• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup SF. 1 - ASM Clermont Auvergne v Leinster Rugby

I think Irish hate Lions due to fact injuries usually follow.
I love the money that it brings to the IRFU. I love the fact that a host of younger Irish players will be exposed to test rugby against Japan and USA this summer. I hate the hype behind these glorified exhibition games. I hate that after a long, hard season players are flogged for 6 weeks on tour. I hope the Irish players go well and are injury free. Beyond that, why should I care how the English, Welsh and Scottish players perform?

I know the try was disallowed but I loved Dan Leavy's hustle to go from holding Aurelien Rougerie back from making a tackle, to getting off the deck and being first at the breakdown to "score" the try. Shows tremendous workrate. Great point made on the42.ie by Murray Kinsella that the touch judge who called it, Ian Davies, was the referee when Leinster got away with a similar move against Connacht last weekend. He learned from his mistake and made a call which I guess everyone else watching in the stadium and on TV missed.

The age profile of this Leinster team means they should contend for a long time.

Leicester usually breed the animals, so he must be a Leicester man. We sadly stumbled across him before you.

Saracens will probably make him a world beater.

well at least you turned him into an arm breaker, and have a head coach who lie to the citing panel about him.

True but any true Rugby fan knows its B&I Lions. Like look at BT tweet during week. But main issue is injuries. Tour is so intense

Yeh but that isn't solely an irish issue.

Although i would say quite a few Leicester fans are Lions neutral.

The fans hate it... but the players love it. PoC in his book loved playing for the lions, and I'm sure he even mentioned having it as an aim from early on his career.

Lions > nation > club / province.

Let's not become like football where fans see club as more important. I would much prefer to see the Lions win in New Zealand than Saints win the EC.
Can't disagree that the players find it an honour to be selected for the Lions. It is. To be chosen as one of the best in the British, Scottish and Irish Isles is a great achievement. Do I think any of them would swap a Lions series win for World Cup win or 6 Nations ***les? Not for a second.

Ireland first, Leinster second, Lions register somewhere near the Barbarians after that.

I must say though that Conor Murray came back from the last Lions tour a much better player. Ronan O'Gara has spoken about being struck by how far ahead English players were in their professionalism on the 2001 tour. Players can learn from it.

I love the money that it brings to the IRFU. I love the fact that a host of younger Irish players will be exposed to test rugby against Japan and USA this summer. I hate the hype behind these glorified exhibition games. I hate that after a long, hard season players are flogged for 6 weeks on tour. I hope the Irish players go well and are injury free. Beyond that, why should I care how the English, Welsh and Scottish players perform?

I know the try was disallowed but I loved Dan Leavy's hustle to go from holding Aurelien Rougerie back from making a tackle, to getting off the deck and being first at the breakdown to "score" the try. Shows tremendous workrate. Great point made on the42.ie by Murray Kinsella that the touch judge who called it, Ian Davies, was the referee when Leinster got away with a similar move against Connacht last weekend. He learned from his mistake and made a call which I guess everyone else watching in the stadium and on TV missed.

The age profile of this Leinster team means they should contend for a long time.

I agree with all that Snoop. But I think youth should be tried on summer regardless. Like it shouldn't take a Lions series. Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam, Jack Conan Adam Byrne, Jacob Stockdale and Sean O'Brien (Connacht) along with raft of others should be tested. International rugby is getting luke club rugby now in that you need 40 players.
On Leavy. He was right in what he did because you get away with it more often than not. He's going to be a class act. Again its hard yo see Heaslip being undisputed 8 and Sean O'Brien undisputed 7. Conan and Leavy were unreal and are only getting better. Competition is serious there. And that is my gripe on Heaslip getting a Central Contract. I hope that doesn't get him in the team but more the best man gets in there.

Can't see how Clermont are in decline over previous years. They too ave a great generation coming thru. Guys like Iturria in their early 20s who are first starters already.

Not in decline more they aren't as good as they were few years ago. Still a fabulous team and by no means in decline as in on way out

Leicester usually breed the animals, so he must be a Leicester man. We sadly stumbled across him before you.

Saracens will probably make him a world beater.

