• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Club, Province, National team, else (Lions, etc.)

Which one comes first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Leicester Tigers
England
Lions.

But in terms of comp it would be
World Cup
European Cup
Six Nations
Lions Tour
Prem
AI and Summer Tours

Country is it for me tbh.

Love the Lions but it feels more like a showpiece rather than something that really matters.

On the club side, i don't have particularly strong feelings - I guess it's because I've moved around a lot and watched/played for whichever side was local.
That said, I definitely have a soft spot for Garforth RFC (as one of the founders) and am increasingly passionate about Gloucester (I think because the fans are so passionate and I've been here a while now).

Club, club and then club.

if all else fails, country.

Provinces? I've tried to support an Irish province as we have no provinces. But I failed lamentably. Nothing felt right.

Leinster briefly appealed to me as their fans can shout 'Al-llez les blo-eus' (it's 'Allez les Bleus') without really meaning it ;). But nah.

Last edited:
I'll speak about English and French rugby and say that Premiership club rugby/Top 14 has to be the priority for me, cos if that is healthy and there exists a good working relationship between clubs and the powers that be in the national set-ups, then all should be well!

Club, club and then club.

if all else fails, country.

Provinces? I've tried to support an Irish province as we have no provinces. But I failed lamentably. Nothing felt right.

Leinster briefly appealed to me as their fans can shout 'Al-llez les blo-eus' (it's 'Allez les Bleus') without really meaning it ;). But nah.

Interesting as I'd always assumed your User ID to be indicative of your primary allegiance to the national side, rather than being a fan that's French :)

When I was a kid (back in the 70's) the order would have been easy ......

1) County (Lancashire)
2) Club (Orrell)
3) Nation (England)
4) Other (Lions)

The professional era killed the County Championship and my club, so now I'm not so sure.

I can't make a decision. Mainly its because you never have to as the Bokks haven't played the WP/Stormers as far as I'm aware and the dates don't clash really. I suppose if the Bokke were playing at the same time as WP then Id watch the test but that has more to do with the watering down of the Currie Cup than my 'commitments'. I suppose I could say I'd rather have Etzebeth playing in a Bok jersey than a WP one in a watered down CC so I'd go;

1 Springbokke
2 WP/Stormers (same thing really though I would love if the CC could become a premier competition again and SR a kind of 'Euro Cup' type thing)
3 Cheetahs
4 Racing 92 (my adopted Euro club- at the time I started following Eur rugby on the fringe (post 2007 RWC in France) they were newly promoted with sexy jerseys and had signed Frans Steyn and a bunch of other SA players
5 Other SA teams
6 Bulls (since they too feed into the national side I suppose they ATM they really shouldn't)
7 Fiji

Country
Franchise
Provincia
Grassroots club
Urba top 14 most liked club

World Cup
RCH
Super rugby
Provincial
Nacional Clubes
URBA top 14