• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Consistency and interpretation of the referees

bw245

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
In no way am I blaming Wayne Barnes for what happened to Ireland today, Wales deserved the win, but what is up with the way each ref interprets a game? How has it come to a point where you want a certain ref because he'll interpret the game differently than someone else? Should something be done? It's becoming more about the refs lately and it shouldn't be?

Sorry Barnes had a good match it was great to see players fearing slowing down the ball.

Complete opposite to Poite who didn't seam to care what happened at the breakdown.

I've watched all the 6 nations games so far and I must say they have all been reffed so differently.

This can't continue into the World Cup, it's just a joke for professional sports to be so open to interpretation

I've watched all the 6 nations games so far and I must say they have all been reffed so differently.

This can't continue into the World Cup, it's just a joke for professional sports to be so open to interpretation

This is spot on. You can't just have so many referees officiating in such contrasting ways because it creates huge uncertainty amongst players.
How they haven't managed to get a grip on this already is beyond me.

As for consistency...its bloody hard what I would like to see is clear directives from the World Rugby on what to focus on and reward ref's who do. I want to see more Owens/Barnes style ref's.

Sorry Barnes had a good match it was great to see players fearing slowing down the ball.

Complete opposite to Poite who didn't seam to care what happened at the breakdown.

You must have just watched the first half then so.

Barnes completely changed tack in the second half. Ireland were camped on the Welsh line and he allowed numerous infringements go unpunished. He allowed a free for all.

He was consistent in the first half but i still don't enjoy his overly officious manner. He's no feel for the game whatsoever.

Never said he didn't. I'm one of the ones who doesn't blame the ref, and although he had a few stupid calls, Barnes has had worse games. What I'm saying is that each referee referees the game differently, and it's gotten to a point where having a certain referee for a match can be either an advantage or disadvantage, and that should never be the case. You can't be hoping you get a certain referee because you know he's going to referee a certain way. They should all do it the same.

The difference between Poite and Barnes was crazy. Something needs to be done.

I think your looking at through Irish loosing glasses.

Yeah Barnes made a few questionable decisions at the very end but most of second half he was fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Understand bw245 I misread what you put first.

Yeah Barnes made a few questionable decisions at the very end but most of second half he was fine.

Are you reading what I'm writing or are you reading through Welsh glasses? I have said numerous times that I'm not complaining about Barnes. Wales, for the millionth time, deserved to win today. Hands down.
What I'm saying is their is a lack of togetherness of interpretation of the referee. If Barnes interprets the game the way he did, so should all referees. If Poite referees the game the way he did, the others should be doing the same.

It's grand, just don't want people to think I'm being a sore loser cause I'm most definitely not. During the week the focus on Barnes was crazy, because people were worried about the way he interprets the scrum etc. Why should we worry about the way he interprets it and not someone else? They should all be doing it the same.

Partially agree there yes I'd prefer ref who made similar decisions. But I'd rather we had ref's whom are consistent game to game first like Barnes and not a Walsh who's barely consistent in a game. Focus on that first then start brining 5 hem in line.

Partially agree there yes I'd prefer ref who made similar decisions. But I'd rather we had ref's whom are consistent game to game first like Barnes and not a Walsh who's barely consistent in a game. Focus on that first then start brining 5 hem in line.
I'm not sure Barnes is consistent game to game. This is the first time I can remember him being so particular about rolling away at the breakdown. Not that I'm complaining, it made for a more exciting game. I though Barnes was very good today.

I think we need to get away from celebrity referees. At the moment teams tactics are decided on who is refereeing the game. That's a farcical situation. There needs to be leadership from the top. Is Joel Jutge doing a good enough job ensuring consistency?

Last edited:
That's the problem. The refs are becoming celebs and they shouldn't be.

Isn't that happening because the ref plays a big part in matches and there are so few international ones we get use to who they are?

Same happens with Cricket Umpires

I'm not sure about what you mean with celebrity refs? Are you saying they are making decisions to be noticed?

I think we have to understand refereeing a game is extremely difficult, at any level. As the human mind only has the capacity to pay attention to a number of elements at one time, it's almost impossible to referee everything at one time. This means referees will have a pattern to what they are able to pay attention to and therefore be able to referee.

As this is a contact sport and bodies can be unpredictable in contact, it will be almost impossible to referee exactly the same as one another in the time they have to make decisions. Barnes today was calling penalty for not rolling away, even when the player had let the ball go, the player could not move and the ball was playable.

All we can ask is that they are consistent in what they do. They need to be able to explain their decisions to the players and to refereeing peers. After the game you'd hope Poite would be asked why he refereed the breakdown as he did.

Last edited:
Isn't that happening because the ref plays a big part in matches and there are so few international ones we get use to who they are?

Same happens with Cricket Umpires

No it's happening because referees are interpreting everything differently and the ref, even if he makes a bad call, is being hailed a hero in the eyes of the team the call favours, while the opposition will be thinking that another ref wouldn't have done the same, and get frustrated. Suddenly there's war and the ref is in the spotlight.

Take for example, 2 weeks ago Ireland against England, Joubert and O'Connell were having words when Ireland didn't contest in the line out. Jack McGrath was penalised, and there was confusion from O'Connell, and Joubert had to explain. Would the same have happened with another ref? Who knows? But the fact there's confusion is worrying.

- - - Updated - - -

Understand bw245 I misread what you put first.

Don't know what 'Irish loosing glasses' are but if want to address the point i'll gladly debate it with you. Barnes reffed one way in the first half (absolute zero tolerance of interfering in the ruck) and a completely different way in the second. He allowed Wales get away with murder close to their line.

Watch the passages back and refute what i'm saying instead of calling me a sore loser please. I've no problem with the result.

This is a pet bugbear of mine and why I'm losing love with the game. It should be a number 1 priority.

Unfortunately, I think actually solving the issue might be very difficult.

Latest posts