Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
ChrisPennell.jpg

The Rugby Forum is proud to announce that Newly Promoted Worcester Warriors Captain, Chris Pennell, has taken some time out to answer TRF Member's questions. Chris who has played for Worcester since he was a schoolboy has worked his way up through the ranks at Worcester Warriors, securing the captaincy last season and ensuring that Worcester Warriors got promoted back into the Aviva Premiership.

Big Ginger 8 - What was it like gaining promotion in your first season as captain?

Chris Pennell - Gaining promotion was the goal long before I was made captain. I feel really privileged to of had the role handed to me and it was a real honour to be able to lift the trophy with the rest of the guys last season.

04perryo - What has the Warriors pre-season been like this year has it been weights or has it been fitness?

Chris Pennell - Pre-season has been superb. There has been a slightly different emphasis as we all managed to make big strides forward with our fitness last season. Initially we focussed on our weights and speed with a fitness element coming later. The results have been really good and we are looking strong as a group.

Little Guy - What is the standard of play like in the RFU championship? Would you say the gap is narrowing between it and the Premiership or widening?

Chris Pennell - I was surprised with some of the teams in the Championship. The standard of rugby is very high and I feel the top 5 teams would compete against the lower teams in the Premiership. Where the gap is widening would be at the bottom of the Championship. The smaller clubs struggle financially and so cannot compete with the top teams. I do however think the style of rugby played across the entire Championship is superb and I think more people should get down to support the teams.

Little Guy - What are Worcester's goals for this season? Is staying up the main goal or are you striving for a mid-table finish?

Chris Pennell - Our goals are all internal. We will be focussing on ourselves and getting our game right instead of worrying about any external influences. If we can say we are performing to the best of our ability in each area, the results and league standings will take care of themselves.

Seanoc - Who is the toughest player you have ever played against in your professional career so far?

Chris Pennell - This would be Jeff Makapelu from Bucharesti Oaks. Relatively unknown but incredibly abrasive and physical.

Bristol-iain - Do Worcester feel like you were ignored in your season in the Championship and suddenly wanted again now you have gained promotion?

Chris Pennell - To a certain extent it is expected that you lose media interest and some sponsors will move on. However, many of our sponsors showed tremendous faith along with our supporters so the dent wasn't noticed as much as it could have been.

Bristol-iain - Do you subscribe to the inspire through what you say or by what you do on the pitch approach of your captaincy?

Chris Pennell - I feel to be a good captain you must lead by your actions. For me this applies off the pitch as much as it does on it. If you earn respect through your actions then your words become more powerful as a result.

Bristol-iain - Based on who you faced last year, which other Championship side would you pick for promotion?

Chris Pennell - It is a two horse race between Bedford and the Pirates.

Bristol-iain - Did you feel the playoffs added to the season or would you just prefer to have the league winner to get promoted?

Chris Pennell - I think the playoff system is very exciting for the spectator. I would have loved to have promotion secured simply from winning the league but we definitely earned it in the end!

M Two One - do you have any pre-match rituals alone or with your teammates?

Chris Pennell - I am not very superstitious to be honest, but I do like a good night's sleep before a game. As a team we all have our individual preparations but we stay tight and together as much as possible on a match day.

DaveyG - What interests do you have outside of playing rugby Chris?

Chris Pennell - I enjoy the odd round of golf. I like to do a bit of DIY, which seems to have a never-ending list of projects… I also enjoy going to the movies and spending time with my family.

Bronson - What was it like learning from Chris Latham?

Chris Pennell - It was a fantastic opportunity to learn from the best. Chris was very encouraging and has helped me with many aspects of my game.

Bronson - Why do all of you keep tweeting about Nandos Worcester?

Chris Pennell - Nandos is a bit of an institution for the rugby boys! We know the staff well and they look after us when we visit. They have supported us over the years and we all like chicken!!

Big Ginger 8 - As a captain, do you concentrate more on your own game or the team? Do you write speeches beforehand or say what comes into your head?

Chris Pennell - I will focus on both my own and the teams performance. There is a lot of work that goes on in the week in order to prepare, so by game day, the boys need very little reminder about what it is they need to do. When I speak to the guys before the match I say what I feel right at the time. The other leaders in the group will have said their piece and I will have the final word before we go out to play.

TRF_Getofmeland – With the Premiership just around the corner, who do you think will be the surprise team of the Premiership?

Chris Pennell - I think that it is tough to call at this stage. There have been a lot of changes throughout most clubs so I think it will be an exciting season! That said I think we will surprise a few teams this year!

TRF_Getofmeland – Is there anyone within the Worcester Ranks we should be keeping an eye on?

Chris Pennell - We have got some exceptional home-grown talent coming through in Andy Short, Mat Kvesic and Jonny Arr. The longer servers like Alex Grove, Mat Mullan, Miles Benjamin and Marcel Garvey will be putting their hands up for international honours. There's a few of new guys too who look pretty exciting!

TRF_Getofmeland - What's your favourite ground apart from the Sixway's?

Chris Pennell - I am a big fan Welford road and Franklin's Gardens but the best stadium I have played in has to be Wembley!

TRF_Getofmeland – Finally what are your predictions for this year's Rugby World Cup?

Chris Pennell - I think England will compete well but I can't see anyone beating the All Blacks this time round. The trophy will probably stay in New Zealand after the tournament.

Thank you to Chris Pennell, Worcester Warriors (http://www.worcesterwarriors.co.uk) and Big Red Management (http://www.bigredmanagement.com) for this Interview

I forgot about this one in the build up to the RWC, great interview, loved the response to my question on the standard of play in the RFU Championship. Great stuff Chris

Latest posts