• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Championship play offs

psychic duck

International
So Newcastle win the league by a large margin. Yet now lose the semi final first leg of the playoffs with a shock 24-19 defeat to Leeds thanks to an 80th minute try by back row Ryan Burrows, a side who finished 32 points below them in the league and a side they beat 53-10 in September. (http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=match&MatchID=28037)

Meanwhile London Welsh's chances of staying in the Premiership took a slight boost as Bedford (the only side who won't be allowed into the Premiership from the last 4) beat Nottingham 26-17, Nottingham scored a try in the last minute otherwise they would have had to beat 16 points in the second leg. (http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=match&MatchID=28036)

Second legs take place on the 10th and 12th May, but with the 2nd and 1st place sides in the league Nottingham and Newcastle both at home needing to overcome a margin of 9 and 5 points to get to the final.

Really hope Nottingham dont get promoted, they are in no way shape or form ready for the AP. Over ambition can be the death of clubs and Nottingham need to consolidate what they have and preferably find a better ground.

Bedford through to the final.

Beford 23 - 21 Nottingham

Last edited:
I think it will be Newcastle they face, the margin they need to win back is only 5 and at home I think they should pull it off, Welsh fans have a glimmer of light though.

London Welsh would be in no state to compete next season anyway. They have lost a lot of money by all accounts and also lost a fair few players and would have to assemble a rag tag squad of leftover players like they did this season.

Could Welsh actually afford to play in the prem?
They've lost a lot of money and players, and they've also lost their main backer(s).
If Bedford win and say they don't want to go up, and Welsh literally can't afford to, then what happens?
11 teams? Leeds/Newcastle (whoever the other finalist is)?

Newcastle move onto the final to face Bedford after a 15-6 win in the return leg, to win the total points 34-30. I really thought Newcastle would cruise in their semi-final maybe Bedford do have a chance.

Newcastle have got to be disappointed beating the side 4th in the league by 4 points on aggregate considering the margin between the sides on the league table and the fact they beat them 53-10 earlier in the season at home.

I expect Newcastle will go back up, but I'm not sure why their season long complete and utter dominance has stopped. They lost the last game of the league season to Bristol as well. And considering Leeds fared well, I guess Bedford logically should have a better chance if they finished ahead of Leeds in the league.

Either the pressure is getting to them or people have figured them out. Bedford have nothing to lose and I think will take it to them in the final could g either way...

The fact is Newcastle are not making the signings to make the team any better. Even if they do come up to the AP they will struggle because they have failed to sign someone like jimmy gopperth (who kicked most of there penaltys this season) who is leaving for Leinster.

I have every faith in Dean Richards, Im sure there will be signings waiting in the shadows just making sure the Falcons get promoted first before signing on the dotted line.

The fact is Newcastle are not making the signings to make the team any better. Even if they do come up to the AP they will struggle because they have failed to sign someone like jimmy gopperth (who kicked most of there penaltys this season) who is leaving for Leinster.
Alot of signings will be pending on promotion so they won't be allowed announce anything until fate is decided

I have every faith in Dean Richards, Im sure there will be signings waiting in the shadows just making sure the Falcons get promoted first before signing on the dotted line.

U must be from Durham city rugby club I recognise ur avatar :)

Yeah been a member for a couple of years now, son has just finished the season at U16s level, looking forward to the Colts next season.

Yeah been a member for a couple of years now, son has just finished the season at U16s level, looking forward to the Colts next season.

I played under 17s rugby last season for bishop. We are joining with the current under 16s and making a under 18s colts team

Latest posts