• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Connacht v Cardiff Blues

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Connacht.png
Cardiff.png
</div>

Not been the best of starts for the Blues so they'll certainly welcome a trip to the Sportsground in the wake of their performance at Murrayfield last weekend.

The Blues will certainly be happy to have Lions star Jamie Roberts back in the side for this one, following the return of Powell and Halfpenny last week.

Connacht have injury doubts over Brett Wilkinson and Robbie Morris.

Should be a comfortable away win but not quite the thumping of last weekend.

Connacht (from): A Browne, F Carr, S Cronin, G Duffy, A Flavin, J Hagan, C Higgins, I Keatley, R Loughney, K Matthews, M McCarthy, M McComish, R Morris, J Muldoon, F Murphy, T Nathan, M Nikora, J O'Connor, R Ofisa, C O'Loughlin, B Tuohy, B Upton, B Wilkinson, A Wynne.

Cardiff Blues: Ben Blair; Leigh Halfpenny, Gareth Thomas, Jamie Roberts, Chris Czekaj; Ceri Sweeney, Richie Rees; John Yapp, Gareth Williams, Taufa'au Filise, Bradley Davies, Paul ***o (capt), Maama Molitika, Sam Warburton, Xavier Rush.
Replacements: Gary Powell, T Rhys Thomas, Deiniol Jones, Andy Powell, Gareth Cooper, Sam Norton-Knight, Gavin Evans.
Referee: Neil Paterson (SRU)

Hopefully Jamie Roberts can galvanize that backline this weekend. I think the blues will take it by about 3 points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Sep 17 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hopefully Jamie Roberts can galvanize that backline this weekend. I think the blues will take it by about 3 points.[/b]

Well there's something very wrong with Cardiff if they don't win by more than 3. Keatley moved to the bench (bet he regrets that contract extension) and Troy 'rubbish' Nathan starting at cescond centre. And the half the pack is useless.

Gavin Duffy; Brian Tuohy, Troy Nathan, Keith Matthews, Fionn Carr; Miah Nikora, Frank Murphy; Brett Wilkinson, Sean Cronin, Jamie Hagan; Andrew Browne, Bernie Upton; John Muldoon, Ray Ofisa, Mike McComish. Replacements : Adrian Flavin, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Johnny O'Connor, Conor O'Loughlin, Ian Keatley, Aidan Wynn

Something must be wrong with me- I'm actually thinking we might win this one tomorrow. Jamie coming back should help out. Now if we could only get a decent FH.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 17 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gavin Duffy; Brian Tuohy, Troy Nathan, Keith Matthews, Fionn Carr; Miah Nikora, Frank Murphy; Brett Wilkinson, Sean Cronin, Jamie Hagan; Andrew Browne, Bernie Upton; John Muldoon, Ray Ofisa, Mike McComish. Replacements : Adrian Flavin, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Johnny O'Connor, Conor O'Loughlin, Ian Keatley, Aidan Wynn[/b]
That really is a shite team. Duffy has gone backwards as a player (too long under Bradley perhaps?), Touhy is a Championship winger, Nathan is a backpacker rather than a rugby player, Matthews tries hard but lacks class, Nikora is an unknown quantity, Muldoon can't lead a team and McComish is lucky to have a pro contract. Their 2nd rows are a rookie and a journeyman.

The only talents in that squad are Carr (a superb finisher but average defender), Murphy (who surely deserves a deal at a better team), the front row (although Hagan hasn't really proven himself yet), Ray Ofisa, Johnny O'Connor and Ian Keatley. I'd advise Carr, Keatley and Cronin to get the hell away from Michael Bradley at the end of the season before he ruins them like he ruined Gavin Duffy, Johnny O'Connor, Peter Durcan, Danny Riordan........I could go on and on. They badly miss Ta'auso when he's not playing.

It might sound strange but perhaps the best thing that can happen to Connacht is to ship a few big beatings in a row. Maybe then the IRFU will get the message and force Bradley out. He's gone stale, the team lack bottle and regularly fold against non-Irish opposition, in short a change is needed. There is talent at underage level (beating Munster heavily at youth and U20 level last week), they just need a new coach to help bring that through.

