Converting to Scrum Half from the wing

lewis2000

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Gloucester
Afternoon guys

As the ***le says, having played wing last season (mainly because I haven't played since i was 12/13, and I needed to learn the game, as well as being short (5'7) and not that slow), I have been chatting to my manager the last week or so, who is convinced that I should play scrum half this season.

My only issue is (and it's fairly big for a scrum half) is that my passing isn't brilliant. What I was wondering was if anyone had any tips/videos/explanations for really improving on my passing, both off the ground, and from hand. I know that it takes practice, and I'm willing to put the hours in, but would prefer if i had an explanation of the basics so as to give me some reasons I am going wrong! If I can get it largely sorted before pre-season in a month, I am pretty sure I can give a good account for myself at SH.

Any advice is much appreciated (Also, general scrum half tips more than welcome!!)

Thanks

Lewis

Converting from scrumhalf is, unfortunately, easier. But, I actually did play scrumhalf a few times when I was about 13/14, so I don't really remember that much of the specifics per say, but I'll offer a few, admittedly poor tips. Also no matter what you will become some supporters pet hate, if you get slow crappy ball and then take a few seconds to organize your forwards- you can't deliver quick ball and are subsequently useless; if you fling it out in a manicly thus delivering said quick ball it will put and unorganized attack under pressure. Be warned!!!
First: You've got to be able to pass, pass, pass, and pass again, consistently off both sides. Your passing should be around chest high, and also varied, don't just give it to the outhalf, pops to forwards, switching sides every now and then, allow pick and go's, run it out from the ruck and then pass, it doesn't just have to be a static pass all the time- I know from my first few games there that it was daunting as f**k to attempt anything else, but don't be afraid to try and mix and match a bit. Check youtube for videos of drills, but most importantly don't try and force yourself into passing in a way that makes you feel too uncomfortable- you'll end up thinking about it too much! Instead what I found very helpful in developing my own pass was just to spin it up into the air, at varying heights and angles- it sounds stupid, but passing felt more natural to me after spending time doing it.
Check out videos of Peter Stringer- or just watch old Munster or Ireland videos, his pass was crisp, quick as hell, and he encouraged the player he was passing to to run onto the ball by placing it just in front of them. Seriously watch him and you'll learn a lot about proper positioning of the feet upon arrival at the ruck to ensure quick and clean delivery (your main aim!).
Second: Play to your strengths. Take for example Mike Phillips, not the greatest SH ever, but incredibly effective! As a winger you probably have decent pace, and are fairly handy at spotting and going through gaps, use this to your advantage and attack the fringes every now and then. It will keep the opposition defence guessing, and if done correctly, will take a lot of pressure of the rest of your team (esp. the outhalf). Don't overdo it though.
Third: Communication. Talk to your outhalf and forwards, if you want something to happen don't just expect it to tell your players what you want, but also just as importantly listen to your players if they tell you something (esp. your outhalf).
Fourth: Awareness. You need to be aware of where your players are and where the opposition players are. As well as being aware of what both your players and the oppositions can and can't do, if they have a full back or winger out of position for example, it might be a good time to chuck a kick his way. Also some players hate passes coming too quick at them if they have poor hands, although the best way around this is actually supplying a good pass in the first place.
Fifth: Just chuck it about with your mates, they will be more than able to tell you how crap everything your doing is and how you are making life difficult for them!

Mainly though watch videos on youtube of the likes of Stringer, Yachvili, Pichot, Du Preez- they have all played intelligently and would be a good place to start learning from. Also don't forget to listen to your teammates and coaches they will be able to analyze the way you are playing, and what can be done to improve upon this better than anybody else. Remeber though confidence is key, if you cock up at SH it is very easy to loose confidence and thus lessen your impact on the game vastly!
I hope this helps, I'm afraid I can't really go into any great tactical depth as I never really played there much.

Wow, for someone who didn't play it or go into great tactical depth, there are a large amount of tips there! Thank you very much! I will read and digest these properly later, but skim reading this offers some very good tips! I know what you mean about passing off both hands, unfortunately the scrum halves I played with last year were very one hand dominant and I saw how frustating that was!

I will definitely check out those youtube videos you recommended!

As a forward I will say keep talking to your pack all the time tell them exactly what you want and tell them what they're doing before the ball is ready etc. If it's a ball of 9 you aren't passing like you do to a 10. While you want them to run onto it usually you want to put it into there chest stomach region so that they have full control in contact and you don't want to fire it in like you would normally do to a back.

As a forward I will say keep talking to your pack all the time tell them exactly what you want and tell them what they're doing before the ball is ready etc. If it's a ball of 9 you aren't passing like you do to a 10. While you want them to run onto it usually you want to put it into there chest stomach region so that they have full control in contact and you don't want to fire it in like you would normally do to a back.

Seconded- apart from the obvious (improving your pass) one of the biggest things you'll have to do as a 9 is communicate with your pack. BE LOUD, and make sure your forwards know when you want the ball and when you want them to take it for you.

Right, to summarise then, BE LOUD!
Shout at my forwards. That I can do (had better use simple words though ;)
That makes sense about passing to the forwards, and using a little pop rather than a full spin pass!

No offence, but if someone thought I had the makings of a scrum-half, I'd ****ing kill myself.

A lot of it's been said. A few things I'd add

One reasonable, very simple drill is to put three balls on the floor, run from the balls to a cone and run back, pass the ball to someone waiting where the fly-half would be, then repeat until you've passed all the balls, then start again. I've noticed Ulster do it a lot.

If you are going to have a snipe around the edges - tell your forwards to take hard, straight lines off of you when you do. That'll allow you to dummy and go convincingly - and if you don't think you're getting through, you can then give the ball to a forward to get hit.

Don't be shy about having a little stamp if it stops the other team from keeping their hands on the ball when you want it out. Do be shy about getting caught.

Finally, remember, in defence you don't stand in the line - you're sweeping round.

Peat, on that last point, when you say sweeping round, as in stood 5 yards behind the line?

Peat, on that last point, when you say sweeping round, as in stood 5 yards behind the line?

Uhm, about that at a guess, but I'm no scrum-half and therefore can't speak with surety. Keep a close eye on the scrummies come Saturday, that'll give you a better idea. But the important part isn't how far behind the line you are, it's that you're following the ball across a) because you've got the pace to nail any line-breaks b) should there be a turnover, you're on hand to move it.

That makes sense, especially about the turnover ball!
Thanks mate! I'm not quite in the Mike Phillips mould, so may struggle to pick up too much from him, but i'm sure from the remaining 5 SH's I can gleam a tip or 2!

I'd love to move back to scrummie now that I'm a bback ..Lots of pressure but I can control the game and play it the way I like it

bback? Yeh, I'm looking forward to having more influence on the game, and last season we kept switching sh's, which doesn't help the back line + forwards learn how to play!

i currently play scrum half after converting from 12/11/14 two seasons ago make sure you can box kick and that your team have full confidence in you before you make the move to 9

Latest posts