• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cheap broadband

C

CeeJay

I was thinking about getting the new cheap broadand for 29.95 until I found out that it has a 200mb download cap(per month). Once you hav downloaded 200mbs it cuts off. Is this normal, it sounds like a con to me, and it kinda defeats the purpose of getting broadband. Even the 50 dollar a month package has a one gig cap ont it! this means if i joined xbox live i could download about one demo a month on my broadband!! this is f**king pathetic!! Is it the same the world over, or are us kiwis getting screwed yet again?

NZ's not to bad, the plans are the same in Australia (although a standard 256MB connectin with 200MB, they'll either charge you extra for downloads or drop you back to the speed of a 56K modem).

NZ's got a 2MB plan that if you're using a lot of pretty good (shame about the price). Also a good rule of thumb is always go 'unlimited' and always shop around.

Also try this is some places (Tiawan, Hong Kong, Netherlands) it's a free service.

we get screwed in nz because telecom own all the lines and then charge other isps heaps to use them an therefore cutting the isps margins a lot. the end result is the pricing we get.

you are unlikely to find unlimited at a decent speed in nz. I would suggest having a look around at different pricing because since the new 3.5MB plans have come in the isps have been coming out with all sorts of pricing and plans to gain more customers. make sure you don't end up on a plan where you have to pay for each mb you go over your monthly cap by as you will end up paying heaps each month

Did u mean 3.5gig? eaither way, that is not enough, I want it for xbox live gaming and to download content and demos, this just dosent cover it. Unlimited is 100 dollrs a month? So, how does it work for gaming? once your hooked up can you play unlimited as they dont count as downloads? What is the point of broadband if you get a cap on downloads. I currenty use high speed internt at uni, and I download about 200mbs every couple of days! Oh well, i guess ill hav to miss out. I wonder if its sunny out?

nah I was meaning connection speed not how much you could download a month. if you do get an unlimited plan it means exactly that, you can do whatever you like and will pay the same each month. what that means for gaming on the x-box is that you can play for as long as you want and download as many demos etc. I think with some isp you can get higher caps of around 40gigs- 80-gigs for an ok price.

Originally posted by esoj@Aug 24 2006, 05:28 PM
nah I was meaning connection speed not how much you could download a month. if you do get an unlimited plan it means exactly that, you can do whatever you like and will pay the same each month. what that means for gaming on the x-box is that you can play for as long as you want and download as many demos etc. I think with some isp you can get higher caps of around 40gigs- 80-gigs for an ok price.
Unlimited for $100????? Wow I am getting tempted!!!!

Are yousure it didn't really say 200gbs?

I have an 8mb line with a 20 gig monthly cap. then a 2mb subsiquent drop in speed for every extra 5 gig downloaded thereafter.

And I've never lost my full 8mb speed.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Aug 24 2006, 06:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@Aug 24 2006, 05:28 PM
Unlimited for $100????? Wow I am getting tempted!!!! [/b]
that's what ceejay said not me. there might be unlimited plans still out there not sure.

teh mite we can get 200gb plans but they cost like $200+ a month

There isn't really such a thing as truely unlimited broadband. I used to work (up to about a month ago) for Optus in Australia. And the only unlimited plans that I knew about were business plans but the ISP's would still have special conditions giving them the right to speedcap whenever they wanted to.

And seriously who really needs more than 60gb a month?

I've got a mate who regularly hits 60g usage a month. We monitor ourselves to our plan of 40g.

I pay 29 â'¬ a month for a ADSL2+ (my line speed is actually 14 Mb/s) including free phone (including North America and most of Europe) and TV (I should get HD TV in a week or two but my TV set is not HD ready). There's no capping in term of download.

As far as I know this is not an extraordinary offer most of the ISPs in France have a similar offer.

My mate told me about the 100 dollar unlimited plan, but he must be wrong if 200 gig cosats 200 a month!

LOL just had a look on xtra and it costs 149 a month for 40 gig. Ha ha, no way im getting braodband this decade!! I had no idea you had to pay so much for nothing!

i am with slingshot, and its 40 bucks for 40 bucks for 5gig, which is what i am on. i am normally close to 15gig which is only an xtra 10 bucks for another 10gig so not to bad.

i do alot of downloading, dont know what my flatmate does though. its only a 2mb connectoin and 256k down which is pretty scummy compared to most of the rest of the world

it is fairly easy to go through 60gig a month. all it takes is a few people on and downloading stuff and you will easily hit that. also it is not uncommon these days for people to have their own sites and stuff that they upload which also counts towards the monthly cap. orcon do have some of the better value for money plans out. some isps also do let you go over you monthly cap where you pay $10 for every 5-10gigs you go over by.

Dude, South Africa is the worst! Here, the ADSL lines are provided by ONE company, Telkom. For a 512 line, with a 3gig monthly cap they charge about ZAR700 which is around 143.703 NZD (calculated today, 19 September 2006).
It's quite expensive, no? The other wireless options are also 3gig monthly caps and cost around the same. The only difference is that the speed is slightly quicker (around 1mbps).

Telkom did now come out with a 4meg line, but it is on trail basis for around NZ$205.

Can you handle that!

This week one of the French ISP has announced that they would offer soon in Paris area the Fiber to the Home for the same cost as usual: 30â'¬. This means 100 Mb/s connections. That's creazy. The bottleneck won't be any more the local loop but the ISP bacbone or the servers bandwidth.

man i can't even dream of clockin up 60gigs a month! i had a 10gig plan but never got close to maxing it out so now i'm on the 5gig plan..
NZ are so far behind the rest of the world with speed and stuff it's not even funny. i hate downloading demos of xboxlive coz it takes too bloody long, i hope this new upgrade for next year is going to be noticeable. coz i can't really notice the last one.. can anyone else?