This should be a comfortable away win for the Blues. However they have been making it difficult for themselves so far this season. Nice to see Sam Warburton get a regional start, Rob Sowden-Taylor has been a bit off the pace so far. Also interesting to see Richie Rees starting as well in front of Gareth Cooper, maybe it's to give Cooper a rest or maybe it's to make sure Sweeney gets some quick ball to get the backs running at Connacht from the start. If they build up a lead it will let Dai Young bring on Norton-Knightmare for 20 minutes under no pressure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 17 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 17 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gavin Duffy; Brian Tuohy, Troy Nathan, Keith Matthews, Fionn Carr; Miah Nikora, Frank Murphy; Brett Wilkinson, Sean Cronin, Jamie Hagan; Andrew Browne, Bernie Upton; John Muldoon, Ray Ofisa, Mike McComish. Replacements : Adrian Flavin, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Johnny O'Connor, Conor O'Loughlin, Ian Keatley, Aidan Wynn[/b]
That really is a shite team. Duffy has gone backwards as a player (too long under Bradley perhaps?), Touhy is a Championship winger, Nathan is a backpacker rather than a rugby player, Matthews tries hard but lacks class, Nikora is an unknown quantity, Muldoon can't lead a team and McComish is lucky to have a pro contract. Their 2nd rows are a rookie and a journeyman.

The only talents in that squad are Carr (a superb finisher but average defender), Murphy (who surely deserves a deal at a better team), the front row (although Hagan hasn't really proven himself yet), Ray Ofisa, Johnny O'Connor and Ian Keatley. I'd advise Carr, Keatley and Cronin to get the hell away from Michael Bradley at the end of the season before he ruins them like he ruined Gavin Duffy, Johnny O'Connor, Peter Durcan, Danny Riordan........I could go on and on. They badly miss Ta'auso when he's not playing.

It might sound strange but perhaps the best thing that can happen to Connacht is to ship a few big beatings in a row. Maybe then the IRFU will get the message and force Bradley out. He's gone stale, the team lack bottle and regularly fold against non-Irish opposition, in short a change is needed. There is talent at underage level (beating Munster heavily at youth and U20 level last week), they just need a new coach to help bring that through.
[/b][/quote]

that's exactly the problem though, the pressure comes on Bradley and just when he needs it along comes an interpro and a plucky performance and once again he gets a reprieve, what they need if they're to get rid of Bradley is for one of the provinces to give them a hiding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 17 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
that's exactly the problem though, the pressure comes on Bradley and just when he needs it along comes an interpro and a plucky performance and once again he gets a reprieve, what they need if they're to get rid of Bradley is for one of the provinces to give them a hiding.[/b]
I think the main problem is the culture of ineptitude which is accepted by the Connacht hierarchy. Here's are some quotes from the Connacht CEO Gerry Kelly before the season started:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.knockon.ie/?p=1299#more-1299

We aren't as highly resources as other provinces we are not complaining about that[/b]
Why isn't he complaining about it? Surely the CEO should be fighting tooth and nail for every bit of extra financing he can get the province.

That’s part of sport, people calling for heads and the like, it’s a football phenomenon. I think what is disappointing for me is as a GAA man as well to see it coming into football and hurling with fans calling for GAA managers to be sacked regularly. Fans demand success and sometimes don’t see behind the scenes as to why success is not as achievable as it can be. Calling for heads or for a new coach doesn’t guarantee success either. I suppose the best example one can give is if you look at the pressure Michael Cheika was under for the last couple of season with supporters calling for him to leave. It turned around for him and they won the Heineken Cup and suddenly he is a hero.

So it is a challenge. I’m happy, very happy with the coaching team we have in place. I think that we have other things to work on and I know the have worked on a number of things this pre season so I don’t think that there is a quick fix solution.[/b]

He's right in that sacking a coach doesn't automatically lead to improved results but why keep hold of an inept coach who virtually guarantees you bottom place finishes year on year! Since he took over as coach in the 2003/04 season, Bradley has presided over bottom place finishes in each of the last two seasons, 2nd from last the year before that (with only the guillotined Reivers finishing below them), tied for last the previous year and 2nd last in 04/05 (Reivers were wooden spoonists). Only in his debut season were Connacht competitive. His commitment to Connacht must be called into question seeing as he still lives in Cork 6 years after taking the job. He's an appalling coach and can't hide behind the mask of learning his trade- the guy is nearly 47.

