• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commentator? Please help with this query

shanners

Academy Player
Hello. Could someone please tell me the name of the commentator with the aussie accent in yesterday's Scotland/Wallabies game. He's one of the main commentators in this world cup but his name never seems to be given with the broadcast. Thanks in advance.

The ITV commentary team was Jon Champion(English), Scott Hastings(Scottish) and David Flatman(English).

The ITV commentary team was Jon Champion(English), Scott Hastings(Scottish) and David Flatman(English).

I don't know where shanners is located but in NZ we do not get the ITV commentary.

For the live matches we get out NZ commenatators, but for the highlights packages by WR we get Tony Johnson (NZ), Rod Kafer (AUS), and Joel Stransky (SAF)

Thanks for that. It certainly wasn't Hastings or Flatman and the only Jon Champion I can find is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hMx-a7OWo

And that's not him, no aussie accent there. Unless there's a different team on the broadcast I get (Fox sports)?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know where shanners is located

SE Asia.

For the live matches we get out NZ commenatators, but for the highlights packages by WR we get Tony Johnson (NZ), Rod Kafer (AUS), and Joel Stransky (SAF)

This guy definitely sounds like an aussie tho maybe he's a kiwi but don't think so.

Thanks for that. It certainly wasn't Hastings or Flatman and the only Jon Champion I can find is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hMx-a7OWo

And that's not him, no aussie accent there. Unless there's a different team on the broadcast I get (Fox sports)?

- - - Updated - - -

SE Asia.

This guy definitely sounds like an aussie tho maybe he's a kiwi but don't think so.

I have had a quick look online and Fox Asia don't seem to list their Commentators.

I have had a quick look online and Fox Asia don't seem to list their Commentators.

Thanks. I've think it's coming from Fox sports in Aus but a search there turned up nothing. There were just two of them, the other was a Scot. Maybe I should ask on an aussie board. But I would've thought there are lots here...

Has to be the stream from foxsports australia.
They ve been using a number of people, changing depending on the game...
According to an article:

"Australia's most experienced commentary team including John Eales, George Gregan, Phil Kearns, Tim Horan, Greg Martin, Rod Kafer and Greg Clark; featuring five members of the Wallabies 1999 World Cup winning squad (Eales, Kearns, Gregan, Kafer, Horan)"

I can also add that they have used piennar too at some early stage (think it was japan-SA).

Now I have no idea who was commentating last night as I watched channel 9's broadcast.

EDIT: If it's a high pitch voice, with a "fully on" accent, it is gregan :p

Last edited:
Has to be the stream from foxsports australia.
They ve been using a number of people, changing depending on the game...
According to an article:

"Australia's most experienced commentary team including John Eales, George Gregan, Phil Kearns, Tim Horan, Greg Martin, Rod Kafer and Greg Clark; featuring five members of the Wallabies 1999 World Cup winning squad (Eales, Kearns, Gregan, Kafer, Horan)"

I can also add that they have used piennar too at some early stage (think it was japan-SA).

Now I have no idea who was commentating last night as I watched channel 9's broadcast.

Thanks. I saw that article a few weeks ago and then searched each name on youtube but didn't recognize anyone. He's quite a softly spoken guy, kinda like Richie Benaud.

I'll have a look when it comes in on foxtel play. There is only QF1 and 2 atm...

Michael Lynagh may be the guy you're thinking of. He was a part of the studio team.

Is Gordon Bray moonlighting?

Pretty sure he isnt involved directely on fox this time around.

As to who was commentating, I viewed some videos from foxsports, and I think phil kearns was in it

But was Shanners watch fox or another channel OS?

Hello. Could someone please tell me the name of the commentator with the aussie accent in yesterday's Scotland/Wallabies game. He's one of the main commentators in this world cup but his name never seems to be given with the broadcast. Thanks in advance.

Gordon Bray. He used to be a regular for Aussie games, in the 90's and early 2000's. I'm glad he is back. Hopefully we hear more from him.

alright for people in australia watch this clip
sound like kearns and kafer? or maybe gregan...

edited wrong link

Last edited:
I don't know where shanners is located but in NZ we do not get the ITV commentary.

We can get it though. I dont have Sky right now and I've been watching the ITV feed. Its been bloody great!

We can get it though. I dont have Sky right now and I've been watching the ITV feed. Its been bloody great!

Yeah, In South Africa I have an option 5 different commentary teams for each game in the World Cup

1. South African English Commentary (Usually Bob Skinstad)
2. Afrikaans Commentary
3. Xhosa Commentary
4. International Commentary 1 (Tony Johnson and Joel Stransky)
5. International Commentary 2 (Andy Gomarshall and whoever else)

Yeah, In South Africa I have an option 5 different commentary teams for each game in the World Cup

1. South African English Commentary (Usually Bob Skinstad)
2. Afrikaans Commentary
3. Xhosa Commentary
4. International Commentary 1 (Tony Johnson and Joel Stransky)
5. International Commentary 2 (Andy Gomarshall and whoever else)

I always choose the option 4. Love listening to Tony Johnson or Gordon Bray.

Latest posts