• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Collins ends New Zealand career

S

shazbooger

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7419984.stm

Former All Blacks captain Jerry Collins has ended his career in New Zealand.

The 27-year-old Wellington Hurricanes loose forward said he would take an indefinite break from the game before considering his future.

"It's something I've thought about for a while. I've played 10 years for one province and it's hard to leave but it's probably the right time," he said.

Collins, who will play for the Barbarians against England on Sunday, may consider an overseas contract.

But he added: "I'm not in any rush to get out the country."

Collins made his Test debut against Argentina in Christchurch in 2001 and went on to win 48 caps, including three as captain.

606: DEBATE
What will Collins do now?

His last match for New Zealand was last year's World Cup quarter-final loss to France in Cardiff.

Collins took the last conversion kick of the Hurricanes' Super 14 semi-final loss to the Canterbury Crusaders on Saturday.

"With me, I'd like to think that what you saw is what you got. I always tried to put as much as I could into every match," he said.

"I wanted to leave at the right time and after thinking about things over the past week, and then getting through Saturday night's match, that time is now.

"I wanted to do it the right way with respect to the Hurricanes, the New Zealand Rugby Union and the Wellington Rugby Union.

"You can't negotiate while you're still contracted so at the moment the cupboard is pretty bare but I'm sure there's someone out there who will give me a job for a couple of weeks."

Collins is the 11th player to quit the All Blacks following last year's failed World Cup campaign in France.

Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Byron Kelleher, Aaron Mauger, Luke McAlister and Doug Howlett are all now plying their trade in Europe.

Nick Evans (England) and Reuben Thorne (Japan) have signed contracts to play overseas while Keith Robinson retired through injury.

All Blacks coach has a preferred policy of picking players who ply their trade in New Zealand.

[/b]

Absolute legend.

Definitely will go down as one of the finest flankers in All Black history and I'm sure he will be widely acknowledged around the world and remembered for his ability on the field.

Hopefully this won't be another farce trying to replace him like the trouble they had and still have with replacing Umaga.

J'ai parié que Collins apprend à lire une expression comme cela comme nous parlons.

Absolute legend.

Definitely will go down as one of the finest flankers in All Black history and I'm sure he will be widely acknowledged around the world and remembered for his ability on the field.[/b]

You make it sound like he died. . .

J'ai parié que Collins apprend à lire une expression comme cela comme nous parlons.
[/b]
Natuurlik, hy's een harde bliksem, maar dit altyd lyk of 'n hoender eier op sy kop gebreek het.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Natuurlik, hy's een harde bliksem, maar dit altyd lyk of 'n hoender eier op sy kop gebreek het. [/b][/quote]

Ja, jeg er helt enig!

Seriously though, Collins is an inspirational player for the Hurricanes and the All Blacks and had the sheer skill to match. Whether the game was wide open or tight as a Nunnery, he can be depended upon to do the hard work to enable a victory. That is why he'd be in any world XV I would say.

At 27 years old, it is sad that the international game is losing him so soon :(

Absolute legend.

Definitely will go down as one of the finest flankers in All Black history and I'm sure he will be widely acknowledged around the world and remembered for his ability on the field.[/b]

You make it sound like he died. . .
[/b]

Well he pretty much has as a rugby player, most of us might not see him play again down here. What do you expect?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhxtA-vf8LQ&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhxtA-vf8LQ&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It's a shame he's calling it quits while so young.

As a Brumby/Wallaby supporter I like to see our players compete with the best, and Collins was definately one of the best players around.

He's a tough bugger, and it's sad we won't be coming up against him in the Tri Nations.

It's a shame he's calling it quits while so young.

As a Brumby/Wallaby supporter I like to see our players compete with the best, and Collins was definately one of the best players around.

He's a tough bugger, and it's sad we won't be coming up against him in the Tri Nations. [/b]
I agree...NZ need to rethink their policies just a wee bit. It would be nice for him to play where he wants and still be able to be an All Black. I don't quite get that concept.
We'll still get to see him, though. You know he's going to get top dollar up North.

<div class='quotemain'> It's a shame he's calling it quits while so young.

He's a tough bugger, and it's sad we won't be coming up against him in the Tri Nations. [/b]
I agree...NZ need to rethink their policies just a wee bit. It would be nice for him to play where he wants and still be able to be an All Black. I don't quite get that concept.
We'll still get to see him, though. You know he's going to get top dollar up North.
[/b][/quote]

Same here but I don't get half the ******** the NZRU comes up with. Time to revisit me thinks, the game is professional now so how about they treat players like professionals? If they want money, fair enough but to close the door on them completely is a step too far.

Collins will rake in a shite load up North and good for him, he certainly deserves it, although you can bet it's the last thing on his mind.

It's hard to ask much more of the guy, in terms of loyalty.

He's lived and played rugby in the same city his whole life. He's earned the right to look at other options and make some coin.

It's also easier to feel good for him knowing that there are a couple of solid replacements for him at BS flanker now. Read and Kaino have both outplayed Jerry this year and Henry even went as far as to say that Collins' form would not have been good enough for him to be picked for the upcoming Irish and English tests.

But that's not to diminish or take away from the guy who has redefined the hardman flanker role over the past decade. That hit on Colin Charvis, where he legally knocked him out through shear tackling force is truely incredible!!

He'll be missed, wherever it is that he heads off too...

Graham Henry ended Collins career. He better take us to the promise land to make up for this.

Graham Henry ended Collins career. He better take us to the promise land to make up for this.
[/b]
Hahaha, yeah right buddy. Jerry ended his own career, see the articles of him saying he is ending it...I don't see how Henry did anything at all that Collins didn't have 100% controll over....

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Hahaha, yeah right buddy. Jerry ended his own career, see the articles of him saying he is ending it...I don't see how Henry did anything at all that Collins didn't have 100% controll over.... [/b][/quote]

I was joking, I knew you'd be one of the 1st to fall for it.

Latest posts