• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cipriani ruled out for six months

C

Cymro

Danny Cipriani will miss England's tour of New Zealand after Wasps confirmed he will out for six months with a fracture dislocation of his right ankle.

_44667891_cip_getty_466.jpg

The 20-year-old fly-half suffered the injury during Wasps' semi-final play-off victory over Bath on Sunday.

Cipriani was tackled by Olly Barkley and got trapped at the bottom of a ruck in the 49th minute at Adams Park.

He needed oxygen on the pitch before being taken to hospital, where he underwent surgery on his ankle.

The Londoners also saw winger Tom Voyce taken to hospital after he suffered a dislocated shoulder, which medical staff were unable to put back in.

Cipriani will remain under observation in London's Lister Hospital for the next couple of days while Voyce is expected to be discharged later on Monday.

"When you watch two players being led into an ambulance it certainly takes the edge off a win," director of rugby Ian McGeechan told BBC Radio 5 Live after Wasps' 21-10 victory.

"It would have been great to see him playing in a final but from our point of view he will have the summer to recover and we have to make sure we do everything to get him right for next season."

While Cipriani will definitely miss England's summer tour to New Zealand, he is also a major doubt for the home autumn internationals against Australia, world champions South Africa and the All Blacks - which begin with a clash against the Wallabies at Twickenham on 15 November.

With Jonny Wilkinson also missing the tour after undergoing shoulder surgery, Charlie Hodgson is the only other recognised fly-half currently in the squad, although Barkley - also included - played there for England during the World Cup.

Cipriani's unavailability could see a call-up from the England Saxons squad for Gloucester's Ryan Lamb.

England team manager Martin Johnson was present at Adams Park on Sunday and confirmed Cipriani's replacement would be named on Tuesday.

He said: "On behalf of the England summer tour squad we all feel for Danny over the injury he suffered on Sunday.

"The England medical team will be in regular contact with London Wasps over the next few months regarding his rehabilitation and we all wish Danny a speedy recovery.

"I will discuss with Rob Andrew and the coaches the candidates to replace Danny on the summer tour and we will make an announcement tomorrow (Tuesday)."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ish/7407257.stm

Feel for the lad, 7 months ago it was me on the floor and being told ive dislocated the ankle and broken the fibula.

If it was just a brake he would be back in 6 weeks time, but the fact hes ruptured all the ligaments down there means he is spending the best part of 4 month having to re-learn to walk, run etc!!!

Best of luck Danny !!!

Charlie Hodgson has been on form from what I've seen lately, Barkley has been impressive at inside center, good elusive running, he could maybe operate at 10. I think it was Dewi on the rugby club that made the comment that the AB's will have a weakness at inside center, I think it'd be wise considering his recent form to keep him there.
Ryan Lamb had a good game, but I think he need more nurturing before he comes up to full international level.
I think a new spot on the England roster should allow for another utility back to come in, maybe even Richard Haughton or Ben Foden, who can operate at scrum half, wing or fullback respectively. Unless Johnno is a big fan of Shane Gehrety.

Geherety is apparently out over the summer, my choice would be Flood at his point for the new 10.

However, knowing rob Andrew and the RFU, it'll be Hodgson or Goode. And they'll proberbly take Wilkinson along "just in case". <_<

Aye, Goode could be a good idea...he's a little hit or miss.
[/b]

Am gutted for Danny and the rest of the team. This is not what MJ needs for his first tour in charge.

Goode, well what can I say about him? Looks like a Munster playing Hooker. I honestly don't rate him at all. I would like to see Ryan Lamb or Geraghty if I am honest.

I had completely forgotten Flood at 10. He does such a good job at 12.

I really hope he will be able to come back on the pitch and show us his immense talent again....

6 months out...maybe more....but he's strong and he will complete recover from this bad injury.

Good Luck Magic Danny !!!

Not Charlie.... Being selfish, I dont want his confidence massacred playing for England again, his nerve just doesn't stand upto international rugby. A good Premiership player is what he is, leave him to be that.

