• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions League Thread

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Dec 9 2004, 03:59 PM
Thing that ****** me off last night was when Carragher fouled Rivaldo and the ref wouldn't let him back on the pitch to take the free kick.
Rules are rules the referee was quite right to not allow him back on.

It's frustrating to see Liverpool, the team who committed the foul, benefitting from it.

Let's face it, it's a ridiculous rule, full stop, but the referee has to abide by it as long as it is in place. Most people would rather he used his common sense, but according to FIFA legislation the men in the middle are forbidden from doing that.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Dec 9 2004, 04:07 PM
It's frustrating to see Liverpool, the team who committed the foul, benefitting from it.
Ah, here's my point though... If Rivaldo hadn't been rolling around on the floor like the Brazilian **** that he is (quite clearly a foul, no reason to stay down though) he would have been able to take it. And probably put it into the wall, which is where his first goes if Antonio Nunez does his job properly.

Champions League Last 16 Draw

Barcelona v Chelsea
Bayern Munich v Arsenal
Liverpool v Bayer Leverkusen
Man Utd v AC Milan
Porto v Inter
PSV v Monaco
Real Madrid v Juventus
Werder Bremen v Lyon

Dates to be confirmed.

Cracking draw great to see Man Utd get a tough draw for once in their lives, great tie in prospect with Barca playing Chelsea. Bayern v Arsenal is a tasty looking tie as well, Real v Juve mouthwatering, any more adjectives. Not really. Suspect Liverpool will be happy with the draw but I'd still be surprised if they go through.

Bloody brilliant draw. CFC v Barca and Man U v Meelan are going to be fantastic. Might put some money of all 4 English teams advancing.

I'd back Chelsea and Arsenal, Man Utd have a good chance but Liverpool will probably go out.

indeed, united would want to play their best football in 3 years to beat AC right now. I fancy Chelsea to progress, they don't fear anybody. Liverpool have a chance and i also expect the Gunners to get past the Bayern

Man U. VS AC Milan : United will go through. AC Milan look a shadow of the side that won at old trafford last year.

Chelsea VS Barca : Chelsea are Goooooooooooooorrrrneeeee!!
there absolute shite compared to Barca. like ive said before, Barca are the best side in Europe by Miles.

Liverpool VS Leverkusen : i fancy Liverpool to go through, Leverkusen dont exactly strike fear into the hearts of anyone do they.

Real VS Juve : I have no idea who will win this. if El' Galactico decide to turn up then i could see Real winning 5-0. but Juve could easily do the same.

Munich VS Aresnal : ill go with Munich in this one, the gunners look like there one loss away from being in a mess.

from the rest id think PSV, Bremen & Inter will go through.

Originally posted by shiznit@Dec 19 2004, 11:23 PM
Man U. VS AC Milan : United will go through. AC Milan look a shadow of the side that won at old trafford last year.
That's garbage.

They're MUCH improved and WILL beat you.

Looking forward to that one, especially the return of Stam who never should have been sold but that's Fergie's ego for you.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Dec 20 2004, 11:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 20 2004, 11:30 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-shiznit
@Dec 19 2004, 11:23 PM
That's garbage.

They're MUCH improved and WILL beat you. [/b]
Manchester will win and liverpool will lose! when are these games by btw?

Not till 22/23 February with the second legs on the 8/9 March. Plenty of time for teams to pick up injuries and for other players to return.

Originally posted by neh+Dec 20 2004, 12:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neh @ Dec 20 2004, 12:13 AM)</div>
Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Dec 20 2004, 11:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-shiznit
@Dec 19 2004, 11:23 PM

That's garbage.

They're MUCH improved and WILL beat you.
Manchester will win and liverpool will lose! when are these games by btw? [/b]
What's this got to do with Liverpool????

AC Milan are a much better team than United and will win both legs. The reason:

THEY CAN DEFEND!

United cannot and will be punished by Shevchenko.

who needs to defend when you have the likes of C Ronaldo, Rooney, Ruud, Smith and Saha up front.
Rio and Co. will hold up there end dont worry about that.
the only person i worry about is Roy Caroll. after the return leg against Lyon he gives me the shits when play heads down his end.

i think liverpool are extremely lucky. i think they know they got a good draw with leverkusen. could this be the last european game for gerard at anfield?
i was just thinking, who do the winners meet?
wouldnt it be funny if it was Real. Owen having to head back to the place that made him.

Originally posted by shiznit@Dec 21 2004, 01:08 AM
who needs to defend when you have the likes of C Ronaldo, Rooney, Ruud, Smith and Saha up front.
Rio and Co. will hold up there end dont worry about that.
the only person i worry about is Roy Caroll. after the return leg against Lyon he gives me the shits when play heads down his end.

Not sure who plays who after the last 16.
"Rio and co" can't hold the end against Crystal Palace, what makes you think you will hold out Andrei Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Kaka et al?

Saha - awful footballer.

Rooney - has much to learn about European football.

Ruud - will he be fully fit, he's out for 6 weeks.

Smith - your best striker minus Ruud.

Nesta and Stam have too much experience and too much class to get caught short against any of these four. Milan will win the tie.

Liverpool have been lucky with the draw - Man Utd fans are in no position to moan about easy draws, having seen their groups since 1996.

Originally posted by shiznit@Dec 19 2004, 11:23 PM

Chelsea VS Barca : Chelsea are Goooooooooooooorrrrneeeee!!
there absolute shite compared to Barca. like ive said before, Barca are the best side in Europe by Miles.

Liverpool VS Leverkusen : i fancy Liverpool to go through, Leverkusen dont exactly strike fear into the hearts of anyone do they.

Real VS Juve : I have no idea who will win this. if El' Galactico decide to turn up then i could see Real winning 5-0. but Juve could easily do the same.

Munich VS Aresnal : ill go with Munich in this one, the gunners look like there one loss away from being in a mess.

from the rest id think PSV, Bremen & Inter will go through.
Milan topped their group ahead of the best side in Europe by miles and they're a spent force.
<

Leverkusen topped their group ahead of Madrid, Kiev and Roma, no mean achievement despite the shortcomings of their oponents. Liverpool won't strike the fear of God into them.

Juve can defend so Real are probably in serious danger of going out plus some of their own players aren't too bad either.

Latest posts