• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Change of rugby rules-points

V2bb24

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Brumbies
I just noticed that the ARU has decided to reduce points for penalty and drop goals for the National Rugby Championship. Attacking rugby is set to be the flavour of the revamped National Rugby Championship, with changes to the rules rewarding teams that choose to attack.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ampionship-20140813-103k86.html#ixzz3AX3mYlW1

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/08/14/nrc-rule-changes-promote-running-rugby/

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said: “While maintaining the integrity of the game, we want to see a more creative style of rugby being played where risk and attack are rewarded. So you’d like to think instead of key times in a game people kicking for goal, they’d kick for touch and play onâ€

Other changes include:

Scrums: Forwards will get just 30 seconds to set a scrum, barring legitimate injuries, with it able to be moved if the injury is only minor. The defending scrum half will also not be allowed to follow the ball in between the flanker and number 8.
Mauls: Referees will try to stop the ‘hold up tackle’ by making sure that defenders who hold a ball carrier up don’t immediately collapse a maul to force a turnover.
Time: The referees will decide when penalties have been awarded during stoppage time, allowing teams to kick for touch before time expires.
Bonus points: Teams will no longer be awarded a bonus point for scoring four tries in a game, with the bonus point now awarded to the team who wins by three or more tries.

The reason the ARU has decided to change the rules of the game is because SUPER RUGBY IS BORING !!! The Super League Final was boring !!!

Like I tried to say before - the game is in big trouble. The only reason they are changing the rules is because the game is too boring to watch !!!

Bla Bla Bla

Yep it is me again - BB24 (Version 2)

I just loved some of the the responses I got - before I was banned - haven't laughed so much in years.

When I read the ARU are changing the rules BECAUSE THE GAME IS BORING - I nearly p***d myself laughing remembering all the intelligent and thought provoking responses I got last time.

Go the Wallabies !! I will record and watch it later [BLINK][/BLINK]

*shhhh*...such a rad username...damn...if he keeps this pattern up, his next account can be a full barcode.
*tah doom tssss*

What is it with the ARU and always trying to bloody change the rules? :rolleyes:

That said, I like the idea of having 30 seconds to get the scrum ready, would help cut down the time wasting you sometimes see. Not sure what to make of the attempts to eliminate the choke tackle, is it because they still haven't got over that game vs Ireland in the WC? :p
Also 2 point DG's and Penalties = rubbish

What is it with the ARU and always trying to bloody change the rules? :rolleyes:

That said, I like the idea of having 30 seconds to get the scrum ready, would help cut down the time wasting you sometimes see. Not sure what to make of the attempts to eliminate the choke tackle, is it because they still haven't got over that game vs Ireland in the WC? :p

Agreed, only outdone in stupidity by 3 point conversions.

I don't think they are trying to get rid of the choke... What they want is of it becomes a maul it's played p instead of collapsed as soon as maul is called as teams do now.

Collapsed Maul should be a penalty.

On the points is not a bad idea in that it rewards the attacking team... But the reduction in PG means teams can infringe with less concern now.

So I remain undecided.

I don't think they are trying to get rid of the choke... What they want is of it becomes a maul it's played p instead of collapsed as soon as maul is called as teams do now.Collapsed Maul should be a penalty.

Well I reckon that they should get rid of the choke tackle and give the ball to the side moving forward (whether "Chokers" or "chokees") rather than automatically giving it to the "chokers"....

Its no different from the Cambridge Law Labs in England or the Stellenbosch Law labs in South Africa. Even the ITM Cup was used to test some of the new scrum engagement Laws a couple of years back. Its all being done with the approval of the iRB

Agreed, only outdone in stupidity by 3 point conversions.

I disagree. The idea of the three point conversion is to avoid reducing the value of a having goalkicker. This is no different than having two point conversions when a try was only worth three points.

On the points is not a bad idea in that it rewards the attacking team... But the reduction in PG means teams can infringe with less concern now.

This exact same scoring system has been used in South Africa's Varsity Cup for two years now and the statistics make interesting reading. They show that the number of penalties awarded has stayed around the same (slightly up in the first year, slightly down in the following year) from before the scoring system was introduced, while the number of tries has increased in both years.

