First XV
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ulster
South African side Cheetahs receive formal invitation to join
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40122015

a lot of travel to say the least....

A South African club has been formally invited to join the Pro12, BBC Scotland has learned.

The Cheetahs, based in Bloemfontein, have been approached by the league, which currently comprises teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy.

Two South African franchises will be cut from Super Rugby from 2018, amid a downsizing of the competition.

The Cheetahs and the Port Elizabeth-based Kings are widely expected to lose their Super Rugby status.

This speculation is thought to have prompted an invitation from the Pro12 - the league has explored options for expansion in North America and other parts of Europe, as it aims to generate more revenue and tap into new markets.

A Pro12 spokesman declined to comment when approached by BBC Scotland.

The South African Rugby Union is also eager to align with a northern hemisphere tournament in future.

A few weeks ago we were told a team from Houston was set to be announced. So it could be more speculation.

A few weeks ago we were told a team from Houston was set to be announced. So it could be more speculation.

N.America was mentioned in the Ulster Branch clubs meeting as was Germany.
I'd give more credence to this though than I would N.America or German rumours

alternatively could just be heaping pressure on the Italians to try and force them to sort it out

If the BBC is reporting it, it lends credibility to the rumour.

Now sure what to think. Will an Italian team be removed from the competition to make room? If Cheetahs aren't deemed good enough for Super Rugby, why are the Pro 12 looking to add them as it gives off the impression that it's an inferior league.

Long term, if true and it works financially for all parties, it gives the SARU a hell of a bargaining chip. Threats to pull out of Super Rugby will no longer seem like idle talk. Could we see the Rainbow Cup become reality 12 years after it was first reported?

What I would do to the pro 12 is make it a two division thing. Invite two USA and two Canadian sides from both America, invite the cheetahs, and invite a few European sides to join (eg from Georgia or Germany). Make it two 8 or 9 team divisions so there's less games so players don't need to worry about burnout and then you're improving lesser teams like those in Germany. Not to mention how they would dip into new markets, America has so much potential for the game to grow!

What I would do to the pro 12 is make it a two division thing. Invite two USA and two Canadian sides from both America, invite the cheetahs, and invite a few European sides to join (eg from Georgia or Germany). Make it two 8 or 9 team divisions so there's less games so players don't need to worry about burnout and then you're improving lesser teams like those in Germany. Not to mention how they would dip into new markets, America has so much potential for the game to grow!
This is great in theory and I'd love to see it work. In practice it wouldn't.

Say it was a two tier league with promotion and relegation. It's likely that the German, Georgian, Italian, American and Canadian teams would be in tier 2 (along with the likes of Connacht, Dragons and Edinburgh). Which TV company would pay for the rights to that division? Which sponsors would get involved? How many fans and media outlets would be energized by this concept? With no fans, no money and no financing, the second tier would fail and quickly dissolve.

A single European Super League is the way to expand into these markets.

Probably a bargaining chip against ital but I wouldn't mind this really given the dire financial situation of some of the Pro12 unions. Would be better to have two SA sides though to save on travelling for the other sides.

If the BBC is reporting it, it lends credibility to the rumour.

Now sure what to think. Will an Italian team be removed from the competition to make room? If Cheetahs aren't deemed good enough for Super Rugby, why are the Pro 12 looking to add them as it gives off the impression that it's an inferior league.

Long term, if true and it works financially for all parties, it gives the SARU a hell of a bargaining chip. Threats to pull out of Super Rugby will no longer seem like idle talk. Could we see the Rainbow Cup become reality 12 years after it was first reported?

It's not about the Cheetahs not being deemed good enough, which IMHO they are. But 2 SA teams have to be cut, and between the 6 SA teams, the Cheetahs and the Kings are the obvious choices:
  • They were the last 2 SA teams to be added to the Super Rugby Roster
  • They haven't made a playoff in Super Rugby yet
  • They have the least amount of attendances at their stadiums
  • They are financially in a worse position than the other SA teams
But you also need to remember, that the Cheetahs are the current Currie Cup champions. And perhaps with a move to play against NH teams, they might have a chance at winning some more trophies.

But with all this said, the Cheetahs have denied that they have been invited to join the PRO12:
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/cheetahs-deny-official-invite-to-join-pro12-20170601

This is the rumour that gets me most excited for the Pro12. There is some decent German talent and Wild would have the funds to fund a good coach and experienced foreign players. A continental European competition is the best way for the Pro12 to try and compete with television revenue and retain their top international players. It is still a long shot.

Not sure if this is an either/or situation with Stade France. I'd imagine the Pro12 would be the better option for the future of German rugby unless the French make noises about accepting a German side in the future.

I agree that expanding further into Europe is the future for PRO12, not the USA or SA.

Georgia and Germany have rich backers who could comfortably support a side in that comp, does Spain?

I agree that expanding further into Europe is the future for PRO12, not the USA or SA.

Georgia and Germany have rich backers who could comfortably support a side in that comp, does Spain?
FC Barcelona Rugby are part of the Barcelona football club family. Presumably they'd have money to burn if the saw the potential to make money from the sport.

I agree.

I know FC Barcelona had a cooperation with USA Perpignan in the past, but even a Barcelona-based fan couldn't tell me a couple of years ago if that still is a thing. They also have a good basketball and handball team, so they definitely aren't about football only.

Is this a credible source? Seems very partisan and tabloid in nature so I'm not convinced.

https://www.alloutrugby.com/sa-teams-queue-for-pro12/

Says Cheetahs and Kings are a done deal with a third unnamed side also wanting to jump over.

Quite optimistic about this as I think it'd be better for SA and Pro12 and that the future of NZ and Oz lies with Japan.

The real losers could be Argentina. What the hell do they do if this happens.

I still reckon this is bullshit posturing by SA against NZ and Pro12 against Italy rather than a serious plan.

Is this a credible source? Seems very partisan and tabloid in nature so I'm not convinced.

https://www.alloutrugby.com/sa-teams-queue-for-pro12/

Says Cheetahs and Kings are a done deal with a third unnamed side also wanting to jump over.

Quite optimistic about this as I think it'd be better for SA and Pro12 and that the future of NZ and Oz lies with Japan.

The real losers could be Argentina. What the hell do they do if this happens.

I still reckon this is bullshit posturing by SA against NZ and Pro12 against Italy rather than a serious plan.
I'd love this to be true. There would certainly be a revived interest in the Pro12 with these extra teams. There's been complaints about too many games though for a while now so adding teams and not taking some away doesn't exactly help this situation. Could we be seeing some sides cut perhaps? Newport go maybe and the Italian sides merge?

Latest posts