• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Club Call

B

bristol-iain

Today Leeds Rhinos will make Rugby League history, but not in a good way. They will be allowed to pick who they play in the Playoff semi-finals. They will choose between;

St Helens
Catalan Dragons
Wigan

So in effect, assuming Leeds pick an easier opponent in Wigan and Catalan, the RFL or whoever they are called, have totally ruined the chance of a new champion. Its jaw droppingly stupid, whats wrong with a normal draw like in all other sports. At least that way if Leeds do get Wigan or Catalan they got them b lck and not by their choosing.

To be fair to Leeds they themselves have aired their dissapointment with the system, Lee Peacock branding it "a gimmick too far".

I hope Leeds do pick St Helens as that will be an epically good game and that if they don't the likleyhood is they will play them in the Final anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 27 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apparently they've chosen Catalans. Reaction?[/b]

Not surprised at all.

They seem to have gone for the easier game and wussed out imo. That said this Catalans outfit is a very decent team and will be hard to beat. I think Leeds, especially after dismissing the idea, would have won a lot of respect by picking St Helens as opposed to the others. Quote from Leeds coach "We looked at the lowest-ranked team coming through".

Plus how would you feel as a Catalan fan/player/officail now, being chosen by Leeds to play against them sounds as if Leeds feel they are the weaker than Wigan. Which might spur the Dragons on.

I hope Catalans beat them now :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 27 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apparently they've chosen Catalans. Reaction?[/b]
I've just seen a clip of the announcement. It was very funny when the Leeds chairman said, "it's been a very tough decision...." and the entire press corps laughed in unison before he annouced they'd face Les Catalans!

Good on the RFL for trying something different with the Club Call idea. Let's see how it pans out. Will it provide Les Cats with more motivation or will it give the table toppers an easier route to the final?

On another note, I saw the clip on Sky Sports News. Charlotte Jackson......phoarrrrrr!

I don't really see the point in this. You can imagine the meeting at Red Hall when it was dreamt up.

Everyone knew that Leeds would pick Catalan, there is more of a chance of beating Catalan than Wigan. Plus the want to have Wigan and Saints knocking seven shades of **** out of one and other a week before the final in a game that could go either way.

It is a weird/stupid way of doing things =/
I wouldn't count the catalans completely out though, theyre playing very well this season (their win over the giants the other day, while not by a massive amount, shows that)

Very much looking forward to *spits* St Helens *spits* vs Wigan though :p

*I meant at the moment, not this season (not that they did shockingly all season, they just could have done better)
They're definitley on form atm, the catalans

I like this system. We saw in the NRL this year St George had to play Parramatta and the Bulldogs got to play Newcastle. If we had the choice we would have definately chosen to play Newcastle as they are the easier team.

I am not suprised Leeds picked Catalans, I don't know why you would expect that they picked Saints. If they had a normal draw they probably would have played Catalans anyway.

Latest posts