ORothlain

Official Plastic Paddy
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Ulster
Commonwealth-Games.png

Personally I see the Commonwealth Rugby 7's as a small window into what the future Olympic 7's could be. So, this year's games should be exciting as many countries will hopefully be ramping up their 7's programmes.

I'm already following N.Ireland on twitter (http://twitter.com/nicommonwealth), waiting on their announcements for the squads. Also, we've already got a thread going about New Zealand's power house squad announcement.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking forward to it, it's a great chance for a few players to earn a gold medal, something which I'm suren they'll cherrish. Also, since the squads will be full of big name talent, I'm sure this will be a great preview for the 2016 Olympics.

i'm going to put $100 on NZ to win it. Have you seen their squad?!

Be interesting to see how Wales go in this.

I presume no big names will be going. Be a good base for the like of Prydie to gain more international experience.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how Wales go in this.

I presume no big names will be going. Be a good base for the like of Prydie to gain more international experience.
If no one but the Kiwis go in with big names...well, I think you're just handing them the gold medals.

If no one but the Kiwis go in with big names...well, I think you're just handing them the gold medals.

Wales have central contracts for their 7s players. So I very much doubt that the WRU will allow top players to go or fringe players, which is a shame.

yes, but who regulates stuff like the commonwealth games and the olympics?

yes, but who regulates stuff like the commonwealth games and the olympics?

Well for the Commonwealth im sure the WRU have the rule over the 7s. As for the Olympics I presume it will be a similar set up to the Lions.

England normally take a few up and comers, last time round they had Mathew Tait in the squad

On a serious note, though...
Please tell me that the Rugby Nations involved in the Commonwealth Games aren't going to ignore NZ's selection strategy and just "stay the course" are they?

There are 16 teams arranged into four pools.
The teams in each group play each other once, with the top two progressing to the quarter-finals. All pool matches are completed on the first day of the tournament, day eight.
If teams are level on points during the pool stage, rankings will be decided by the result of the match between the two equal teams. If the match is drawn, points difference will be used.
The third and fourth placed teams in each pool progress to the Bowl competition, and the quarter-final losers take part in the Plate competition. No medals are awarded to the winners of those events.

Pool A:

New Zealand
Scotland
Canada
Guyana

Pool B:

South Africa
Wales
Tonga
India

Pool C:

Samoa
Kenya
Malaysia
Papua New Guinea

Pool D:

England
Australia
Sri Lanka
Uganda

Some form guide and an introduction to the Commonwealth 7s format: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9031959.stm

Last edited:
Only 3 teams in pool C? Now Im no maths boff, but that means there are 15 teams.

Oh yay, Canada vs. Scotland

Bowl competition here we come!

Only 3 teams in pool C? Now Im no maths boff, but that means there are 15 teams.

Oh yay, Canada vs. Scotland

Bowl competition here we come!

BBC **** up not myself ... the last team is ... Malaysia

There are 16 teams arranged into four pools.
The teams in each group play each other once, with the top two progressing to the quarter-finals. All pool matches are completed on the first day of the tournament, day eight.
If teams are level on points during the pool stage, rankings will be decided by the result of the match between the two equal teams. If the match is drawn, points difference will be used.
The third and fourth placed teams in each pool progress to the Bowl competition, and the quarter-final losers take part in the Plate competition. No medals are awarded to the winners of those events.

Pool A:

New Zealand
Scotland
Canada
Guyana

Pool B:

South Africa
Wales
Tonga
India

Pool C:

Samoa
Kenya
Malaysia
Papua New Guinea

Pool D:

England
Australia
Sri Lanka
Uganda

Some form guide and an introduction to the Commonwealth 7s format: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9031959.stm

Pool B looks like the one that will be closest fought one to me.

... thought i'd obviously like NZ to win, but I certainly don't think it's a done deal that they will - Samoa, England, Kenya,Australia, Tonga, Wales?
are all realistic chances ... looking forward to it anyway - hopefully i'll get some coverage here :)

I don't think England have a very good chance of a medal, based on their squad and performance through last seasons 7s circuit.
I think it'll be between the Trinations squads, possibly: G: NZ, S: AU, B: SA

I don't think England have a very good chance of a medal, based on their squad and performance through last seasons 7s circuit.
I think it'll be between the Trinations squads, possibly: G: NZ, S: AU, B: SA

Im gonna remember this post.:angry:

Latest posts