• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League Thread

Soccer-Larsson could be out for season after tearing knee

In Barcelona story headlined "Larsson could be out for season after tearing knee", please read in third para ... during Saturday's ... instead of ... during Sunday's ... correcting day. Corrected repeat follows:
BARCELONA, Nov 22 (Reuters) - Barcelona striker Henrik Larsson could miss the remainder of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, the Spanish club said on Monday.
The extent of the injury was revealed by keyhole surgery performed by club doctors on the Swedish striker's knee on Monday to repair cartilage damage sustained during Saturday's Primera Liga victory over Real Madrid.
Barcelona's official website said Larsson had asked for any surgery on the torn ligament to be postponed, making it difficult to estimate how long the 33-year-old player would be out of action.
"By the player's express wishes definite surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament has been postponed," the club quoted a medical statement as saying.
Barcelona, who are at home to Larsson's former club Celtic in the Champions League on Wednesday, said the injury was at least as serious as those suffered by Larsson's team mates Thiago Motta, Gabri and Edmilson.
Brazil midfielder Edmilson suffered damage to the same ligament in his right knee early last month and was ruled out for at least six months.

Originally posted by shiznit@Nov 23 2004, 12:41 AM
i dont know why people call him a cheat.
Because he dives in the penalty box a lot. He gets players sent off.

I could go on but those are the two main gripes.

It just the way he comes across as being such a goody two shoes when he's such a cheatin' ******* that really ****** me off.

C. Ronaldo is worse.
why single out Ruud?
every side has atleast one player that does it.
i think it stems from his freakish ability as a goal scorer.
if he wasnt one of the most prolific goal scorers in European history then you wouldnt hear a peep out of anyone.
anyway...
good game this morning between Man U and Lyon. Man U winning 2-1.
Ruud was pretty quiet until he got a goal.
Smith and Rooney were fantastic.
Hanse, Silvestre and Ferdinan were pretty safe at the back.
Roy Caroll gave away a shocker.

also....
Liverpool might be gooooooooorne!!
Monaco beat them 1-0 but i think Liverpool were unlucky as Saviola's goal was a bloody handball i thought.

It's looking bad for Liverpool, I was surprised at how bullish the lads on Sky were last night about Liverpool beating Panathanaikos, no room for objective opinions at all.

If we win we will go through, it's as simple as that.

I'm confident we'll be there.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Nov 25 2004, 10:10 AM

I don't know. Liverpool don't look great at the moment, and Panathanaikos are one of those teams who can always cause upsets in Europe.

I'm confusing myself here, Olympiakos are in Liverpool's group with Panathanaikos in Arsenal's, either way I won't be surprised to see both teams knocked out. Arsenal don't seem to be able to buy a win at the moment and being without Lauren and Vierra as well as Gilberto won't make Rosenborg any easier.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Nov 25 2004, 03:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Nov 25 2004, 03:24 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Nov 25 2004, 10:10 AM

I don't know. Liverpool don't look great at the moment, and Panathanaikos are one of those teams who can always cause upsets in Europe. [/b]
What a shame we're playing Olympiakos.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Nov 26 2004, 01:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 26 2004, 01:34 PM)</div>
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Nov 25 2004, 03:24 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Nov 25 2004, 10:10 AM

I don't know. Liverpool don't look great at the moment, and Panathanaikos are one of those teams who can always cause upsets in Europe.
What a shame we're playing Olympiakos. [/b]
Lol, my lack of current football knowledge trips me up again. I used to be a bit of a guru, but I've lost touch now..........

Some interesting results tonight, Chelsea losing to Porto, Valencia going out, PSV getting thumped by Panathanaikos. Must be frustrating for Panathanaikos to go out with 9 points in their group while Porto qualify with 8 points. Dissappointing for Celtic not to get a UEFA cup place but since Larsson has left we've lost any bit of class we had.

Results from this evening

Group E
Arsenal 5-1 Rosenborg
Panathanaikos 4-1 PSV
Group F
Celtic 0-0 Milan
Shaktar 2-0 Barcelona
Group G
Inter 3-0 Anderlecht
Valencia 0-2 Werder Bremen
Group H
Porto 2-1 Chelsea
PSG 1-3 CSKA

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Dec 7 2004, 10:10 PM
Some interesting results tonight, Chelsea losing to Porto, Valencia going out, PSV getting thumped by Panathanaikos. Must be frustrating for Panathanaikos to go out with 9 points in their group while Porto qualify with 8 points. Dissappointing for Celtic not to get a UEFA cup place but since Larsson has left we've lost any bit of class we had.
Seeing the Russians (Chelsea) lose is a suprise indeed.

Not disasppointing for Celtic to bow out though - comedy genius imo.
<
<
<
<
<
<

celtic in fairness, just weren't good enough. Nice to see Duffer keeping himself on the scoresheets, even if it was a naff goal!

Hah slap in the face for Fergie not getting top spot in the group after losing in Istanbul. Liverpool scarped through with a late goal from Gerrard giving them a 3-1 win over Olympiacos.

Wednesday's Results
Group A
Deportivo 0-5 Monaco
Liverpool 3-1 Olympiacos
Group B
Leverkusen 3-0 Kiev
Roma 0-3 Real Madrid
Group C
Ajax 2-2 Munich
Macabi 1-1 Juventus
Group D
Fenerbache 3-0 Man Utd
<

Lyon 5-0 Sparta Prague

Top Seed Qualifiers
Monaco, Leverkusen, Juventus, Lyon, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter, Chelsea
Runners-up
Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Man Utd, PSV, Barcelona, Bremen, Porto

All four English sides are through.......that wouldn't have happened in a while would it???

Originally posted by NZL fan@Dec 9 2004, 02:45 AM
All four English sides are through.......that wouldn't have happened in a while would it???
I don't think so. Chelsea are the only side who really look good enough to win it at the moment though.

Originally posted by NZL fan@Dec 9 2004, 01:45 AM
First time in history I read this morning.

Thank God justice was done and Liverpool made it through and I'm delighted the cheating Greek tossers are out full stop no more than they deserve for diving, cheating, moaning their way through the game at Anfield.

Thing that ****** me off last night was when Carragher fouled Rivaldo and the ref wouldn't let him back on the pitch to take the free kick.

Latest posts