Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6218672,00.html

Dan Cole scared the wits out of the Wallaby front-row during England's drawn Test series - and he is now doing the same to women and children.
The Leicester prop required seven stitches above his left eye after being caught by a stray boot early in Saturday's 21-20 second Test victory.
Three female officials yelped in shock when Cole passed them inside the Olympic Stadium tunnel on his way for running repairs on the wound.
The stewardess on England's flight from Sydney to Napier got a similar fright and then it was the turn of children at the local boys' high school to get an eyeful of Cole's purple shiner.
Asked if his black eye had been scaring any schoolboys, Cole said: "Children ... women. The air stewardess on our flight over started talking to me as I was looking out the window. I turned round to talk to her and she screamed and almost fell over."
But the 23-year-old, who has been one of the big success stories of England's season, is proud of his battle scars given they were received in pursuit of a famous victory.
"I made a tackle and my head popped up, then someone made a tackle next to me and a boot just caught me. If we had lost it might have been a bit more sore," said Cole.
"We won and I'm quite happy. If seven stitches is what it takes to win a Test match then I'll take that.
"This is the first time I have played in the southern hemisphere. Not many England teams have won against Australia, in Australia, so to be part of that was great."
England's next Test is against New Zealand at Twickenham in November but the tourists' season will not end until after Wednesday's clash with the Maori in Napier.
Martin Johnson has brought a trimmed-down 28-man squad to Napier but he was expected to select the strongest midweek team of the tour overnight.
"We have used the expression 'third Test' ourselves to describe the game. It is the biggest game of the tour for a lot of these boys and they have been training for it since last week," said Johnson
Dominic Waldouck, David Strettle, Geoff Parling and Dave Attwood were among those in line for selection who would have taken great confidence from the way Cole and other rising stars have made their mark at Test level.
Cole enjoyed a breakthrough season for Leicester and was part of an England front row that dominated a rookie Australian unit from the first minute of the Test series.
Scrum-half Ben Youngs and lock Courtney Lawes also excelled on their full debuts in Sydney while Ben Foden, Chris Ashton and Tom Croft all enjoyed arguably their best games for England.
Johnson last week told the entire 44-man touring party that every one of them is in the mix for selection in the 32-strong elite squad, which is named in July.
"I told them 'it is in your hands but don't worry about the end point, just make yourself good enough to be there'," said Johnson.
England's midweek team are unbeaten on this trip after a draw and a win against the Australian Barbarians and the Maori clash represents one final chance for those on the fringes of senior selection to press their claims.
Parling's lineout steal in the Guinness Premiership final clinched Leicester the ***le - but he still considers this game to be one of the most important of his career.
"I am not looking at the World Cup or the autumn internationals or even the elite squad," he said.
"This is the last game of our tour and it is probably one of the biggest games I have played. I just want to perform well and push myself into the coaches' minds.
"The pressure is on after the Test team performed well at the weekend."
The Maori side includes former Sale Sharks centre Luke McAlister and prop Corey Flynn, who were both part of the team that beat the British and Irish Lions in 2005.
Wednesday's game caps a three-match series to celebrate the Maori centenary and follows their victories over the New Zealand Barbarians and Ireland.
"It is great for us to be here in the first place and play a tough game and we are happy to be involved in the Maori centenary," said Johnson.
"We know a lot about Luke McAlister. The whole back line is very dangerous. A lot like the first Test against Australia, if we let them play they will look good and score. If we don't let them play we put ourselves in with a chance."

Dan-Cole-cut-eye_2468400.jpg

Boo!

LOL good read, thanks!

that eye gave me a fright too as i scrolled down!

Fairplay for playing on through that!
Imagine if that happened to a footballer :p
Airlifted to hospital and sue FIFA

I was wondering whether he could see out of that eye for most of the game lol. I can't believe he's only early twenties, he looks mid thirty at least. Nice ears for a prop that doesn't wear a scrum cap.

Latest posts