• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Connacht sign Kiwi No.8

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/index.php?opti...ld&Itemid=8

Connacht have completed the signing of back row player George Naoupu from the Highlanders in New Zealand.
The 26-year old, who can also play in the second row, has signed until the end of the season.

The 196cm, 112kg player came up through Canterbury’s academy system and also played for the Hawkes Bay club.
A former New Zealand sevens and U-21 player, Naoupu played Super 14 for the Highlanders this season and will link up with former team-mate Niva Ta’auso at the Sportsground.[/b]
I've never heard of him before but I understand the reason he was signed. Mike McComish has been very poor at 8 and John Muldoon has had to play out of position to cover for that signing. Naoupu, assuming he's any good, will sow up the 8 shirt and allow Muldoon, Ray Ofisa, Johnny O'Connor and Mike McCarthy fight it out for the 2 flanker positions. Connacht badly need some competition for places.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 26 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/index.php?opti...ld&Itemid=8

Connacht have completed the signing of back row player George Naoupu from the Highlanders in New Zealand.
The 26-year old, who can also play in the second row, has signed until the end of the season.

The 196cm, 112kg player came up through Canterbury's academy system and also played for the Hawkes Bay club.
A former New Zealand sevens and U-21 player, Naoupu played Super 14 for the Highlanders this season and will link up with former team-mate Niva Ta'auso at the Sportsground.[/b]
I've never heard of him before but I understand the reason he was signed. Mike McComish has been very poor at 8 and John Muldoon has had to play out of position to cover for that signing. Naoupu, assuming he's any good, will sow up the 8 shirt and allow Muldoon, Ray Ofisa, Johnny O'Connor and Mike McCarthy fight it out for the 2 flanker positions. Connacht badly need some competition for places.
[/b][/quote]
Good signing. I agree, Connacht need more internal competition to fuel some aggression to make up for what they lack in talent against the bigger provinces.

Naoupu's a alright player he's no superstar but he's kind of in the Ross Filipo mould big and strong just maybe not as good. I guess his ability to switch from no.8 to lock is a good attribute but he's nothing spectacular.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 27 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Naoupu's a alright player he's no superstar but he's kind of in the Ross Filipo mould big and strong just maybe not as good. I guess his ability to switch from no.8 to lock is a good attribute but he's nothing spectacular.[/b]
I'd rate Fillipo much higher to be honest.

Naoupu's all right, nothing to set the world on fire, but should be a good place holder. He's not going to make much of an impact, but he wont be a disadvantage either, you get what I mean?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 27 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 27 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naoupu's a alright player he's no superstar but he's kind of in the Ross Filipo mould big and strong just maybe not as good. I guess his ability to switch from no.8 to lock is a good attribute but he's nothing spectacular.[/b]

Naoupu's all right, nothing to set the world on fire, but should be a good place holder. He's not going to make much of an impact, but he wont be a disadvantage either, you get what I mean?
[/b][/quote]
agree on the above comments...

was actually thinking that maybe comparing him to Filipo was a bit far...try Reuben Thorne :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 27 2009, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 27 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 27 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
agree on the above comments...

was actually thinking that maybe comparing him to Filipo was a bit far...try Reuben Thorne :p
[/b][/quote]

He not that bad. a very good signing in my opinion, he wont have a bad game. And once or twice in the season he will have a blinder. very safe.

The guy Naoupu is replacing has been absolute muck the few times I've seen him so if the new signing is in any way competent, he'll improve the Connacht setup. Perhaps the competition will spur McComish to up his game.

Thanks for all the Kiwi and Fijian opinions on Naoupu. I doubt many people in this part of the world had heard of him.

Sounds like a very decent signing for Connacht.

The Scarlets have Connacht next so his first NH opposite number will be David Lyons I presume. Not a bad game to start on.

Latest posts