• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Conversion charge downs should be outlawed.

Jack Reacher

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
In wake of yesterdays result, I've always felt it strange the opposition can charge at a conversion anyway whilst the try scoring team has to retreat to half way? If one team is still active then surely the other team can be, basically a NFL kick scrimmage - which i don't want!
Also how many players actually know the correct rule, even at international level? If a charging player gets there before the kick does he grab the ball or tackle the kicker? Also in the rare times the ball falls off the tee and the player then needs to dropkick the conversion do the charging players tackle him also?
I think if this ever occurred the natural adrenalin filled thing to do would be to dive at the kicker leaving him completely flattened!
I think its a stupid outdated rule that needs removing and also whilst on the subject with scrums taking 15-20% of the time away from the match the clock should be stopped for conversions, if there is 5-6 tries a match that is nearly 10 minutes of celebration and kicking time.

You can pick up/kick away the ball if you get there before the kicker does. I think the charging players can't tackle him but can just block the dropped goal being taken.

its a fair enough thing to let people charge down, it happens about once every 100 games so not something to be too worried about.

I like the possiblity of being able to charge down conversions. When its done correctly it means that the fate of the kick isn't entirely out of the control of the opposing team. We once lost a game because we charged down a conversion and then the referee called it back because we yelled why charging - which apparently we weren't allowed to do, but overall its always worth a shot.

good replies, I also played a match where a couple of our lads charged a penalty! the ref let it happen, hilarious.
I still think its outdated, league has a lot of these type of things right, not that i like the game but things like clock stopping they have spot on. League has the momentum ruling for forward passes too which union still doesn't seem to understand - happened yesterday, Cruden's last pass may have floated flat but he clearly passed it back just that we was running full tilt, simple physics! Also the knock down rule, if a player slaps the ball out of a attackers hand then that is a knock on against the defender not the attacker, again happened yesterday.
Rugby leaves so many little things to interpretation where a simple rule change would clear it up.

Also the knock down rule, if a player slaps the ball out of a attackers hand then that is a knock on against the defender not the attacker, again happened yesterday.

Why?? The attacker has possession of the ball, if he loses control of it by knocking it on or it being slapped down, then it's his mistake as he didn't keep it secured.

It happened in the SA vs France game too... Pape slapped the ball out of Ruan Pienaar's hand, I wasn't angry at Pape, I was angry at Ruan for taking so bloody long, and then not securing the possession.

Why?? The attacker has possession of the ball, if he loses control of it by knocking it on or it being slapped down, then it's his mistake as he didn't keep it secured.

No, I'm not saying it shouldn't be allowed but it shouldn't be penalised as a knock on. If you look at it scientifically, which ironically league did, the player who hits at the ball has to be the force behind the directional movement and the last player to touch it, hence not a knock on.

if his arm is grabbed then thats ok but general slapping of the ballhas to be looked at.

good replies, I also played a match where a couple of our lads charged a penalty! the ref let it happen, hilarious.
I still think its outdated, league has a lot of these type of things right, not that i like the game but things like clock stopping they have spot on. League has the momentum ruling for forward passes too which union still doesn't seem to understand - happened yesterday, Cruden's last pass may have floated flat but he clearly passed it back just that we was running full tilt, simple physics! Also the knock down rule, if a player slaps the ball out of a attackers hand then that is a knock on against the defender not the attacker, again happened yesterday.
Rugby leaves so many little things to interpretation where a simple rule change would clear it up.

The iRB officially sanctioned the momentum aspect for forward passes in 2011

[video=dailymotion;xngd9s]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xngd9s_irb-update-the-forward-pass-video_school[/video]

I also believe the conversion charge should be done away with. Its a hark back to the game 100 years ago, when you had to kick the goal to get any points at all. A try was worth nothing, it simply allowed you to have the shot at goal (that is how it got its name, "try for goal"). This was was done by the curious act of "punting out". When an attacking player touched the ball down, a member of the attacking team would stand at the place where the touchdown was made, and punt the ball out into the field of play, and where a team mate caught the ball; that is where the goal attempt would be made from (which is where we get the conversion being taken opposite where the try was scored). The opposition was allowed to charge the kick.

that video is perfect, they should have screened it in Dublin bars last night! Also I'm glad the footage showed the french forward pass from RWC 07, that was clearly thrown forward (as was a couple of ours from other clips but not nearly as important!) Owens yesterday seemed desperate for that pass to be called forward, don't know if we felt for Ireland or wanted NZ to lose but there was never anything wrong with it. I know people will always say 'use the technology' but nearly every try is looked at now.
And yes, ban the conversion charge down

Why should the kicker be pressured in any way when the ball is CLEARLY not in play? If you think this is just fine, then why can't player(s) charge when it's a penalty?

I like the possiblity of being able to charge down conversions. When its done correctly it means that the fate of the kick isn't entirely out of the control of the opposing team. We once lost a game because we charged down a conversion and then the referee called it back because we yelled why charging - which apparently we weren't allowed to do, but overall its always worth a shot.

Why should the kicker be pressured in any way when the ball is CLEARLY not in play? If you think this is just fine, then why can't player(s) charge when it's a penalty?

Latest posts