• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Charging the Kick

U

USA_Rugby

I see people charging the kick all the time in rugby, but I've never seen anybody actually block one. How does all of this work? Can you just run up and block it? Also, if you block it and somehow catch it, can you run with the ball?

Well the only kick you are allowed to charge down (apart from free kicks, which are more complicated to explain) are conversions. As soon as the kicker makes his movement towards kicking the ball the defending side are allowed to charge. It is possible and I have seen a couple of charge downs before.

If you managed to catch it you might look quite good, but there would be nowhere to run as play would be dead and it would be your side's kick-off.

I meant conversions, but about free kicks would be nice also.

Thanks Webby.

Basically get there, charge the ball down and if you get the chance either secure the ball or put pressure on the opposition. Remember this doesnt count on penalties. Charge them down and you will look a right pratt.

Yep free kicks are also allowed to be charged down as Shannon Paku found out last season when he started to move forward than Bevin Fortuin charged towards him.

Can you jump to block it, or just put your arms up?
[/b]

Yeah you can jump, just whenever you charge down, turn your face away. A rugby ball to the face is about as nice as a slipped disc.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Yeah you can jump, just whenever you charge down, turn your face away. A rugby ball to the face is about as nice as a slipped disc.
[/b][/quote]

Can you jump on a conversion?

Yea, I saw a video where a guy got nailed in the face. A Hurricanes player I believe. lol. The commentators where hilarious.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Can you jump on a conversion?

Yea, I saw a video where a guy got nailed in the face. A Hurricanes player I believe. lol. The commentators where hilarious.
[/b][/quote]

yeah you can run and jump to try and block it, Luger did it a few years back for quins I seem to recall. To my knowledge the only time you can't do it is on a penalty (as said before). Someone might have to correct me on that though, because I have a sneaking suspicion it may be the same for free kicks.

You can charge a free kick its been done plenty times but with the new ELV's who knows?

You may charge at any kicks during open play, and conversions, but not during penalty kicks to touch or at goal.

if you indeed charge down a conversion, and that does happen, the only thing that will happen is that they wont get the extra 2 points, and play will continue with a kick-off.

if you charge down a kick at open play, you are more than welcome to catch it and run to the line. Keep in mind that as soon as the ball hits you everyone from the opponent is ONSIDE...

so let's say, u tried to charge an FH kick, it touches ur hand, as u dived for it, but then, it still travels 20metres behind u.. well, anyone from the other team who was 20m offside when the ball was kicked is now onside.. and can make the run to the line if he's smart enough to do that...

Hopefully I've explained it pretty much.. oh, I'm a certified ref btw.. :p

ABF! You're back!

Btw, what about when John Eales was lifted to catch a penalty? ALways wondered about that one

ABF! You're back!

Btw, what about when John Eales was lifted to catch a penalty? ALways wondered about that one [/b]

You can't lift anymore ... and the Eales one was when he was lifted and stopped a penalty which is now not allowed!

managed to knock myself charging down a conversion underneath the posts, kicker followed through and connected with my head

managed to knock myself charging down a conversion underneath the posts, kicker followed through and connected with my head
[/b]
'God' doesn't really sound like a good username for u then...

I remember hearing about a particular incident where Australia (I think) conceded a penalty about 50 meters out, they put there pack under the posts and lifted a second row lineout style who caught the ball allowing them to run it back.

This could very easily have never happened, but if it's allowed why don't more teams do it ?

EDIT: I should read a whole thread before I reply.

EDIT 2: If you charge down a drop goal and it touches you but still goes over does it still count ?

That was John Eales wasn't it? That kind of rugby is the stuff legends are made of.

I guess it could be seen as unsporting which is why we dont see it more oftern

My understanding is to be allowed to charge down a conversion the entire team must be assembled behind the try line. If anyone is not the right to charge down is lost.

My question is what is the penalty if someone charges down a conversion inappropriately as in the above the situation?

Latest posts