• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cockerill replaces Ford at Toulon

He was always off at the end of the season; but the Karma is still pretty delightful.

Unless it counts as giving Leicester a lead on aggragate ahead of this weekend's clash.

Last edited:
Can anybody explain all this, I have't been following. Is this another reflection of Cockerill not being able to work with anyone or is it more complicated than that?

Can anybody explain all this, I have't been following. Is this another reflection of Cockerill not being able to work with anyone or is it more complicated than that?

I think it's more Cockers is next in line for poisoned chalice but he's smart enough to not be hanging around.

By the time Galthie comes in next season, isn't that gonna make 5 different head coaches at Toulon in just over a year (including LaPorte)?

Lets hope Mike leaves Toulon in as good a condition as he left Bath.

Perhaps the manner in which he got the Toulon top job?

And the Bath job
And the way he (allegedly) treated Martin Johnson when with England
And the way he treated Brian Ashton when with England
And the way he (allegedly) treated Eddie O'Sullivan when with Ireland

And the Bath job
And the way he (allegedly) treated Martin Johnson when with England
And the way he treated Brian Ashton when with England
And the way he (allegedly) treated Eddie O'Sullivan when with Ireland

How did he (allegedly) treat them? You've just named three coaches who have done nothing of note since parting ways with Ford so, whatever about being a dick, he must be handy enough. I'm kind of playing Devil's advocate here, I haven't paid much attention to the man.

How did he (allegedly) treat them? You've just named three coaches who have done nothing of note since parting ways with Ford so, whatever about being a dick, he must be handy enough. I'm kind of playing Devil's advocate here, I haven't paid much attention to the man.

I've not paid much attention to him either. However in Interviews I have seen both short and long I can't say I like him. He appears very arrogant and rude almost as though he believes himself superior. This manner is not just to " journalists" but ex players and coaches too. All a bit odd really.

I wonder where he will end up next.

Silly season at Toulon has begun again ... what a shambles!

By the time Galthie comes in next season, isn't that gonna make 5 different head coaches at Toulon in just over a year (including LaPorte)?

yes 5 head coaches and 6 assistant! Boudjellal has become more important than his club. He can't see that he is part of the problem.

Sorry, I've only just seen this.
He got the Bath job by stabbing Gary Gold in the back.
Allegedly, he undermined Jonno's authority as head coach - though that may have had as much to do with Jonno's desire to be a manager than head coach anyway (the same accusation was then flung at Andy Farrell towards Stuart Lancaster).
He actively undermined Brian Ashton in public ("the management of this team is a dissgrace" "we've no world class players" "the players are basically coaching themselves") in the build up to the 2007 World Cup, and is thought to be a large part in Jonno getting the job (with Ford as defacto head coach).
The allegations of his time with Ireland were of a split coaching staff with a power divide - I've no idea on veracity though.

I don't think anyone's ever claimed that Mike Ford is a bad coach - it's patently obvious that he isn't; what he appears to be appauling at is man-management. He seems to leave division in his wake wherever he's been; and has a history of coming into a coaching job, and miraculously becoming head honcho within a year as the incumbent is ditched (Ashton, Gold, Dominguez). Even at Saracens he got that promotion within 12 months, though if there are any rumours of backstabbing there, I haven't heard them (or have forgotten). The only place he ever seemed content as an underling was under Martin Johnson... where Ford was head coach in all but name; the only Head Coach / DoR who survived having Ford as his underling is Eddie O'Sullivan.

Sorry, I've only just seen this.
He got the Bath job by stabbing Gary Gold in the back.
Allegedly, he undermined Jonno's authority as head coach - though that may have had as much to do with Jonno's desire to be a manager than head coach anyway (the same accusation was then flung at Andy Farrell towards Stuart Lancaster).
He actively undermined Brian Ashton in public ("the management of this team is a dissgrace" "we've no world class players" "the players are basically coaching themselves") in the build up to the 2007 World Cup, and is thought to be a large part in Jonno getting the job (with Ford as defacto head coach).
The allegations of his time with Ireland were of a split coaching staff with a power divide - I've no idea on veracity though.

I don't think anyone's ever claimed that Mike Ford is a bad coach - it's patently obvious that he isn't; what he appears to be appauling at is man-management. He seems to leave division in his wake wherever he's been; and has a history of coming into a coaching job, and miraculously becoming head honcho within a year as the incumbent is ditched (Ashton, Gold, Dominguez). Even at Saracens he got that promotion within 12 months, though if there are any rumours of backstabbing there, I haven't heard them (or have forgotten). The only place he ever seemed content as an underling was under Martin Johnson... where Ford was head coach in all but name; the only Head Coach / DoR who survived having Ford as his underling is Eddie O'Sullivan.

Bloody hell that's a brutal assessment and also very true!

Remember his little speech to the cameras in 2007 about how England had no world class players...Apart from Jonny Wilkinson, Jason Robinson and the entire pack. The only thing that wasn't world class was the coaching and its wasn't until the players took control England started winning and managed to get to the final.

Oh yeah, forgot to add - he also has a huge ego, which is why it seems unlikely that he'll ever be happy just doing the stuff he's good at (coaching) without wanting to be in charge of the whole shebang.

TS - it must be pretty close to what I wrote about him when he arrived at Bath (though we can now add Gold and Dominguez to his list of conquests) - I remember being deeply unimpressed by him as an individual - unfortunately, the board I wrote that initial assessment on has been through some changes, and it ate my post.

Latest posts