Cipriani's England Future?

• No chance

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Strong potential

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No time soon

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
In the interview I saw JOC said they'll be constantly having kicking comps, and whoever wins the comp will take the kicks.

Not the way I would do it. I think you should have a well defined order in terms of kickers. It only damages confidence to be taking kicking duties off guys constantly. If you have a set order it'll help calm your front liner and could drive on the guys in reserve. Works for us anyway.

Not the way I would do it. I think you should have a well defined order in terms of kickers. It only damages confidence to be taking kicking duties off guys constantly. If you have a set order it'll help calm your front liner and could drive on the guys in reserve. Works for us anyway.

It's how the Australian national team have done in recent years. (According to JO'Cs twitter anyway)

Scotland 2009?

Doesn't mean they're good. The Wallabies kicker are incredibly inconsistent. For example Cooper usually nails kicks from out on the right touchline; considered one of the toughest kicks for a right footer but will then miss from not to far out straight in front. O'Connor and Beale both seem to hinge on their first kick as well. The same way Sexton did for a season or so.

Clearly, Cipriani fancies his chances back in the UK. Fortunately, he'll be a little too far for his regular jollies to Chinawhite.

No doubt Cipriani is the most naturally gifted fly half England have at the moment.
Would love to see him go to Wasps with Palmer and Haskell, if not to drag Wasps out of their current chasm than anything else.
Unfortunately for Cipriani Flood, Farrell, Burns and Ford are ahead of him.
Will be a great domestic player but will need the aboves form to be bad and a few injuries to hit as well as his form being nothing short of outstanding to get back in the squad. Having said that I have always wanted him in the squad, unreal talent.

Hes most likely going to Sale, the Telegraph had an article the other day saying its pretty much a done deal.
Also i can't see how Ford is ahead of him? It will be another 2/3 years before you see Ford anywhere near an England shirt im afraid.

Hes most likely going to Sale, the Telegraph had an article the other day saying its pretty much a done deal.
Also i can't see how Ford is ahead of him? It will be another 2/3 years before you see Ford anywhere near an England shirt im afraid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/9250944.stm

By virtue of this ruling, Ford is fundamentally ahead of Cipriani in the England stakes.

Bear in mind that not many people - myself included - envisaged Cipriani coming back to these shores for a year or two, which could well be ample time for Ford to progress from the U20 setup. If you've ever spent time watching him play you'll understand why, as the youngest player at the tournament, he was voted the IRB young player of the year.

Stuart Barnes & Dewi Morris were talking about this on SSN earlier and they reckon there is no way Cipriani is going anywhere other than a London based club.

Strange... not as if him being london based has been a pre-requisite for him lately, been on the other side of the planet.

Can Cipriani make a Lazarus like return to England's number 10 jersey? Yes.
Will he make a Lazarus like return to England's number 10 jersey? It all depends on which direction his career takes over the next two years.
Firstly he needs to have a cracking season for the Meloburne Rebels. That will drive his stocks up back in the motherland and get him a contract with a premiership team. His current contract with the Rebels runs out in July at the end of the Super Rugby season and I would expect him to return to England if someone will have him. Cipriani playing in England is vital to his hopes of returning to the national squad.
He would then have to have a blinder of a season for his new premiership club (likely to be Sale apparently).
I think he is a better fly-half than Flood and that Farrell is more of a 12 than a 10. If he returns to England when I suggest then he will only be 25 so not so old England are likely to go with a youth policy and overlook him for Ford. Ford is also unlikely to get enough game time to stake his claim if he remains at Leicester, due to the presence of Flood.
This would require a lot of work on Danny's behalf, especially on his defense, but I don't think this is beyond him.
What may be beyond him is staying out of trouble (thus out of the tabloids). If he gets suspended this year for off field indiscretions as he did last year then the Rebels will move O'Connor or Beale there and he may not be able to make his way back into the squad. His chances of getting a premiership contract are also likely to become very slim should this scenario occur.

JOC will be playing 12- Been watching the Rebels training camp/keeping up with news. Interesting, I wonder who will start with the kicking duties. Gut instinct would be O'Connor but Cipriani actually had a great season with the boot IIRC

O'Connor will take the kicks at goal. He is the Wallabies kicker and he has been kicking in all their trials. Might give Cipriani a chance to learn to tackle.

Latest posts