After that rant, I've no doubt Connacht will turn the Blues over tomorrow just to spite me!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Sep 17 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hopefully Jamie Roberts can galvanize that backline this weekend. I think the blues will take it by about 3 points.[/b]

Quite honestly if Cardiff don't get a bonus point win then they should all be put down. The gulf of talent is massive between the two teams

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 17 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 17 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's exactly the problem though, the pressure comes on Bradley and just when he needs it along comes an interpro and a plucky performance and once again he gets a reprieve, what they need if they're to get rid of Bradley is for one of the provinces to give them a hiding.[/b]
I think the main problem is the culture of ineptitude which is accepted by the Connacht hierarchy. Here's are some quotes from the Connacht CEO Gerry Kelly before the season started:

We aren't as highly resources as other provinces we are not complaining about that[/b]
Why isn't he complaining about it? Surely the CEO should be fighting tooth and nail for every bit of extra financing he can get the province.

That’s part of sport, people calling for heads and the like, it’s a football phenomenon. I think what is disappointing for me is as a GAA man as well to see it coming into football and hurling with fans calling for GAA managers to be sacked regularly. Fans demand success and sometimes don’t see behind the scenes as to why success is not as achievable as it can be. Calling for heads or for a new coach doesn’t guarantee success either. I suppose the best example one can give is if you look at the pressure Michael Cheika was under for the last couple of season with supporters calling for him to leave. It turned around for him and they won the Heineken Cup and suddenly he is a hero.

So it is a challenge. I’m happy, very happy with the coaching team we have in place. I think that we have other things to work on and I know the have worked on a number of things this pre season so I don’t think that there is a quick fix solution.[/b]

He's right in that sacking a coach doesn't automatically lead to improved results but why keep hold of an inept coach who virtually guarantees you bottom place finishes year on year! Since he took over as coach in the 2003/04 season, Bradley has presided over bottom place finishes in each of the last two seasons, 2nd from last the year before that (with only the guillotined Reivers finishing below them), tied for last the previous year and 2nd last in 04/05 (Reivers were wooden spoonists). Only in his debut season were Connacht competitive. His commitment to Connacht must be called into question seeing as he still lives in Cork 6 years after taking the job. He's an appalling coach and can't hide behind the mask of learning his trade- the guy is nearly 47.

After that rant, I've no doubt Connacht will turn the Blues over tomorrow just to spite me!
[/b][/quote]

No doubt! Still though it's not as if Bradley hasn't done anything to merrit the calls for him to get the sack, only the most loyal of Bradley fans could be spouting that rubbish. True a new coach doesn't guarantee any success but on the flip side it can't get any worse even if they do change him.

Connacht not exactly doing too bad in this one, they've missed enough chances though.

Carr with the try for Connacht but Keatley misses the conversion, they could be well clear had they got their kicks.

Connacht hold on for a 18 - 16 win over Cardiff.

Carr with two tries (his third in two weeks). Maybe he can get himself a place in an extended Ireland squad.

Cardiff are fallling appart.

Connacht would have been kicking themselves had Blair got that last kick given the number of chances they squandered themselves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Sep 17 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
After that rant, I've no doubt Connacht will turn the Blues over tomorrow just to spite me![/b]
:mega_shok:

Did anybody see the game and if so, how did Carr, Keatley, Hagan and Cronin play?

Great result for Connacht but lads after seen Cardiff in the flesh in Thomond park last week i assure ya even when Martyn Williams is back they'll still be poor they peaked last season and the void left at out-half by Robinson is not filled, Ceri Sweeney (who compare himself with ROG few seasons ago) is not at the standard required altho must say Gethin Jenkins is major loss for blues but think that likes of halfpenny and blair wont get much ball and Blues may struggle this year

Oh ffs
Why the hell do we have to fall to bloody bits :wall:
It's looking like it's gonna be a terrible season for the Blues

Yea not looking great for Blues which is pity!!!

What happenin there like is Dai Young in hot seat too long

Latest posts