Connacht thread 2011/12 season

profitius

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Theres been alot happening in Connacht over the summer. 15% increase in ground capacity with a new roofed stand, new â'¬1.5m 3 year sponsorship from Mazda (their previous sponsorship was worth â'¬100,000 per year) and 15 new players. They've lost some players too but overall their squad looks to be stronger. And to top it all off their season tickets sales are 8 times higher than last season! All this after the IRFU restructured Connacht earlier this year and brought in some professional business people to run it.

So what's their strongest XV this year do ye reckon? I'd probably go with something along the lines of:

15) Gavin Duffy
14) Fetu'u Vainikola
13) Keith Matthews
12) Henry Fa'afili
11) Tiernan O'Halloran
10) Miah Nikora
9) Frank Murphy

8) George Nauopu
7) Ray Ofisa/Johnny O'Connor
6) John Muldoon
5) Andrew Browne
4) Mike McCarthy
3) Rodney Ah You
2) Adrian Flavin
1) Brett Wilkinson

I'd fear for that lot in Europe. Back row and Front row look fine, but elsewhere I'd be less than happy. Need a new 10, two new locks and a a centre.

Yeah something like that would be their best team. I'd have Eoin Griffen in the center and maybe Swift at lock. Theres also new signings like Stuart Maguire, Dave McSharry, Eoin Grace, Ethnienne Reynecke, Paul O'Donoghue, and Niall O'Connor and Mathew Jarvis who can both play 10 I think. Those new signings could turn out to be decent or bad.

I think their first team might be weakened from last year but the squad is stronger. At the end of next season I reckon Munster and Leinster will be looking to trim their squads a bit so that could help Connacht pick up some more decent players.

I think that O'Donoghue, Maguire and O'Connor will add a little bit of depth this year, but more than likely won't be starting the more important games. I'd agree with you considering next season. The big two will be looking to shed a lot of their fringe players considering that without the WC they won't need squads as large. Hopefully having the likes of Cronin, Keatley and Carr floating around will also convince young lads that it's worth having a punt out west.

There's also TJ Anderson and James Loxton to consider as new recruits that may offer something useful too... am very interested to see what Loxton will be like since he was signed up on an IRFU central contract as one for the future (as was Jarvis).

How did that play out by the way for Loxton & Jarvis... have they been confirmed as ineligible for Irish honours after the initial investigation? Or are they now dual-qualified until they play for either 1st or 2nd string national sides?
And to add something else into the mix, the recent agreement between WRU & WRPA is aiming at reinstating the Wales "A" side, so will that further muddy the waters over whether their U20's are, or were ever, their official 2nd senior side?

Anyways, as said Europe looks a scary proposition but a decent pop at Pro12 respectability might be possible.

btw, what is the official kit colours for this year... is it black shorts & black socks or is it white socks? The promo images for the Mazda sponsorship have gone with black & black... but is it official? And Elvery's have told me they are waiting on the manufacturers still for this seasons kit becoming available... didn't say when tho.

There is still wrangling over the eligibility of the Welsh boys.

From everything I've seen, Eoin Griffen should start at 13 and be given a real go there. Rate him very highly based on what I've seen of him.

I do not rate Niall O'Connor very highly. In fact, I am sat here laughing at the idea that he might be the best option Connacht has at 10. Good luck to him and I hope he proves me wrong... but its not going to happen. Don't see Anderson contributing much either.

Personally, I feel Connacht's been gubbed. They've lost 4 of their best players and for all the talk of support from the IRFU and their neighbours, they've seen bugger all in return. I hope I'm wrong but I do not predict a pretty season.

Connacht's biggest successes for the 2011/12 season have already been achieved. Selling eight times as many season tickets and increasing sponsorship money five fold will significantly boost resources and enable Connacht to sign better players in future years. The new PGB has done a fantastic job already in making Connacht a more viable business. I fear for Connacht on the field though.

Their team is a lot weaker. They've lost their top try scorer, a very good fly half, future international tighthead and international hooker but haven't adequately replaced any of them. Niall O'Connor is a dreadful flyhalf, Ethienne Reynecke is a journeyman, Stewart Maguire has talent but is very raw, Fetu'u Vainikolo is a finisher and nothing else, James Loxton and Matthew Jarvis were bit part players in Wales, Paul O'Donohoe is a serviceable backup, TJ Anderson and Mark McCrea are okay Pro 12 level players, Henry Fa'afili didn't stand out for the worst team in the Premiership and Eoghan Grace didn't make it at Exeter. Of the new signings, only George Nauopu will add to the team.

I hate to say it but I think Connacht will finish bottom of the Pro 12 in what is a rebuilding year. If they can add a decent 10, centre to compliment Eoin Griffin, a second row and some options at prop, they'll take a major leap forward in 2012/13 but I think the coming season will see them take a step backwards in terms of results.

Well, the first XV of the season has been announced for the Exeter game... http://www.connachtrugby.ie/2011081182567/connacht-xv-to-face-exeter-chiefs

Connacht XV to face Exeter Chiefs – Saturday 13th August, Dubarry Park, Athlone 1 Dylan Rogers
2 Ethienne Reynecke
3 Rodney Ah You
4 Michael Swift
5 Dave Nolan
6 TJ Anderson
7 Johnny O'Connor
8 George Naoupu
9 Paul O'Donohoe
10 Niall O'Connor
11 Brian Tuohy
12 Henry Fa'afili
13 Eoin Griffin
14 Mark McCrea
15 Gavin Duffy

Would have liked to see Jarvis tried out at 10 straight away but otherwise will be interesting to see how the other new guys shape up.

To offer a differing view...

Co, TJ Anderson and Mark McCrea are okay Pro 12 level players,

Anderson's a bit poo. Just neither a good enough athlete, nor clever enough, at this level.

McCrea's had a lot of injuries though. This is second hand really, but people I know reckon McCrea could have offered something. There was simply a sigh of relief when Anderson went. Interested to see how McCrea goes...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0819/1224302708356.html
A primary concern is to give the supporters more value for money and one way is through a ticketing initiative whereby those who purchase season tickets, a free pint at every home game, a scarf, membership of the Connacht supporters club and two guest tickets for a game of their choice. Season ticket sales have increased tenfold from last season from 300 to 3,000.
It seems the new boards initiatives are working. Season ticket sales are 1000% of last years total- that's a staggering increase. The next challenge is to keep these 3000 season ticket holders from now on.

Latest posts