think Leinster will beat us in the final. All i hope for is a great game of rugby, and i think Leinster by 8

As Frenchfan wrote earlier, Clermont will be nervous going into this match, and more than usual, and rightly so as Leinster will be a tough nut to crack.

I was talking about the fans not the players. I've no idea if the Clermont players are nervous or not. Some of their fans certainly are from talking to them.

They'll put on a great show for their team in Lyon. The Leinster fans are going to be outnumbered.

Have a lot of time for Clermont as a club and its fans. We have a lot in common. They've always produced good players. They have some great younsters coming thru now (Iturria Cancoriet Jedrasiak Raka Penaud etc). Hope they win a ***le this season.

Last edited:
Aye, on the way to the stadium now, could be slightly more lubricated but I have time!

- - - Updated - - -

Look for the aesthetic Leinster fan in clubmaster shades if you want to fall in love!

Latest posts