• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Club Rugby

scottyfroggatt

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Scarlets
I am thinking of joining a rugby club near to where I live. I don't have any club experience and have only played school rugby. How long does it take to learn all of the rules for the game?

I am thinking of joining a rugby club near to where I live. I don't have any club experience and have only played school rugby. How long does it take to learn all of the rules for the game?

What area are you in ?
You'll pick up the basics as you go, also watch as much rugby as you can, some of the TV commentators are excellent and will help with their comments as will the coaches and players at whichever club you decide to join. I see you have a scarlets badge on your page are you in that area ?, if so I can point you towards a few clubs.

Well in fact that badge is quite misleading. I have been to see the Scarlets a couple of times and i am going agin in 3 weeks time.

However i am not from there, i am from Merseyside. Looking at Wirral Rugby Club. I know the managers son and he said that they would like to see me in training if i want to try it out. I am not allowed to sign on and play until next season because the closing registration date was the 31st of December. However they said that i am able to train in preparation for next season :D

They are a good standard amateur club who, if i join, will hopefully develop me massively as a player in the coming years.

You'll love it once you start playing and miss it greatly when you end up to old to play like I am now.
Although I am a Ponty fan, there aren't many better places to watch rugby than Llanelli, they have a history richer than most and a culture second to none, do the boys still run out to Dafydd Iwan singing Yma O Hyd (link below with some pretty evocative pictures)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjFHqMxLGjg
It's worth looking at the translation when you have the time.
One of my all time favourite players was the late great Ray Gravell who was taken from us to early, so revered was Ray that a play based on his life was recently written and toured Wales last year.

Latest posts