Use some youngster's with something to prove.

Just saw the video on Youtube. You could hear the poor bugger crying out iin pain.

Just saw the video on Youtube. You could hear the poor bugger crying out iin pain. [/b]

I dont think it was neccessarily down to pain.. i think some might have been but if you watch it at first when it happens he just sits there an realizes something is bad, if it hurt really f***ing bad he woulda as soon as it happened and you would have heard it via the ref.. however i think he screamed because he was ****** off with what happened. I mean i remember when i broke my arm and it was right before a big baseball tryout and rugby season and it didnt hurt but i screamed so f***in loud when i knew what was wrong, just a genearl f***!! but still i think thats how he sort of is, he realized he is now gonna miss out on the final, the summer tests etc and its just an overall bad feeling, of course it coudl be down to the pain as well but i guess he will be the only one who knows.

hopefully he returns soon, because of him i actually have begun to enjoy watching the GP

<div class='quotemain'> Just saw the video on Youtube. You could hear the poor bugger crying out iin pain. [/b]

I dont think it was neccessarily down to pain.. i think some might have been but if you watch it at first when it happens he just sits there an realizes something is bad, if it hurt really f***ing bad he woulda as soon as it happened and you would have heard it via the ref.. however i think he screamed because he was ****** off with what happened. I mean i remember when i broke my arm and it was right before a big baseball tryout and rugby season and it didnt hurt but i screamed so f***in loud when i knew what was wrong, just a genearl f***!! but still i think thats how he sort of is, he realized he is now gonna miss out on the final, the summer tests etc and its just an overall bad feeling, of course it coudl be down to the pain as well but i guess he will be the only one who knows.

hopefully he returns soon, because of him i actually have begun to enjoy watching the GP
[/b][/quote]

Unfortunatly I have to disagree!

He started screaming as soon as he looked down and saw what was wrong with his leg. Im talking from my point of view because this exact injury was what i had 7 months ago.
His biggest mistake was looking down and looking at the leg because this sent him into shock!

How come they needed to administer oxygen to him? [/b]

According to Wiki

Shock is a serious, life-threatening medical condition where insufficient blood flow reaches the body tissues. As the blood carries oxygen and nutrients around the body, reduced flow hinders the delivery of these components to the tissues, and can stop the tissues from functioning properly. The process of blood entering the tissues is called perfusion, so when perfusion is not occurring properly this is called a hypoperfusional (hypo = below) state.

Medical shock should not be confused with the emotional state of shock, as the two are not related. Medical shock is a life-threatening medical emergency and one of the most common causes of death for critically-ill people. Shock can have a variety of effects, all with similar outcomes, but all relate to a problem with the body's circulatory system. For example, shock may lead to hypoxia (a lack of oxygen in the body tissues) or cardiac arrest (the heart stopping).[/b]

Painful injury by the sounds on the TV...

I was amased that Ryan Lamb wasn't called up. I know he's not played for England yet, but he's an amazingly skillful player. His defence is so much better than Cips.

What i don't get is why they decided to add in another centre - either we didn't have cover there, in which case we should have taken more centres, or he doesn't trust any other 10's, in which case we're f**ked as a team...

have they called anyone extra up? i would put hodgson on at no 10 with barkley there to take the kicks and negate the chace of hodgsons confidence colapsing.
wilko is getting surgery (again) and goode isn't on in the squad. (i don't think he's even in the saxsons)
flood can cover 10 as can barkley.

horrible injury to danny worst time possible as well, just as he was really making his mark. hope him all the best with a speedy recovery and that it doesn't affect his confidece.

Painful injury by the sounds on the TV...

I was amased that Ryan Lamb wasn't called up. I know he's not played for England yet, but he's an amazingly skillful player. His defence is so much better than Cips.

What i don't get is why they decided to add in another centre - either we didn't have cover there, in which case we should have taken more centres, or he doesn't trust any other 10's, in which case we're f**ked as a team...
[/b]
Lambs defence better than Cipriani?? You my lad dont know ****!

Latest posts