Cooper commits to Australian rugby till 2012

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Quade Cooper's magical skills will continue to propel the Wallabies and Queensland Reds in 2012 with the gifted playmaker recommitting to Australian rugby.
Cooper is expected to announce a new one-year deal with the Australian Rugby Union on Thursday, continuing the growing trend of Wallabies re-signing beyond this year's World Cup in New Zealand.
While the Queensland Reds have been extremely confident their star five-eighth would remain at Ballymore, the announcement is nonetheless a major boost to rising Super Rugby's pacesetters.
Cooper last year agreed to a new two-year deal with the Reds before signing on for just one season with the ARU after attracting NRL attention, including a highly-lucrative offer from Parramatta.
By taking a single-season contract the 23-year-old, now regarded as the second best No.10 in the game behind All Blacks maestro Daniel Carter, was able to increase his salary with his improved standing in the game.
It will also leave the quick-stepping, flick-passing flyhalf well placed to negotiate another big deal next year when a second Brisbane NRL team hopes to be admitted into an expanded 2013 premiership.
Since having his future clouded by a bizarre burglary charge on the Gold Coast in December 2009, Cooper has cemented himself among Australia's most important three players, alongside Reds halves partner Will Genia and Test flanker David Pocock.
The New Zealand-bred, Brisbane-schooled back enjoyed a brilliant 2010 Super Rugby season to win the Australian player of the year award and went on to start all of the Wallabies' Tests at No.10, except for a two-match ban for a dangerous tackle in the Tri-Nations.
With 60 Super Rugby caps under his belt for the Reds to go along with his 24 Tests, Cooper hinted before this season's opening round he was keen to stay in Brisbane by admitting he hoped to become a 100-match Queensland player like mentor Tim Horan and Chris Latham.
His re-signing appeared a formality last week when he told AAP he was hopeful of close friend James O'Connor joining him in the Reds star-studded backline next year.
The Western Force whiz-kid indicated he would decide his future during the Force's bye week but is still yet to make his call between four of the five Australian provinces.
Cooper said he supported O'Connor in whatever choice he made and was mindful about not pressuring the Test utility back.
"I've had a few chats to him about it but I'm not going to try and sway him to the Reds," Cooper told AAP.
"I don't want to put too much pressure on him.
"When I was going through the same decision there was always a lot fo people who gave their opinion and sometimes it becomes a bit too much."
Cooper's re-signing follows that of Reds Test players James Horwill and Ben Daley, as well as rising winger Luke Morahan, but Queensland have a fight to keep strike weapon Digby Ioane from accepting a massive offer from Japanese club Kubota.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/9468263/quade-to-stay-in-rugby-after-world-cup/

Good news. It will put the NRL rumor nonsense to sleep for another 12 months.

Great news despite his sketchy history I love the guy comes up with some fantastic stuff. One of my favorite players not sure hes the 2nd best 10 in the world? Needs to work on hid defense if he wants that ***le.

Aye, i'm a big fan of QC too - his defence is suspect, and the pressure can get to his kicking (though I must say he's looking a lot better in that department recently) but he pulls off some bloody insane moves. It must be bad for your heart if he's playing for your team though (crossfield kick in your own in goal for example - good job it worked :p )

I havn't seen the reds as much as I liked this year been a bit busy when did that happen olyy?

I havn't seen the reds as much as I liked this year been a bit busy when did that happen olyy?
Err Reds vs Cheetahs if I recall correctly, but I could be wrong, I've been to every game this year :p

Dam that was impressive but reckless I'll admit even funny he is joy to watch.

... "expected to sign" and the part about agreeing to a two year deal with the Reds last year, and then only signing for one with the ARU leads me to not take it as a done deal until he actually signs

... I got burnt with the whole "James O'Conner is going to sign with the Rebels" thing a couple of weeks back ... so i'm a little gun shy when it comes to announcements regarding Australian players :D

... Anyway, great news for the Reds if it happens

To me it looks like Cooper has the Australian Rugby Union by the balls
One year contracts are only beneficial to the players that sign them imo, and just show who has the upperhand in negotiations

To me it looks like Cooper has the Australian Rugby Union by the balls
One year contracts are only beneficial to the players that sign them imo, and just show who has the upperhand in negotiations
Well who should benefit from them? the ARU or the players, obviously players are the ones who have to benefit, so I think it's perfectly fine the ARU just want to keep him so who knows he might sign 10 more 1 year contracts. It's more important to keep a player that is a huge benefit to Australian Rugby than to say "Well no we want you to sign a 3 year deal" and for him to just bugger off overseas to get more money.

They need to get used to it. Khoder Nasser is his manager now (i think). He is a pain in the arse, and i wouldn't be surprised if he told Quade to say that he'd "like to play NRL is the future" in his interviews yesterday.

Well who should benefit from them? the ARU or the players, obviously players are the ones who have to benefit, so I think it's perfectly fine the ARU just want to keep him so who knows he might sign 10 more 1 year contracts. It's more important to keep a player that is a huge benefit to Australian Rugby than to say "Well no we want you to sign a 3 year deal" and for him to just bugger off overseas to get more money.

I know what you are saying, but when a player only wants such a short contract, its says something about his commitment to the team (even if he does give it all and what not)
Just look at Carter, signed a long contract, which has little bits in it that make it extremely beneficial to him, which means that the ABs can sit comfortable in the knowledge that they have at least one position of stability in the team for several years, can work on a replacement as well, you can't do that properly in 1-2 years

Playing for your country shouldn't be about pay, it should be about what is best for your country (p.s. I know he is a Kiwi, but he chose to represent Aus so he considers himself an Aus)

I know what you are saying, but when a player only wants such a short contract, its says something about his commitment to the team (even if he does give it all and what not)
Just look at Carter, signed a long contract, which has little bits in it that make it extremely beneficial to him, which means that the ABs can sit comfortable in the knowledge that they have at least one position of stability in the team for several years, can work on a replacement as well, you can't do that properly in 1-2 years

Playing for your country shouldn't be about pay, it should be about what is best for your country (p.s. I know he is a Kiwi, but he chose to represent Aus so he considers himself an Aus)

That is true in an ideal world, but in reality they need to make a living and provide for their family.

Latest posts