• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CJ Stander to retire at the end of the season

Well that's a bit of a shock. Although his style of play can't be easy on the body at all. Fair play to him going out I his own terms I guess.

Wonder will his last game be the final Lions test?

That's a shock, especially when it seems like he's back on the top of his game. I can understand him wanting to raise his daughter back in his native SA but I'm a bit surprised he will not end up playing for one the teams there.

He has fully built a life outside the game and mixed with issues personally it is the right call.
Not many can say they going out on a high.

Jesus devastating news to lose a player like that, especially for Munster. Seems a bizarre decision, but one you have to respect.

Jesus devastating news to lose a player like that, especially for Munster. Seems a bizarre decision, but one you have to respect.
Think it more to do with Family and exactly to not just try be a pro at home but walk away from the game you need to respect andlove 100%

So he did. Personally I think it's an upgrade but losing a player like Stander is never a good thing I suppose.
Not at all, I fully expected him to be in the 23 for the world cup. Very few players get to a level where they're liked universally by fans in Ireland and CJ was for a reason, gave his all and worked selflessly, at his best one of the most destructive players in the sport and never had the slightest issues with discipline.

He didn't want to bring up the fam in sunny Ireland then? Or at least the Mrs didn't.
CJ's family own huge farm in SA. He goes on about it frequently and with his dad slowing down it was always his dream to continue the family business. He never shied away from that once. Jean Marie is South African also and with their parents getting older it is understandable they want their daughter to get to pend any time that she can with them both.

CJ's family own huge farm in SA. He goes on about it frequently and with his dad slowing down it was always his dream to continue the family business. He never shied away from that once. Jean Marie is South African also and with their parents getting older it is understandable they want their daughter to get to pend any time that she can with them both.

Can't knock a man for doing the right thing for his family for sure. Didn't know that about the farm.

This is too quiet.

I understand, but i hope you also understand how this comes across.
Some, if not many here, have argued countless times about how Irish he was/felt. The fact remains he move to Ireland when he couldn't make it to the Springboks and he goes back to RSA when he stops playing rugby. Sugarcoat it the way you want. Family or not, farm or not.
It looks bad.
If i were to cherry-pick one example of how the system 'failed', it would be his. He couldn't give a flying turd about Ireland before he wasn't selected for RSA and the minute he stops playing he wants to go back? To be with is family and raise his kids? If that is not what 'home' stands for i don't know what is. Having a home, being eligible to play for that place and playing for another doesn't sound right. I know here is probably where we disagree.
'Would you rather sit out and play for no national team then? ' Yes, absolutely.

Let me be clear about this: this is not a jab at him, but at the system that allows him to do this.
"Dont hate the player, hate the game". I this aspect, i hate the game. Just using his example to elaborate on why.
I actually like him quite a bit. Despite his achievements i still think he is underrated. Monster of a player and every single time I've heard him talk he came across as a reasonable, passionate and humorous guy.

Latest posts