Cory Jane likely to be out for the season

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Hurricanes wing, Cory Jane's 2013 rugby season appears it may be over before it's even started.

Jane hurt his right knee at an open training session at Paraparaumu yesterday.

An MRI scan today has revealed a ruptured ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) that will require surgery. Jane will see an orthopaedic surgeon as soon as possible to determine the next course of action.

Until Jane has seen the surgeon, it's unknown how long the wing will be out of action, according to the Hurricanes medical team.

The 29 year-old Jane's used to fighting to come back from adversity. He just made the RWC squad after a lacklustre, injury-hit Super Rugby season in 2011. But he returned to finish the campaign and played well for the All Blacks in the pre RWC tests that followed and blossomed in the tournament.

"It is devastating for Cory to have suffered this serious injury when he was looking so strong for this season following such a successful 2012. We know that CJ is focussed and dedicated to his rehabilitation. So he will be committed to working hard in his recovery to come back better and stronger," coach Mark Hammett said.

"This is not the news we wanted to hear at the start of the season and we acknowledge the loss of a world-class player. However, we have a strong squad for 2013 and CJ's misfortune means it's an opportunity for another player to step up."

It's expected Jane will continue to play a strong leadership role and assist the Hurricanes management in this year's competition.

"Cory's energy, experience and public following means he still has a lot to give to the game and the team," Mark Hammett said.

http://www.allblacks.com/news/21453/Cory-Jane-likely-to-be-out-for-the-season

Devistating loss for the Hurricanes and All Blacks. Arguably the best right wing in the world. Hurricanes don't have any players really anywhere near his class to fill in the right wing. Alapati Leiua is better at centre in my opinion - and while I like him I think he lacks the speed to to a very good job on the wing. Richard Buckman has looked far out of his depth every time he has played for the Canes - which admittedly is not a lot, but he had a shocker last time. Matt Proctor is still extremely young, and I think to think a little over rated (and I say that as a Wellington fan). We're in trouble.

The implications for the All Blacks are also very interesting. I doubt Gear will play on the right wing with Savea on the left, which leaves me to think Kahui may be wanted to play there (love him in just about every other position but wing, in which he's just good). Also the possibility Ben Smith will be asked to play there. My choice would be (providing there aren't any bolters, which there could be for a new season of SR) - 11. Savea, 14. Dagg, 15. Taylor. Doubt we'd see it though.

Wow ... that's bad news for Cory, the ABs, and the Canes ... wouldn't mind seeing Ben Smith on the right wing for the ABs .... do I get a vote from Darwin in the TRFies for saying that ;)

Wow ... that's bad news for Cory, the ABs, and the Canes ... wouldn't mind seeing Ben Smith on the right wing for the ABs .... do I get a vote from Darwin in the TRFies for saying that ;)
...Maybe, but you'll have his undying appreciation.

I'm sure that as deliriously pro Ben Smith as he is - he must realize that it's his worst regular position. I also don't see it as a place that he'll get a great career out of - much better he works at centre, and if need be fullback. I still don't think he has enough speed to be a great winger - and I think he needs a bit more space to excell (I know he's probably as quick as Cory Jane, but Cory Jane seems to do well without space).

Man this sucks... Hope it's not for the entire season... Keeping the faith!

Oh ****.

Not necessarily for the ABs but more for the 'Canes. Let's hope the young guys can carry their form from last year.

This is a massive blow for the Canes (yep, I know I'm a bit slow responding to this!). Jane is one of the premier wings in world rugby, and he is also someone that makes those players around him play better (due to his work-rate, anticipation, creative skills etc) - the likes of Savea and Taylor may find it difficult (though not impossible) to repeat last seasons form without Jane to help guide them. This is certainly a big chance for either Proctor or Leiua to really step up to Super Rugby level. I had never rated Leiua until last years ITM Cup, but he looked to have gained a yard of pace (though more likely he was just more confident and hence backing himself more). If he can bring his ITM Cup rugby into Super Rugby I think he will do a very good job (not a big fan of him at centre, as I don't rate his distribution). Proctor has a pile of talent, and seems to have no problem breaking tackles. He really backs himself at times, though this can mean he turns over a bit of ball (either by being taken into touch, or losing it in contact). I like his potential, but I'm not sure he is ready to start at Super Rugby level yet.

In terms of AB's options I think this has already been pretty well covered. At this stage I think Kahui would be the best choice (if fit!), as he excels whenever he plays for the AB's, no matter which position. Ben Smith is certainly an option, though as Nick says wing is the worst of his regular positions, as he is far better in the role of a creator than a finisher (I do like the idea of 11. Savea, 14. Dagg, 15, Smith though....). Gear will be close, while Andre Taylor could force his way into contention with some strong performances. In terms of youngsters I reckon the likes of Piutau and McNicholl could be close by the end of the season. Both are outstanding attacking options, and both possess the 'fullback skills' that the AB's coaches have looked for in their right wings over recent seasons. I should probably wait until McNicholl has played a few Super Rugby games before I talk him up too much though!

Latest posts