• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Christmas No. 1

B

Bullitt

For once this year it may not be the usual "Simon Cowell makes money as X-factor winners take coveted ***le" as a challenger appears... In the shape of a 17 year old pre-grunge rock tune "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against The Machine and an almighty facebook campaign so far attracting over 600,000 members! (Group here)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDSd_ISwgHM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDSd_ISwgHM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Catching attention left, right and centre, even the over-moneyed arse bandit himself has shown that he's nervous about it here, labelling the movement as "Stupid" and "Unfair to the X-factor trio" as though it's their divine right to reach the top of the charts.

So, does this mean the public finally take back the charts from the record companies or will we find out that 2009 was indeed the year the music died?

Still, for one I'm actually interested in this years hit parade!

Are you going to buy it Mite? Would love to see it #1, can't wait to turn on the radio on the 25th and hear " f*** you I won't do what you tell me!" again and again. B)

I'll be buying it

Come on RATM.
:bravo: :bravo:
:bananarock: :bananarock:

I'm a member of the Rage group from a week or so ago but I haven't bought the single. Why? because I've had the album for ages and buying singles went out of fashion in the last millenium.

There's also a group for that Journey song that's on rotation in every pub and club along with mozzletoff and every other shite BEP/ TI/ NDubz/ Tinchy/ FloRida tune going. I'm sick of them and I'm sick of X factor.

Why is there not a facebook group suggesting people just boycott the charts because without fail, Christmas number 1 is always a piece of crap?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 13 2009, 03:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm a member of the Rage group from a week or so ago but I haven't bought the single. Why? because I've had the album for ages and buying singles went out of fashion in the last millenium.

There's also a group for that Journey song that's on rotation in every pub and club along with mozzletoff and every other shite BEP/ TI/ NDubz/ Tinchy/ FloRida tune going. I'm sick of them and I'm sick of X factor.

Why is there not a facebook group suggesting people just boycott the charts because without fail, Christmas number 1 is always a piece of crap?[/b]

You don't get it then. The music industry is so corrupt it makes the RFU look fair, record companies buying back singles to manipulate the charts and influence the opinions of the Chris Moyles demographic being a well known fact.

A good example is when Elton John re-released "candle in the Wind" after Diana passed... That track went famously straight in at number 1 as people were for weeks and weeks buying copies. So feverishly were people buying it for months afterwards that it should have remained at number 1 for the rest of the year. Conveniently however, as soon at the Spice Girls released their single it went to the top of the hit parade. Despite the lines of customers still buying Candle in the Wind and nobody doing the same for the 5 whores, it magically "sold" more copies. Then an interview came out when GingerWhore was quotes saying "We put our single back a couple of weeks to give Elton a bit more time at the top".

Very magnanimous that.

The only way to change these things is to go out and do something about it. And unlile the other facebook campaigns for Journey & the rest, this one has MASSIVE support, people talking about it in pubs and clubs, the media making publications about it and it's actually known. You go on Google and search for Rage Against the Machine Christmas and there's page-after-page of articles on it. Journey/N-dubz/Jewish Christmas etc. don't.

I'm going to buy it before the week is out, hopefully it can get as close as/do better than Jeff Buckley last year

Am I the only one who thinks the charts are no longer indicative of what is good or bad?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 13 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Am I the only one who thinks the charts are no longer indicative of what is good or bad?[/b]

That's the whole point of this campaign. I'm certainly supporting it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 13 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For once this year it may not be the usual "Simon Cowell makes money as X-factor winners take coveted ***le" as a challenger appears... In the shape of a 17 year old pre-grunge rock tune "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against The Machine and an almighty facebook campaign so far attracting over 600,000 members! (Group here)

Catching attention left, right and centre, even the over-moneyed arse bandit himself has shown that he's nervous about it here, labelling the movement as "Stupid" and "Unfair to the X-factor trio" as though it's their divine right to reach the top of the charts.

So, does this mean the public finally take back the charts from the record companies or will we find out that 2009 was indeed the year the music died?

Still, for one I'm actually interested in this years hit parade![/b]

Grunge kicked off in the mid to late 80s and was commercially successfull at the start of till the middle of the 90s....RATHM's first album was released in 92 (or 91?). It ain't pre-grunge...and that is a Fact of Rugby.

Grunge from the mid-80s was about as close to the sound of the successful acts like Nirvana and Perl Jam as Run DMC vs Aerosmith was to Linkin Park and or Limp Bizkit in rap-rock. Stop splitting hairs!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 13 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Grunge from the mid-80s was about as close to the sound of the successful acts like Nirvana and Perl Jam as Run DMC vs Aerosmith was to Linkin Park and or Limp Bizkit in rap-rock. Stop splitting hairs![/b]

I'll splir all the hairs I want....and even if it's only the second wave grunge you speak of... Ten and Nevermind were both released before RATM first album.

And Alice in Chains and Soundgarden hade been about since the 80s.

More Facts of Rugby.

True, but Alice in Chains always remained a band with a cult following and not much more and Soundgarden only had one hit in "Black Hole Sun".

You fcould argue that Oasis had been going for many years before 1994 when "Supersonic" was released... Playing to 18 ****** bikers and a whippet in seedy Manchester bars hardly count though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 13 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
True, but Alice in Chains always remained a band with a cult following and not much more and Soundgarden only had one hit in "Black Hole Sun".

You fcould argue that Oasis had been going for many years before 1994 when "Supersonic" was released... Playing to 18 ****** bikers and a whippet in seedy Manchester bars hardly count though.[/b]

How many hit's you had doesn't sum up what part you had in a a genre/scene/history. Look at the Velvet Underground.

Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana and Pearl Jam were called the big 4 for a reason.

Regardless, the point I was making was pre-grunge in a charts context (when rock first made it onto the radio for the 1st time since the NWOBHM).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 13 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mite isn't losing an argument, is he?[/b]

No.

Latest posts