• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Conrad Smith out of majority of Rugby Championship

Ellison should be back from injury now, though of course he hasn't played in a couple of weeks. Is SBW eligible for Rugby Championship? I'm under the impression he isn't...

Contenders for the midfield:
Nonu, Carter, Ellison, Crotty, Bateman, Freuan, Ranger

http://newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/news/sprug/1980199642-conrad-smith-to-miss-at-least-six-weeks

Big blow for the All Blacks with Kahui already out and Ellison possibly still injured?

I agree, that is a massive blow for the AB's (especially with Kahui gone for the season, and SBW gone to do whatever he is going to do....). I'm not sure what the injury status of Ellison is (he has a hamstring injury, which can take a while to heal) - if he is fit I'd say he'd start outside Nonu. There is certainly a gap in the squad for a new midfield player (or 2) in the squad. Crotty and Fruean would probably be the front runners, and Tim Bateman is possibly another option. Another option would be to play Ben Smith at centre, as he has the ability to play a very similar way to Conrad Smith - if Ellison was out injured I would seriously consider starting Smith him at 13. Andrew Horrell is possibly another option too, though the selectors may consider he doesn't quite have enough experience at Super Rugby level yet....

I suppose there is also the option of playing Carter at 12 outside Cruden (with Nonu at 13), but I'm not a big fan of that backline, as I'm not sure how they would go defensively (Nonu at 13 would be my primary concern).

Last edited:
I bet Jarred Payne is kicking himself right now; SBW moving on, Smith and Ellison crrying injury and ****le. Nonu not in red hot form though I suspect he'll pick it up with the AB's if not at the Blues.

Crotty looked impressive enough on the weekend and like stated above there is always short-term options in the form of Bateman, Carter, B Smith etc etc; you lot will be just fine.

Pretty devistating for the All Blacks.

I'd either go with Ben Smith at centre or take a gamble on Robbie Fruean. Fruean would be a big risk but I'd still like to see him given a shot (could go very wrong defensively though).

Realistically I think they'll go with Nonu/Ellison with Ben Smith/Aaron Cruden/Daniel Carter all moving if there is an injury.

Or you could have Crotty/Batemen at 12 with Nonu shifting to 13

Outside centre is the one position where the All Blacks never had a problem with IMO. there always seems to be a crapload of guys queuing to be the next AB 13. And with legends like Umaga, who for years made that spot his *****, this predicament now is somewhat of unknown territory...

The guy I'd try to put in there even though he'll be out of position, would be Israel Dagg... Purely so that Andre Taylor can come in at fullback...

Well between Umaga's retirement and the 2007 WC the spot was never sewn up either!

I bet Jarred Payne is kicking himself right now; SBW moving on, Smith and Ellison crrying injury and ****le. Nonu not in red hot form though I suspect he'll pick it up with the AB's if not at the Blues.

Crotty looked impressive enough on the weekend and like stated above there is always short-term options in the form of Bateman, Carter, B Smith etc etc; you lot will be just fine.

I agree. Payne had a great season for the Blues last year - if he was still around and displaying the same sort of form he would certainly have a good shot of making the AB's..

Outside centre is the one position where the All Blacks never had a problem with IMO. there always seems to be a crapload of guys queuing to be the next AB 13. And with legends like Umaga, who for years made that spot his *****, this predicament now is somewhat of unknown territory...

The guy I'd try to put in there even though he'll be out of position, would be Israel Dagg... Purely so that Andre Taylor can come in at fullback...

No thanks - though it sounds good in theory, past experience has shown that putting fullbacks with limited distribution skills (and equally limited experience) at centre hasn't turned out well for the AB's (see the '99 and '03 Rugby World Cups....) ;)

Last edited:
12. Carter 13. Nonu

id give tim bateman a shot too... barrett can be on the bench too...

if cruden start at 10 and carter on 12, they don't need a backup flyhalf on the bench :? just hope both of then don't get injured in 1 game :?

i kind of have a feeling Carter will get injured either this week or in the final... :(

Last edited:
Disappointing to see Robbie Freuan's form drop so much because it didnt seem to long ago that he was on the fringes of being an Allblack, and we all know how destructive both him and SBW are at 12 and 13.

Don't think Nonu-Fruean would work. Would love to see a 10-12 combo of Cruden-Carter

Just seen that the AB's selectors may now be considering SBW for the Aussie tests... interesting....

We should know a bit more about possible replacements for Smith in a few days, with an extended AB's training squad of between 20 and 30 (excluding players from whichever of the Chiefs or Crusaders make the final) due to be named either Sunday or Monday.

Last edited:
If he can only play two games I pray to god they don't pick Sonny and I'm some what of an atheist... Please don't waste a spot just so we can keep Sonny in for two games, give someone else a shot.

I'd give Crotty a shot, he really deserves it, move Nonu out to 13. I wouldn't pick Tamati Ellison because he is too old to invest heavily in.

If Fruean has a stellar semi-final and possibly final then it could open up for him. He is the next best 13 after Smith and Kahui and his partnership with Crotty and Carter can be seen as a positive. If anything just play him against Argentina where he won't be tested as much as against Australia or South Africa. The thing that impresses me about Fruean which doesn't show up in stats is his distribution skills. He consistently has crisp distribution for the Crusader's wingers.

Assuming there will be four midfield players; Crotty, Fruean, Nonu and Smith when he recovers.

SBW? What the ****? That's just going full blown retarded to bring him in. Invest in someone who would actually stick around.

Edit: Where on Earth is Isaia Toeava? I remember he was a very solid option at 13.

Been out for the season (played a few games early) and is now off heading overseas.

So he's never going back to New Zealand?

It wouldn't surprise me if he come back to New Zealand in a few years. Despite that fact it seems like he has been around forever he is still only 26, so has plenty of good years left in him. Unfortunately he has been struggling with a hip injury for a number of years now, which doesn't seem to be getting any better....

Latest posts