• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cipriani still holds Lions dream

S

Steve-o

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/03/10/cipriani-s...ds-lions-dream/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Wasps flyhalf Danny Cipriani hopes to represent the Lions later this year, despite not featuring for his country in the Six Nations.

The 21-year-old was the most-talked about player in English rugby last season, but his international career has faltered over recent months having struggled with injury and a dip in form.

After being thrust back into the England scene shortly after recovering from a horrendous ankle injury last year, Cipriani was dropped for the final November international against New Zealand and hasn’t played for the national side since.

With Martin Johnson choosing not to include Cipriani for the games against Italy, Wales and Ireland, the youngster has been performing well for his club Wasps.

Although helping Wasps climb the English Premiership league table is Cipriani’s main goal right now, he still hopes that he could yet earn a place in the Lions’ touring squad.

“I’ve felt really good in my last four games,†said Cipriani. “A lot of responsibility has been put on me to lead the side and I feel I’ve played a good hand.

“I’m feeling good, I’m feeling strong. I felt I was back to my best a couple of games ago.

“If I’m playing well and they [England] want to pick me that’s great. For me it’s just about playing well for Wasps and hopefully it will happen from there. If I’m playing the best in the country at 10 then hopefully I’ll get picked.

“Is it possible to make the Lions without playing for England first? If I’m performing as well as I can do then I’d like to think so.â€[/b]

Oh yes please! Send him over! Spies, Smith and Burger will delightfully tear down Cipriani's channel all day.

Not playing well for Wasps; won't be picked for England; Lions spot very unlikely.

On the other hand McGeechan and Edwards (two members of the Wasps staff) are in the Lions set-up so that raises his chances a lot.
In my opinion, he's not good enough on current form. In fact, he's not good enough for England and not even for Wasps (what happened to Walder? He was doing well when he was there) and it's clear that he's not completely recovered from his injury.
Sure, last season at domestic level he was utterly superb, and he was immense against Ireland. Though let's face it, Ireland was crap last year, and it was hardly a good standard of opposition to judge his ability by.
If he played like that against the SH teams or one of Wales, France or Ireland on current form, then maybe he'd deserve a spot. Frankly, he's proven very little over the past year (nothing at all since his injury as a matter of fact) and his talent has been typically and depressingly overhyped by the British media.
If sense prevails, no English fly-half will be touring.

That incident with Catt sums up Cips IMO, cocky little prick. God I hope he doesn't go on the Lions tour.

I have a horrible feeling he will go as a "wildcard", because he offers something different from Jones and O'Gara.

You're forgetting that Wilkinson will conveniently be fit just in time for the Lions tour. The media will have exhausted all they can say about Cipriani by then and want to call for another English <strike>automatic first choice</strike> "wild-card" player by then...

Cynical? Moi?

Hopefully the 3 fly halves will be Jones, O'Gara and Hook.
Jones as the test starter and O'Gara on the bench, and we can all pray he isn't called on under pressure. We'll see how Hooky does on Saturday, but I'd take him over Cipriani any day. <<<< Shocker.

Im pretty worried about our lack of class for this lions tour. Only about 3-4 players currently pick themselves in the starting 15 and that spells disaster. If Jones,O`Gara and Hook are our choice at 10 it really sums up the lack of strength in British rugby at the moment. This isnt saying Cipriani on current form would be any better as he is unpickable atm but we are going to be up against the World Champions with a seriously sub-standard team.

But we have 'world-class' in some positions..You can't have a world class XV, the reason some of them don't pick themselves, is because of the competion for places

O`Driscoll, O`Connell, Shane Williams(on last years form) and perhaps Lee Byrne could be called world class but the rest unfortunatly are just the best of a bad bunch. It isnt competition for this lions tour its no options. The fact that Cipriani is even being considered for this tour sums it up.

Plus, as of late, you can never tell how O'Driscoll will play.

Though he has looked good for Ireland in the Six Nations.

Cipriani is a streaky player at domestic level.. when he's good, he's on fire and when he's bad he's awful, and is just not ready for senior test rugby.. and nowhere near a Lions Tour atm.

He has become petulant and arrogant to say the least and needs to mature. In a few years time after he has nearly imploded his career, i would tip him to return and develop into a key test player who will know the value of being reliable and confident in a team, rather than an immature upstart.

Talent is not enough, professionalism and wisdom amplifies it. At the moment, he has neither of the latter.

I don't know, I think he could end up going if he you know...plays better at Wasps, I think it's kind of harsh to drop him to the Saxons...but I guess it's best not to rush it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Mar 12 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Plus, as of late, you can never tell how O'Driscoll will play.

Though he has looked good for Ireland in the Six Nations.[/b]
nope hes been pretty much awesome all season. just because he doesnt get ten line breaks a game doesnt mean he aint playing well. the telling thing about drico is even if he doesnt appear to be playing well if you were to take him out of the team you would notice a huge difference

Latest posts