clueless wife needs some expert advice!

shellball82

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
Hello,
I wonder if you can help? My husband absolutely adores the England rugby team and so for Christmas I have bought him 2 tickets to the Rugby League World cup opening ceremony 2013 with Eng v Aus and Wales v Italy. The only prob is I didn't realise there was a difference between league and union! *hangs head in shame*
I now know he follows the union teams and not league. Do you think this present is still going to appeal or is it a case of being in one camp or the other? Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Thank you.

From my experience it's either one or the other, but personally I'd still pretty chuffed with the present if I was him. Perhaps you could find something union related to sweeten the deal a bit as well?

Hi,
First of all, that's a great Christmas present. However, some rugby fans are kind of "against" rugby league. You should ask his friends about it.
I see both games are in Cardiff. The big rugby union event in Cardiff in the next months is Wales against England, but I don't know if they're selling tickets yet.

Well it's still a pretty great gift to be honest! I'm sure most rugby union fans would enjoy that, it is England versus Oz and it is the World Cup after all. Still, if you're not sure maybe you should try looking into swapping the tickets for some of England's November Union internationals?

The biggest union match coming up for England is the game against the Springboks at Twickenham (seeing it as a return match after England toured SA in June this year). If you can't swap them around somehow it's still a damn fine present IMO.

I'm guessing it'd be best to have tickets for after​ christmas. If not, the Springboks are good too. Not in Cardiff though.

I'm guessing it'd be best to have tickets for after​ christmas. If not, the Springboks are good too. Not in Cardiff though.

Yes, the closest to Christmas of the AI test matches is England facing the All Blacks at the 1st of December and while it should be great to see the AB's and the haka it's not a game England are in with a big shot of actually winning like with SA and Aus. There is of course the 6 nations.

Keep checking to see whether the event sells out. If it does, there will probably be people looking to buy some tickets online. (It might not sell out for a while though? Not sure tbh.) Maybe check ebay to see how much they're selling for. If you think you can get your money back, you could sell them and buy tickets for the six nations. England vs Wales/France will be the ones to look at imo!

But I'd be happy with the league option too. Most rugby fans watch one or the other, but most will be able to appreciate the one that they don't watch because they are such similar sports.

Hello,
I wonder if you can help? My husband absolutely adores the England rugby team and so for Christmas I have bought him 2 tickets to the Rugby League World cup opening ceremony 2013 with Eng v Aus and Wales v Italy. The only prob is I didn't realise there was a difference between league and union! *hangs head in shame*
I now know he follows the union teams and not league. Do you think this present is still going to appeal or is it a case of being in one camp or the other? Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Thank you.

If my partner gave me tickets to the RLWC Opening Ceremony, I'd be very happy.

Thanks everyone for responding -you have put my mind at ease somewhat. I'll let you know how he responds after Christmas.

I think it will be fine. I don't really follow Rugby League but I'm thinking about going to a few games to the see the Rugby talent on show and the fact that its a World Cup in the UK. Given that its against Oz as well means it will be a very enjoyable day out. Pretty awesome gift for a fan of either League or Union if you ask me.

Latest posts