Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
I may be giving many members of the forum a stick to beat me with but I remain a fan- with the clear point his tackling was very weak last year (but that's hardly unheard of for a 10)

Who else is a fan and who thinks he should never wear the white shirt again?

I'm a massive fan of Cipriani.

I just posted in the Farrell thread about him but basically:
I'd be very surprised if he played for England again. With Flood and Farrell in the EPS, Burns in the Saxons and then Ford in the U20s, he'll have a massive mountain to climb to get back in to contention.

He's easily the most talented 10 England have had for years. None of the recent 10s could have scored that try he scored against the Sharks. His tackling isn't that bad, but he seems to go walkabout sometimes during games. The Rebels have potential to do OK this year, with O Connor & Beale on board, so who knows it could be an opportunity for Cipriani to shine. Some of the negative press he gets seems a bit unfair - you compare his naughtiness to that of Zac Guildford - getting drunk, dancing on a podium naked in a nightclub, then punching a 65 year old man in the head for no reason. And he's still in the All Blacks squad!

Last edited:
I'm a massive fan of Cipriani.

I just posted in the Farrell thread about him but basically:
I'd be very surprised if he played for England again. With Flood and Farrell in the EPS, Burns in the Saxons and then Ford in the U20s, he'll have a massive mountain to climb to get back in to contention.

I would not be surprised if Cipriani returns to England in 2-3 years. And if he does improve his defense I see no reason that he shouldn't be given an opportunity at 10. Flood is an answer to Wilkinson in that he promotes an open and attacking style of rugby- but in my opinion Cipriani has far more natural potential at fly-half than Flood has shown in a few years at first receiver for England.

On form I would love to see a back line of:

9. Youngs (if he ever recovers)
10. Cipriani
11. Wade
12. Farrell (the anchor)
13. Tuilagi
14. Sharples
15. Foden

However, this is more brainless optimism than anything else :lol:

I had to check how old he was and he is only 24. It seems like he has been about for a very long time. He is no doubt talented and he is still pretty young. I am pretty much a fan and do see him as going down the what could have been road.

As has been said the problem he has is other players coming up or being as good as what he is. I guess if he has a storming season that you could not rule him out.
I also think he does not sit well with the old boy network at the RFU . Who still believe rugby players should only do after dinner speaking and retire to gentlemans clubs. Given the party hard related bad press surrounding England, I do not think they would risk putting him near an England shirt unless he started performing miracles.

I saw an article linking him to Sale the other day. I think he can still play for England but it's a long road ahead. I can see him coming back to Wasps.

I saw an article linking him to Sale the other day. I think he can still play for England but it's a long road ahead. I can see him coming back to Wasps.

On a slightly unrelated note is Haskell confirmed to be returning to Wasps or just a rumour?

I would not be surprised if Cipriani returns to England in 2-3 years. And if he does improve his defense I see no reason that he shouldn't be given an opportunity at 10. Flood is an answer to Wilkinson in that he promotes an open and attacking style of rugby- but in my opinion Cipriani has far more natural potential at fly-half than Flood has shown in a few years at first receiver for England.

On form I would love to see a back line of:

9. Youngs (if he ever recovers)
10. Cipriani
11. Wade
12. Farrell (the anchor)
13. Tuilagi
14. Sharples
15. Foden

However, this is more brainless optimism than anything else :lol:

The reason the current backline stinks is because of Youngs and Farrell. Slow service (when Harry Ellis mk 2 isnt just running up blind alleys) then daddies boy hoofs it away.

Cipriani could be lethal with the right players around him, but he needs the good service from a passing 9 - Dickson, Hodgson etc - then have a big lump of tough ******* covering the inside channel for when number 8s eye running him over. Sad for him (and England) that Lewsey had to get old.

Edited for typos

Last edited:
I may be giving many members of the forum a stick to beat me with but I remain a fan- with the clear point his tackling was very weak last year (but that's hardly unheard of for a 10)

Who else is a fan and who thinks he should never wear the white shirt again?

The problem with this - as mentioned in the Farrell thread - is that its not down to physicality, but fortitude.

He's certainly not lacking, physcially, but just doesn't seem to have the stomach for the fight. Again, as mentioned, George Ford, young and physically-lacking, doesn't seem to shirk his responsibilities.

Cipriani is a mercurial talent, with cracking pace for a 10. But can he inspire those around him, be a player that others want to play for? Considering that the questionable behaviour of a few members of the squad, do we need another?

And the fact that the ABs have failed to act properly regarding Guildford's behaviour has no bearing on the high standards that the English team should be held to.

Apparently he's really well liked at Rebels.

