• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League Thread Part 2

Absolutely gutted for Bremen. I follow them in the Bundesliga. They have been having a decent season and a have a nice inexpensive team that would compete well in any league in Europe.

Look out for Klasnic in the world cup, he's come on alot recently.

Talk about the commentator's curse as well, bigging up the keeper's performance and then he makes that howler. Fierce unlucky though.

Well Liverpool have some work to do to keep the defence of their trophy alive, need 3 goals now after that cracker from Simão.

2 - 0 Benfica, well Liverpool have been unlucky in this game and this points out the fact more and more that Liverpool need a prolific Goal Scorer, having hit the post twice and missed some real good chances...

Well Done Benfica...

Arsenal are now Englands only representives in the champions league... After their 0-0 draw with Real Madrid...

In Other News Lyon are safely through after an impressive 4- 0 win over last years semi finalists PSV... AC Milan also beat Bayern Munich 4-1 to book their place in the Quarter Finals...

Should be some interesting ties, Benfica and Villareal seem to be the shock teams in the last 8..

Arsenal through, deservedly so, was one of the better 0-0 I've seen. Some cracking chances especially that one from Henry, magnificient save from Casillas. Thought Hleb was one of Arsenal's better players as well.

Milan through comfortably in the end after beating Munich 4-1 while Lyon will feel a little less agrieved after gaining revenge over PSV and their failure to beat them in last season's quarter finals.

Only the Inter Ajax tie remains unresolved now. Should be some cracking quarter finals. What odds on Benfica getting Villareal as well.

I was gonna go off on a big rant but all i'll say is :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

...and the crowd last night showed why Liverpool have the best fans in the WORLD!

YNWA

Go Barca!!!

Problem for Liverpool is fairly obvious but the other problem is who's going to want to join them when it's not certain that the manager will be there next season.

Rafa will stay and hopefully he'll get the 30mill (dont know where they pulled that sum from) and we can buy Joaquin/Simao and Kuyt/Owen/Villa so we can challenge for the league next year.(fingers crossed)

I wouldn't be so sure about that, 30 million won't get him very far thanks to Chelsea overinflating the transfer market.

Well we only need 2 maybe 3 players (ST,RW,LB) and we can sell some guys like Cisse and Mori.

Looks like Betis could be relegated which means they must sell Joaquin ..... and Simao(******* :p ) has been linked with us for a while now..... either would solve our right problem.

Striker is obviously what we need the most............ I think its time for Kuyt to move and i think i'd prefer him over Owen,

Well Chelsea have previously shown interest in Joaquin so they can blow Liverpool out of the water with him, Simão looks technically good but I'm not sure if he'd settle in the premiership, similar to Luis Garcia. Don't know many managers who'd take Cissé, a tad overrated to say the least and to think Liverpool paid â'¬21 million for him.

No class player though such as Joaquin would commit to Liverpool until Benitez makes his intentions known

I'm heartbroken. The CL is my favourite competition by a mile and I'm gutted we've crashed out. At least I can take consolation that we managed to get through to the knockout stages.

I swear you could hear my heart break when Simao scored.

Draw was made in Paris today with the presenter fainting. 2 cracking ties with Arsenal taking on Juventus and Lyon facing Milan. Other 2 ties not so attractive with Inter/Ajax taking on Villareal and Barcelona travel to Lisbon to take on Benfica, shouldn't be any shocks this time round.

Semi final draw was confirmed as well, with Arsenal/Juventus taking on Inter/Ajax or Villareal and the other semi sees Lyon/Milan tkaing on Benfica/Barcelona

Draw in full:

Quarter Finals - 28/29 March, 4/5 April

Arsenal v Juventus
Lyon v Milan
Inter/Ajax v Villareal
Benfica v Barcelona

Semi Finals - 18/19 April, 25/26 April

Arsenal/Juventus v Inter/Ajax/Villareal
Lyon/Milan v Benfica/Barcelona

Shame that Barca and Milan are on the same side of the draw, that would of been a great final

Could be a cracking semi final though, fancy Milan to come through against Lyon, Juninho will be a huge loss in the first leg, although I thought Gatusso would be for Milan on Wednesday and they still won 4-1, but that speaks volumes for Milan's class more than anything.

Barcelona won't miss the chances that Liverpool did against Benfica, they're an ordinary team and won't be able to hold out against the power of Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Larsson.

Inter or Ajax should still have too much for Villareal, only going through by away goals against a Rangers team that is only 3rd in the SPL doesn't say much for them either.

Arsenal against Juve is one of the ties of the round and probably the hardest to call, the return of Vierra will add more interest to this one as well. Couldn't call it though, just too close.

Latest posts