• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Could Worcester become a top 6 quality team ??

04perryo

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Worcester
Although most of Worcester's signings haven't been great this season, next season could be the year that the club can actually win more games then lose in my opinion.

Not sure if anyone knows but Worcester have just signed a Vickery as knew forwards coach alongside Rourre who is the Biarritz attack coach. Vickery i think will be a great attribute with all his experience, however Rourre also looks promising considering the quality of biarritz attack (albeit not the best year for biarritz) and furthermore have got a good relationship with biarritz now so hopefully we can sign some decent players from them.

Also now Rassmusan has finally decided to retire, Worcester will have quite a tasty attacking backline with lots of available centres to choose from for example the backs could look like this:

10. Goode (When inform has been great)
11. Lemi (when on his day an extremely exiting player)
12. Josh matavesi (since with exeter he has put on about 3 stone and is now a good all round player powerful player)
13. Grove/Clarke (real big competition for a starting spot there)
14. Nikki walker ( good finisher and strong)
15.Pennell (Needs to go hes useless hopefully Classens will play there next year)

Not a bad backline and our forwards (might be biased here) are some of the best pack of forwards in the premiership.

So as a optimistic fan i believe worcester should be aiming high next season.

What do the rest of you think am i being overly optimistic and where do you predict Worcester will finish next season?

Undeniably they have a good squad - but its nothing compared to this seasons top 6, all who have bolstered their squads and are looking equally competitive for the top 6 as this year. Equally, you've got Gloucester who have a massively exciting back-line and hopefully a good coach, London Irish who are recruiting pretty smartly, and Bath with a reasonable squad and a massive new coaching team. So I reckon that Worcester are looking about 10th.

Also no world cup means that the teams are going to be going for it right from the start.

Who knows - Sale finished 6 despite almost getting relegated a few times in previous seasons.

I, personally, don't think Worcester will finish 6 however their squad is improving and I could see them finishing 7-9th

yeah may be 6th was a bit ambxious but i think we should come higher then 10th

Well whats your match day top 23 look like then? i havent kept track of all the worcester pack signings?

To answer your question yes they could, but the real question is will they.
If Andy Goode can maintain his fitness & play well throughout the year & your pack can perform of course you can, but I'd be thinking more about building next season into a stronger team mid table then with a stable team plus additions aim higher from there on.

Rourre also looks promising considering the quality of biarritz attack (albeit not the best year for biarritz) and furthermore have got a good relationship with biarritz now so hopefully we can sign some decent players from them.

I understand that Rourre has a lot of respect but I really do wonder where everyone gets the belief that Biarritz has a quality attack?

They have not had such for a good number of years....indeed the last I really remember was the one that ripped Leicester apart in the first half of a H Cup game in 2005?

Our best back line last year was

Balshaw (not been at his best since Lions tour under Henry but not bad),
Ngwenya (fabulous but can occasionally be weak in defence),
Haylett Petty (a full back) or Bosch (utility player),
Traille (brilliant ex-international who just may have lost his hunger),
any one of Bolakoro/Burotu/Caprice who all hidden and only play when forced to use them,
Perylongue (not a Top 14 fly half although brave and loyal, and
Yach.

This will change with the inclusion of Brew and berquist but how good are they?

My point in saying all this is that the same comments on the individuals can be levelled at the Worcester back line outlined above so good luck with Rourre................every back's coach must have the talent to work with no matter how good he is!

Can they improve...yes!
Will they....yes!
Will they enough to avoid a relegation battle.............maybe!

I understand that Rourre has a lot of respect but I really do wonder where everyone gets the belief that Biarritz has a quality attack?

who has the belief that Biarritz has a quality attack?

the team that people most often mistake as a great attacking side is Clermont, they were a very good attacking side when Joe Schmidt was the backs coach, but ever since he left they have turned into very much a forwards orientated side

who has the belief that Biarritz has a quality attack?

Most Commentators and pundits on Sky and ESPN plus, of course, 04Perry above..................perhaps "people" would have been better than "everyone" though.

ASM were the top points scorers (644) this season but cannot find breakdown between tries and others?

Last edited:
Trust me if you were a Worcester fan, Biarritz would most certainly seem a very good attacking side...

Trust me if you were a Worcester fan, Biarritz would most certainly seem a very good attacking side...

What about putting them together.............we might get a half decent back line!!

In all seriousness, Worcester a top 6 side?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me Worcester will soon be beating leinster by 50 odd points (im still waiting for Podcast 5 ;))

04perryo;506849Worcester have just signed a Vickery as knew forwards coach alongside Rourre who is the Biarritz attack coach. [/QUOTE said:
Appears that Rourre is NOT coming to be a coach at Worcester but will be a part time advisor holding clinics whilst remaining at the Biarritz Academy..................It would appear that Hill and Blanco go back aways?

Vers des échanges avec Worcester - Non, Mathieu Rourre ne quitte pas le Biarritz Olympique. Annoncé partant pour l'Angleterre et les Worcester Warriors, le directeur du centre de formation a démenti tout départ. « Je ne quitte pas le Biarritz Olympique. Je reste à 100 %, et ma mission prioritaire, c'est la direction du centre de formation ». Voilà qui met les points sur les « i ». Mais l'ancien entraîneur de l'équipe de France des moins de 19 ans (2004-2007) va néanmoins travailler avec le club entraîné par Richard Hill. « Nous sommes en train de travailler sur un concept d'échanges avec Worcester, précise Mathieu Rourre. Dans des domaines comme la formation, ou le jeu ».

Mathieu Rourre is not leaving Biarritz Olympique. It was announced that he was leaving for England and Worcester Warriors. The director of the training center has denied any departure.

"I am not leaving Biarritz Olympique. I remain 100%, and my primary mission, is the direction of the training centre.

The former coach of France's Under-19 years (2004-2007) will still work with the club led by Richard Hill.

"We are working on a concept of exchanges with Worcester", says Mathieu Rourre. "in areas such as training for the game. "

Great we screwed thats it biarritz letting us down haha, hopefully it wont make to much differance...

Latest posts