• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cockerill braced for Mauger exit

B

Bullitt

Leicester Head Coach Richard Cockerill has admitted he expects centre Aaron Mauger to return to New Zealand at the end of the season.

The All Black joined Leicester after the 2007 World Cup and is out of contract at Welford Road at the end of the season - with New Zealand rugby bosses already expressing an interest in him returning home.

And Cockerill feels the lure of playing in a World Cup in New Zealand in 2011 will sway the former Crusaders star, who has been capped 46 times by his country.

"Aaron is a class player and I would understand why New Zealand would want him. There is no definite decision been made either way, really," he said, speaking to Sky Sports News.

"Obviously we have got to fit everyone into the salary cap and obviously he comes at a price. But he has been really good for us. He is a really good bloke first and foremost and he will make the right decision."

Cockerill feels the 29-year-old would be a boost for New Zealand's midfield.

"I think the temptation for him would be to go back because they want him, I think they've missed him," he added.

"I feel they've missed his intelligence more than they thought they would.

"And I think that little bit of unfinished business, and with the World Cup being in New Zealand, that may tip it, but we will have to see."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5854856,00.html

Allen & Hipkiss offers much more anyway.

Latest posts