- - - Updated - - -

The fans hate it... but the players love it. PoC in his book loved playing for the lions, and I'm sure he even mentioned having it as an aim from early on his career.

Lions > nation > club / province.

Let's not become like football where fans see club as more important. I would much prefer to see the Lions win in New Zealand than Saints win the EC.

First of all. Nobody disputed a players aim being Lions.

2nd of all knowing Paul personally. His main aim was to be a Munster player (when eventually getting in to rugby). He's a calculated guy who always aims 1 step up so naturally the Lions squad was an aim as it's a harder squad.
He also said the 2005 tour was 1 of worst of his career and 2009 was 1 of best. That point means nothing really.
On last bit like soccer. I think most feel more connected to clyb/nation than Lions for real obvious reasons so nothing like that soccer comment which again is a bit nonsense. And lastly people really disliking Lions for reasons supported by science and stats is hardly that bad. Nobody said they hoped NZ would hammer Lions just they're not fans of it and it may be dated. Again it's debatable but fair opinion.

I'd put Ireland and Munster out ahead of Lions, but I do take pride in the Lions because it's a chance to all support one team in our hatred of the Southern Hemisphere.

I'd put Ireland and Munster out ahead of Lions, but I do take pride in the Lions because it's a chance to all support one team in our hatred of the Southern Hemisphere.

I'd add I'm same. By a distance Munster and Ireland. But I never wish Lions to loose or go bad just I'm not as passionate on them. I watch the games and all that but when it's over I'm not fussed as much

You guys would be a lot more likeable if you just signed maybe one or two more guys from Tonga and declared yourself a Pacific Island. It's going that way anyway.

Totally agree. Northampton Samoa Vs Munster Pretoria

- - - Updated - - -

First of all. Nobody disputed a players aim being Lions.

2nd of all knowing Paul personally. His main aim was to be a Munster player (when eventually getting in to rugby). He's a calculated guy who always aims 1 step up so naturally the Lions squad was an aim as it's a harder squad.
He also said the 2005 tour was 1 of worst of his career and 2009 was 1 of best. That point means nothing really.
On last bit like soccer. I think most feel more connected to clyb/nation than Lions for real obvious reasons so nothing like that soccer comment which again is a bit nonsense. And lastly people really disliking Lions for reasons supported by science and stats is hardly that bad. Nobody said they hoped NZ would hammer Lions just they're not fans of it and it may be dated. Again it's debatable but fair opinion.

Well done you. Indeed, his book read Munster first but he also set new goals through his career.

What's soccer?

Totally agree. Northampton Samoa Vs Munster Pretoria

- - - Updated - - -

Well done you. Indeed, his book read Munster first but he also set new goals through his career.

What's soccer?

Football/soccer same thing.
Again so you've made no sense.
Every players sets new goals. Sexton said he aims for ROGs points tally. Every player I'm sure aims to make sports psychology that they use most weeks to their benefit. Make club, cement spot, make National, cement sot, make Lions, cement spot. Extra targets then. In 2013 I think it was BOD aimed for World player of year.
And again you say some stuff with no back up or nothing just confused I am I suppose. There was too much sense here.

FYI there's not 1 Munster player who's from Pretoria

Football/soccer same thing.
Again so you've made no sense.
Every players sets new goals. Sexton said he aims for ROGs points tally. Every player I'm sure aims to make sports psychology that they use most weeks to their benefit. Make club, cement spot, make National, cement sot, make Lions, cement spot. Extra targets then. In 2013 I think it was BOD aimed for World player of year.
And again you say some stuff with no back up or nothing just confused I am I suppose. There was too much sense here

Why do I need to back things up when I'm just winding you up :p

Anyways, I hope Munster win the Pro12.

Why do I need to back things up when I'm just winding you up :p

Anyways, I hope Munster win the Pro12.

My point is simply not just to you but anyone who doesn't see it. There is a big difference between not being a fan of Lions and wishing tjem bad luck.

Anyway back on topic it's interesting to see Carbery performance at 15. Opens up a debate on where is his future

How is Parra not France's number 9??? The guy is incredible, madness.

