Compression Shirt or Shoulder Pads?

Jman227

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Hey guys,
I'm contemplating between getting a compression shirt or pair of shoulder pads for rugby.
I have played one pre season game with borrowed pads but went with neither shirt nor pads for my remaining two pre season games and one regular season game as the whether is still a bit warm but should be cold enough soon for me to run around in pads or a shirt without sweating to death (although I heard compression shirts keep your body at a set temperature?...)

I am quite a strong player offensively but defensively I am average; the one game when I wore shoulder pads I noticed that my tackling was stronger and more solid.

I don't really know what compression shirts are useful for, but I've seen a few people playing with them on so I thought I'd find out about them and their benefits.

So my question is:
Do you wear/have you worn shoulder pads or a compression shirt?
Have you worn both; if so, which do you prefer?

The most important thing for me is to improve my tackling, which I know shoulder pads do. But if shirts are helpful as well I'd rather get them as they are supposedly more comfortable.
Thanks guys :cool:

Oh sorry guys I didn't know there was a subforum called laws and equipment. I posted in this section cause I saw a thread about headgear in here. If a moderator could move it to the appropriate section that would be appreciated. Sorry :p

I own both, i have McDavid hexpad pads and two nike longsleeve compression shirts
I wear the pads for all contact work, and wear the compression tops when it's cold
I did buy a Canterbury "hot" baselayer, that claims to keep you cool in the heat, but I found it made me hotter than not wearing it
My longsleeve ones do the job though, keep my body heat in and take the edge off of the cold air/cold mud on your arms

I wouldn't say pads improve your tackling though - they might give you a bit of extra confidence but at the end of the day 5mm of foam isn't going to stop a 20st prop charging into you from hurting!

Edit: I've moved it across :)

I have a dodgy left shoulder and so before I started wearing pads I never ever had the confidence to take a hit to it but since I have been wearing them I have been able to hit decently off it (albiet a bit gingerly at first)

The Compression shirts are great for training in the mud and rain...but don't wear them at matches...I find that when you look back on the photos I look a bit of a **** in them :p

Sounds like the compression shirts just keep you warm. I think I'll just be cheap and buy pads and train in thermals haha. Though I haven't decided for sure so if anyone who loves the shirts wants to change my mind im still open to opinions.
Thanks Lucky and TRF, you've been really helpful :)

I wear compression shirts on wet days (with the sleeves rolled up of course). But other than that I don't, I find I get pretty heated up after about three minutes playing. I wouldn't know about shoulder pads I've never worn them.

Pads don't improve your tackling, it's all in the head son!

Pads don't improve your tackling, it's all in the head son!

Yep. What Cyril said you are best off getting a helmet ....
But I have found that aside from the confidence boost when I try open up a prop or one of the bigger boys at full tilt head on without pads ...I get this weird tingling nump burning pain thing after it ..whereas with the pads they do absorb a bit of the initial impact and will protect a fair bit from bone on bone impact eg. getting a clip off a guys hip :/

Wear a compression shirt if your a back and it's cold wouldn't wear shoulder pads unless you've got a dodgy shoulder pads or pussy as others have said don't improve tackling it's definitley in your head

If you wear pads it doesn't just cushion you, it cushions them, I just wear thermals and am one of the strongest tacklers in my team

So, I'm fairly new to rugby, just in my second season. Have missed the last couple of games with a shoulder injury, muscular, either a tear or bruising. Its feeling rather better now so hoping to play next week. Can anyone give me a straight answer as to whether its worth wearing pads to reduce the likelihood of a repeat injury?! I've seen quite a few guys wearing them, but no one seems to be sure whether they offer any real protection. I'm playing 2nd/back row so fairly involved in the rough stuff...

I don't think pads help to prevent injuries, but they do increase confidence and reduce pain if you have boney shoulders. I find them very useful, and I don't think it's all in the head (maybe most of it, but not all)

So, I'm fairly new to rugby, just in my second season. Have missed the last couple of games with a shoulder injury, muscular, either a tear or bruising. Its feeling rather better now so hoping to play next week. Can anyone give me a straight answer as to whether its worth wearing pads to reduce the likelihood of a repeat injury?! I've seen quite a few guys wearing them, but no one seems to be sure whether they offer any real protection. I'm playing 2nd/back row so fairly involved in the rough stuff...

Almost exactly the same position as me, 2nd/Back row, dodgy shoulder. Never wore pads before this season but I would recommend them. You might get bit hot initially but I've found that even if the pads won't improve your tackling it'll spread the impact over your shoulder a bit more evenly. Still haven't dislocated my shoulder this season, it probably isn't the pads but the confidence will stop you from worrying about injuries in the game.

You should still be careful at scrum time (try and lock so your bad shoulder is on the outside rather than the inside of the scrum) but apart from that as long as you hit with good technique you'll be fine.

I wear compression shirts during the winter, especially during a pre-match warm up just to work up a good sweat and make sure that my muscles get loosened up but when it comes to playing ability, they won't make you any better. The worst thing is that during the game they can make you too hot and by the time you get the chance to take them off, you've already overheated.

Shoulder pads on the other hand help you a lot mentally and if you're in a position like lock where you're constantly hitting, they will be a good bit of cushioning. I wouldn't bother about people who say you can't hit if you wear pads or you're just scared of contact, there are plenty of professionals wearing them and they can't be doing too bad if they're getting paid to play!

get a gym membership and make you own shoulder pads....they are called trapezius.

i am not a fan of shoulder pads, often it gives a false sense of security masking a lack of technique in contact.

besides where i play we play in summer and i have kicked off in 37 celcuis before.......in Deadmonton.

Thanks for the replies, some helpful comments, will see how I go and try the pads if I keep having issues. Have been working on the "home grown" variety of shoulder pads but am always short on time for working out! Think trying to keep myself in the back row rather than always covering our lack of 2nd rowers, as at 6' and only 92kg I'm rather punching above my weight as a lock!! Thank you.

Latest posts