Another thing the NRC is doing is that a scrum penalty cannot be kicked for goal. It can be kicked for touch with a gain in ground while retaining the throw in to the lineout. This is something I really like the idea of. Too many teams use the scrum as a means of getting kickable penalties either by using illegal scrummaging techniques to force opponents to give one away, or by conning the referee into awarding one. By reducing that incentive, we could see real scrummaging return, that is, for the scrum to be used for what it is really for, a way to restart the game after a stoppage, in such a way that it involves a contest for possession.

Its no different from the Cambridge Law Labs in England or the Stellenbosch Law labs in South Africa. Even the ITM Cup was used to test some of the new scrum engagement Laws a couple of years back. Its all being done with the approval of the iRB

I disagree. The idea of the three point conversion is to avoid reducing the value of a having goalkicker. This is no different than having two point conversions when a try was only worth three points.

This exact same scoring system has been used in South Africa's Varsity Cup for two years now and the statistics make interesting reading. They show that the number of penalties awarded has stayed around the same (slightly up in the first year, slightly down in the following year) from before the scoring system was introduced, while the number of tries has increased in both years.

Another thing the NRC is doing is that a scrum penalty cannot be kicked for goal. It can be kicked for touch with a gain in ground while retaining the throw in to the lineout. This is something I really like the idea of. Too many teams use the scrum as a means of getting kickable penalties either by using illegal scrummaging techniques to force opponents to give one away, or by conning the referee into awarding one. By reducing that incentive, we could see real scrummaging return, that is, for the scrum to be used for what it is really for, a way to restart the game after a stoppage, in such a way that it involves a contest for possession.

My point was that it's usually the ARU calling for the radical changes, John O'Niell in particular was always trying to change something or other.

Still don't like it, points are fine the way they are imo, and its only here and there that you see people actually wanting to change them!

I just noticed that the ARU has decided to reduce points for penalty and drop goals for the National Rugby Championship. Attacking rugby is set to be the flavour of the revamped National Rugby Championship, with changes to the rules rewarding teams that choose to attack.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ampionship-20140813-103k86.html#ixzz3AX3mYlW1

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/08/14/nrc-rule-changes-promote-running-rugby/

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said: “While maintaining the integrity of the game, we want to see a more creative style of rugby being played where risk and attack are rewarded. So you’d like to think instead of key times in a game people kicking for goal, they’d kick for touch and play onâ€

Other changes include:

Scrums: Forwards will get just 30 seconds to set a scrum, barring legitimate injuries, with it able to be moved if the injury is only minor. The defending scrum half will also not be allowed to follow the ball in between the flanker and number 8.
Mauls: Referees will try to stop the ‘hold up tackle’ by making sure that defenders who hold a ball carrier up don’t immediately collapse a maul to force a turnover.
Time: The referees will decide when penalties have been awarded during stoppage time, allowing teams to kick for touch before time expires.
Bonus points: Teams will no longer be awarded a bonus point for scoring four tries in a game, with the bonus point now awarded to the team who wins by three or more tries.

The reason the ARU has decided to change the rules of the game is because SUPER RUGBY IS BORING !!! The Super League Final was boring !!!

Like I tried to say before - the game is in big trouble. The only reason they are changing the rules is because the game is too boring to watch !!!

Bla Bla Bla

Yep it is me again - BB24 (Version 2)

I just loved some of the the responses I got - before I was banned - haven't laughed so much in years.

When I read the ARU are changing the rules BECAUSE THE GAME IS BORING - I nearly p***d myself laughing remembering all the intelligent and thought provoking responses I got last time.

Go the Wallabies !! I will record and watch it later [BLINK][/BLINK]

I'm all for these changes. Super rugby is the most free flowing league and even it is often dragged down by many of the above problems.

Things I find irritating:
- stoppages for "hurt" players who are just stretching or whatever
- taking forever to take a penalty kick (for points and touch)
- arbitrary enforcement at rucks - extremely inconsistent
- instant turnover from collapsed maul
- penalty kicks from half
- penalty kicks in general as opposed to running rugby
- 6 and 7s "bound" to the scrum on defense by a fingernail
- penalty calls at scrum seem arbitrary
- arbitrary sin binning
- players seem to be constantly offside at rucks and it isn't ever called
- lack of incentive to go quick on a penalty - back 10 is just not good enough perhaps

Latest posts