Agreed. I think a leader like Parra at SH is what has been missing for France in 6N. I'm surprised he has not earned a recall yet with his return to form. We have great depth in his position so it's worked against him. But his goal kicking stats and partnership with Lopez speak in his favour. Maybe he will.

Serin and Dupont are both talent but they're still young and showed their inexperience. Noves wants to develop youngsters and he's right but I still think there's room for Parra who can bring the direction and leadership that's lacking somewhat.

Last edited:
I agree with all that Snoop. But I think youth should be tried on summer regardless. Like it shouldn't take a Lions series. Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam, Jack Conan Adam Byrne, Jacob Stockdale and Sean O'Brien (Connacht) along with raft of others should be tested. International rugby is getting luke club rugby now in that you need 40 players.
On Leavy. He was right in what he did because you get away with it more often than not. He's going to be a class act. Again its hard yo see Heaslip being undisputed 8 and Sean O'Brien undisputed 7. Conan and Leavy were unreal and are only getting better. Competition is serious there. And that is my gripe on Heaslip getting a Central Contract. I hope that doesn't get him in the team but more the best man gets in there.

If O'Brien, Heaslip and Kearney were on the pitch Leinster might have won. Our inexperience played a big part in them establishing a 15 point lead early. Leavy and Carberry were very shaky in that period. Leavy made a poor read in defence that lead to the try for example. Hopefully it'll stand to them for the future.

I love the Lions tours btw. Only exception was Wales playing in Lions colours 4 years ago. Then i was indifferent.

Not in decline more they aren't as good as they were few years ago. Still a fabulous team and by no means in decline as in on way out

They are better than previous seasons. They have dispatched with ease the opposition in their home pool games.

There was only one team on pitch today in 1st half.

They have grown with Lopez at 10 when in past Brock James failed them in pressure games (and he did again yesterday for La Rochelle v Gloucester). Lopez is not flaky. And his ability to drop kick is hopefully a weapon they can use again in a tight game.

Last edited:
They are better than previous seasons. They have dispatched with ease the opposition in their home pool games.

There was only one team on pitch today in 1st half.

They have grown with Lopez at 10 when in past Brock James failed them in pressure games (and he did again yesterday for La Rochelle v Gloucester). Lopez is not flaky. And his ability to drop kick is hopefully a weapon they can use again in a tight game.

I haven't watched as much in Top14 as you probably have. Just on European displays I think the team of few years ago was better. And again it's not saying they're poor now as they certainly are not that

If O'Brien, Heaslip and Kearney were on the pitch Leinster might have won. Our inexperience played a big part in them establishing a 15 point lead early. Leavy and Carberry were very shaky in that period. Leavy made a poor read in defence that lead to the try for example. Hopefully it'll stand to them for the future.

I love the Lions tours btw. Only exception was Wales playing in Lions colours 4 years ago. Then i was indifferent.

Maybe but equally I think they might have been a negative. Especially Kearney in that game. But we will never know. 100% agree though that itbwill stand to them in future

On Leinster was very impressed by Ringrose. Awesome individual try. Natural flair.

Also liked Conan. Future 8 for Ireland.

Just back in Toulouse, pretty gutted! First of all I'd like to complement Clermont's fans, theyvare incredible, friendly and epitomise the value of the game, I swapped jerseys with a man far bigger than I after the game which was pretty cool if not functional for either of us!

As for the game, it was frustrating, reminded me a lot of Scotland considering we didn't show up for 35mins and then almost had it, three things in that second half wemt against us; Leavy getting spotted cheating, no complaints but that easily could have gone unnoticed resulting in a try, the terrible call against Isa for "taking the man out in the air" followed by a missed call on him being tackled off the ball and not securing posession off the last restart, 10 points and a last ditch chance to win the game gone right there and no Final for the boys! It'll stand to those guys though, Leavy, Conan and Carbery took 40mins to realise that they could play to this level and poor old Richardt strauss was probably the main contributor to a loss in France against Clermont for the second time in his career. We'll be back next year the only worry being that it will probably be December at best that Sexton, Henshaw, SOB, Furlong and McGarth hit their stride.

Latest posts