Can't wait to see him and O'Connor link up, it's going to be immense.
Hopefully his shirking-the-tackling will be/has been coached out of him.
Time will tell, I suppose

Last edited:
Think he'll be playing 12.
He's said in interviews he wants to be at either 10 or 12, equally happy at either. He did say he was looking to playing alongside Cipriani as well, so that'd put him at 12.

With Cipriani, JOC, Mortlock and Beal in the same side they're never going to be short on kicking options.

still was banned like three times last season for drinking, disobeyed curfews etc

I have more hope for Cipriani maturing and becoming a very good player than Henson who I have given up on, I saw Henson's Twitter page recently, his profile picture was that stupid kid off the X Factor and he was tweeting people from reality tv shows like that one about Essex ... it's obvious his heart lies with trash TV not with rugby

Cipriani had too many of the media telling he was too good too early in his career, and got too arrogant, but at least he still seems to want to play rugby rather than spend his time on Channel 5 crap

Started a lot sooner than that. Was a few years above him at school and he had just about every teacher braying about how good he was. Yes, he was way ahead of the curve as far as 15 year flyhalves go, but there was no need for him to work his a$$ off on the field and it seems that this hasn't quite left him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...-in-his-own-mind/story-e6frf96o-1226237736187

tbh, taking this with a pinch of salt. A Pom coming down to be the figurehead for a new franchise was never going to rub well with the Australian press, but hopefully the likes of Connor and Beale can detract from him. Either that or make quite the trio for hitting the various Super15 towns.

High hopes, but quite the propensity to find himself in the gossip pages in the rags. As soon as any sportsman has more column inches there than in the sports section, i'm sceptical as to where their priorities lie.

Has the potential to be THE NH 10 but probably due to how easy he has found the game from an early age he has found the importance of a work ethic probably too late.

Henson was and still is a huge under-achiever but even though he never got anywhere near his potential (due to his poor attitude) he will retire having been a very important facet of two grandslams as well as a lions tour.

Would be very surprised if Cipriani retires with accolades to match.

Has the potential to be THE NH 10 but probably due to how easy he has found the game from an early age he has found the importance of a work ethic probably too late.

Henson was and still is a huge under-achiever but even though he never got anywhere near his potential (due to his poor attitude) he will retire having been a very important facet of two grandslams as well as a lions tour.

Would be very surprised if Cipriani retires with accolades to match.

Oh I don't know about that. The guy has talent, but so do Trinh-Duc, Sexton and Priestland. England have some of their own 10's emerging with massive potential too.

still was banned like three times last season for drinking, disobeyed curfews etc

I have more hope for Cipriani maturing and becoming a very good player than Henson who I have given up on, I saw Henson's Twitter page recently, his profile picture was that stupid kid off the X Factor and he was tweeting people from reality tv shows like that one about Essex ... it's obvious his heart lies with trash TV not with rugby

Cipriani had too many of the media telling he was too good too early in his career, and got too arrogant, but at least he still seems to want to play rugby rather than spend his time on Channel 5 crap

Bit harsh when he doesn't even have a twitter account. Its fake...

Think he'll be playing 12.
He's said in interviews he wants to be at either 10 or 12, equally happy at either. He did say he was looking to playing alongside Cipriani as well, so that'd put him at 12.

With Cipriani, JOC, Mortlock and Beal in the same side they're never going to be short on kicking options.

JOC will be playing 12- Been watching the Rebels training camp/keeping up with news. Interesting, I wonder who will start with the kicking duties. Gut instinct would be O'Connor but Cipriani actually had a great season with the boot IIRC

JOC will be playing 12- Been watching the Rebels training camp/keeping up with news. Interesting, I wonder who will start with the kicking duties. Gut instinct would be O'Connor but Cipriani actually had a great season with the boot IIRC

Ok, but not great. He kicked 29/44 (66%), compared to O'Connors 54/76 (71%) and Beales 59/82 (72%)*. I expect O'Connor will be doing the kicking this season, but Beale and Cipriani are handy alternatives.

*All stats courtesy of the fantasy rugby game at www.foxsports.com.au

Ok, but not great. He kicked 29/44 (66%), compared to O'Connors 54/76 (71%) and Beales 59/82 (72%)*. I expect O'Connor will be doing the kicking this season, but Beale and Cipriani are handy alternatives.

*All stats courtesy of the fantasy rugby game at www.foxsports.com.au

Just my imagination then :lol: the game winning kick for their first win is permanently etched into my brain

In the interview I saw JOC said they'll be constantly having kicking comps, and whoever wins the comp will take the kicks.

Latest posts